Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,

Bit of a long shot but I'm experiencing a strange fault when accelerating gently at speeds of 40mph plus and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Quick summary. Bought car for next to nothing, replaced lots of bits to get it through mot. Drove fine for approximately 1000 miles and then started playing up.

My car is a 2012 2.0 TDCi 140bhp (DW10C) I believe and what happens is this.

Cruising along at 60mph in 6th seems to be the most common time for it to occur if I gently push the accelerator (to overtake a lorry) for example

I get engine malfunction flash up on dash, esp light illuminates or flashes and car goes into reduced power mode for a short time (maybe 15-20 seconds). In this short time gradually power is restored and it starts driving normal again.

Each time it happens I have scanned it with Forscan and I get one persistent code as follows.

DTC's in ABS: U0401:68-48

Detail U0401 - Invalid Data Received from ECM/PCM A

Silly as it sounds I was aware that I had the wrong size tyres on (taken from my MK3) at 205/50/17 when they should have been 215/50/17's and according to a similar problem some guy had with a focus online I decided to invest just north of £600 in some 18" CMS alloys and what I believe to be the correct 235/40/18's in the very vague hope it may make a difference. Alas, it did not. In fact if anything it has made it worse. Once straight away whilst joining the dual carriageway and then 3 consecutive times the following morning.

Other codes I have seen although I would have thought are not necessarily related to this issue are

P1168: Fuel pressure sensor in range but low.

P1169: Fuel pressure sensor in range but high

P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1) Circuit short to ground

The reason I am discounting these is that they seem to show up regardless of the engine malfunction/limp mode issue or not. ( I reset them after every scan)

I also noticed there are bubbles in the fuel line going into the high pressure pump so I'm guessing the first 2 could probably be solved by sorting that.

I did buy and fit a second hand fuel rail and pipes due to a blown injector seal making a nice gunky mess of them (something I found after I bought the car) I also had to disconnect the fuel pipes on the left hand side to change the top engine mount and noticed what appeared to be gaffer tape where the pipes join. Maybe the pressure switch on the fuel rail could be suspect. Maybe air getting into the fuel line is the culprit.

Also seen the following errors but just the once and to be fair I think it was because I had the HS/MS switch in the wrong position.

B112B: Steering Wheel Module - Mechanical Failures

U0126 Lost communication with steering angle sensor module

U0151 Lost communication with Restraints control module

U0140 Lost communication with Body control module

P1607 - MIL output circuit - Missing Message

U0010 - Medium speed CAN communication Bus

U0200 - Lost communication with door control module B

I was thinking maybe I have a dodgy ABS module connection either in the engine bay or where it presumably connects to the BCM behind the glove box. I did change the cabin filter which was a pig. Maybe I've disturbed something there?

The only reason I have my doubts is that whenever this happens I'm only cruising on a nice smooth road. I drive on plenty of bumpy roads where I live and it's never done it once, only ever on the fast roads.

The car has done 210K which I know is a lot and I would consider buying a recon engine but I'm just not convinced this is an engine issue so why splash out that much case only to have the problem remain? She starts on the button and purrs now thanks to the new leak off pipes (that's another story) so I'm fairly happy that she has some more life left in her. I will be getting the timing belt and water pump changed if I can solve this issue as there is no history and if you read my diary (coming soon) you will see that the poor girl appears to have been pretty mistreated in her short life service wise.

If anyone has any idea what could be going on I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think you're focusing on the wrong codes, to be fair.

An ABS fault will not cause your car to go into limp mode. All an ABS fault will affect is the braking system. You may lose ABS, but you will still have normal brakes. Engine performance will be unaffected.

Fuel pressure codes and O2 issues, on the other hand, are very relevant to engine performance and you should look at getting them resolved.

The fact that you are saying that you clear them and then they come back again the next time you run a scan tells you that you have some issues.

These codes will also have an affect on emissions - which could lead to MoT failure.

·
Super Moderator
29,376 Posts
I don't use 6th gear until closer to 70mph.

Compare the throttle movement percentage in 5th gear and 6th gear using

Forscan or your ODB software. You may find that your actually pushing the

throttle down further in 6th gear requiring a larger fuel demand.

Not tested it on my MK4.5 with the same engine but did tests on my old MK3

2L Diesel.

40mph in 4th gear used less fuel and less throttle than 40mph in 5th gear on the

same stretch of road repeated several times over.

40mph in 4th gear used just 9% throttle, changing upto 5th dropped the revs

as expected but the throttle was now at 18% with additional fuel being injected

to bring the torque up.

That alone should not cause limp mode though, just worse fuel consumption.

As TheAntman mentions start at the air bubbles in the fuel and the O2 sensor

issues and see where that leads you.

Shorting O2 sensor sending corrupt data which is upsetting other systems?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you're focusing on the wrong codes, to be fair.

An ABS fault will not cause your car to go into limp mode. All an ABS fault will affect is the braking system. You may lose ABS, but you will still have normal brakes. Engine performance will be unaffected.

Fuel pressure codes and O2 issues, on the other hand, are very relevant to engine performance and you should look at getting them resolved.

The fact that you are saying that you clear them and then they come back again the next time you run a scan tells you that you have some issues.

These codes will also have an affect on emissions - which could lead to MoT failure.
I tend to agree. I wouldn't have thought the ABS could cause an engine malfunction but that error only ever shows up after it does it's thing and the traction control light comes on at the same time so it seems related somehow. If the light didn't come on I would presume it was a separate fault. Not sure if limp mode is a correct term for it to be fair. It seems to lose pretty much all power, there is no MIL light and it gradually comes back whilst still driving. Beginning to wonder if it could be pressure pipes on the DPF.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't use 6th gear until closer to 70mph.

Compare the throttle movement percentage in 5th gear and 6th gear using

Forscan or your ODB software. You may find that your actually pushing the

throttle down further in 6th gear requiring a larger fuel demand.

Not tested it on my MK4.5 with the same engine but did tests on my old MK3

2L Diesel.

40mph in 4th gear used less fuel and less throttle than 40mph in 5th gear on the

same stretch of road repeated several times over.

40mph in 4th gear used just 9% throttle, changing upto 5th dropped the revs

as expected but the throttle was now at 18% with additional fuel being injected

to bring the torque up.

That alone should not cause limp mode though, just worse fuel consumption.

As TheAntman mentions start at the air bubbles in the fuel and the O2 sensor

issues and see where that leads you.

Shorting O2 sensor sending corrupt data which is upsetting other systems?
It happened last weekend while in 5th at about 55. Interesting thought about the O2 sensor. Definitely need to sort that. I did check the soot percentage with Forscan at the weekend which reads 51%. Also tried a manual static dpf regen and just after it said it was going to start it came up with an "unrecognised abort command". Checked the DPF pressure readings via live data as well and that was at 0 psi at idle and rises and falls with engine speeds as expected. To be fair I did find the labels for about 3 bottles of Redex DPF cleaner in the boot and I ran one through myself before it was MOT'd so who knows? Maybe it is time for a new one :mad:

·
Super Moderator
29,376 Posts
There should be several DPF readings. Several soot loads.

Its possible one maybe low but the other at 300%. Mine did that.

Failed a regen for some unknown reason and its never done it since either.

It failed to try again because one reading was at 300%.

I got the car upto temperature and then reset all the DPF values using Forscan

and then drove off straight away. 300% reset to zero, as I drove up teh dual carriageway

that figure started climbing and when it reached approx 80% the exhaust temp climed to

600ºC+ and after a little drive the 80% started dropping to around 30%(ish).

Never failed a regen since, but be careful not to do a static regen if overloaded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There should be several DPF readings. Several soot loads.

Its possible one maybe low but the other at 300%. Mine did that.

Failed a regen for some unknown reason and its never done it since either.

It failed to try again because one reading was at 300%.

I got the car upto temperature and then reset all the DPF values using Forscan

and then drove off straight away. 300% reset to zero, as I drove up teh dual carriageway

that figure started climbing and when it reached approx 80% the exhaust temp climed to

600ºC+ and after a little drive the 80% started dropping to around 30%(ish).

Never failed a regen since, but be careful not to do a static regen if overloaded.
Tried to force a regen while forscan running in real time. 70mph in 4th and dpf soot went from 60% to 25%. Drove for about half hour to get this result. Then next day tried again and it was back up to 70%. Tried to record screen while driving but tablet crapped out over frame rates. Am I right in thinking there is no way to measure the amount of ash in the dpf? Gonna try taking it off and having a look. If it's trash I might get a new one but does anyone know if they come with the vaporiser or is that extra?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts