Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Megger
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Me and my g/f went away to a hotal for the weekend, was having a great time until it was time to go home. we got back to my car to find some little s.o.b's had had ago at my lock with a screw driver and smashed 2 of my windows, bending the window frams while they were at it! my g/f was furious but i was still calm "thats what car insurance is for" i said to my self as i drove 4 hours home at 70mph+ with two windows missing (very chilly indeed)

any who, got home and called both RAC autoglass and my insurance company. this is what it boils down to.

- rac cant say they will fix glass until they have seen it coz of window frame damage means they might not be able to, so body work needs fixing first.
-called car insurer, told them im fully comp and what happened and what state my car is in. turns out i have three choices
1. pay £60 to get just the two windows fixed and keep my years no claim
2. pay £220 to get both windows fixed, plus body damage, but... lose my no claim
3. pay for all damages out of my own pocket

so let me get this straight, me, a law obiding citizen, left my car in a car park only for some little f****rs, who by the way the police are doing nothing about, to smash it up! i was kinda ok about this until i found out that car insurance was just a fancy name for "daylight robbery"
-why do i have to pay an excess charge? (isnt the money ive been paying over the months enough?)
-why do i lose my no claims? (it wasnt my fricken fault!!!) if i claim my insurance will go up, like it wasnt already high enough

i wish the w*****s had done a proper job, set fire to it, or written it off. that way i wud get a big sum of money and cu dby a new car.

so why in the blue hell do we have to pay ridiculous amounts of money each month? i thought it was just incase sh1t happens we're covered. so then when sh1t finally does happen why do we still have to pay! what exactly have they done with the £5,000+ i have paid over the years? if after a year of driving i dont claim, shouldnt i get my money back?

it's now easy to see why so many drivers dont have insurance, whats the penalty? 6 points and £1000 fine? i'll tell you somethign right now, if it wasnt for the chance of losing my license i woudl say "f**k insurance!" and save my self some money.

well needless to say i am no longer calm, im now waiting for a rac person to call me back, all the while my car is on the drive way with two gaping holes in the side, and oh look... its getting dark...

question. cant i get them back?(the insurers i mean) cant i say they broke in, took my sat nav, my cds, original copy of the bible (hand signed by jesus him self) and some other stuff (even tho they didnt take nothin). can they check and then do me for fraude? or will it work. i mean its only fair, they do me out of my money each month.

grr

rant over

·
MEG Captain
3,040 Posts
welcome to the world of motoring m8

ive just had a car written off by somebody i have to pay the excess 120-00 plus i paid 70-00 of the hire car charges so i am 190-00 out of pocket thats how it goes i am afraid i will eventualy get mine back

at least dick turpin wore a mask when he robbed people

·
AWOL
19,522 Posts
Sadly, if your no claims isn't protected then you are stuffed if you make a claim. I'd get a quote for the door repair and see if it's worth covering it all yourself.

The police are usually under resources and out dealing with bigger things - unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your viewpoint, no-one was hurt so your problem isn't a big priority to them. They will usually send someone round to log the details but it may take a day or two.

·
Soldier of Fortune
1,806 Posts
Even protected no claims isn't protected! They still try and worm out of that one too. Trust me, I've been there.

·
Registered
680 Posts
bend the frame back, touch up any cracked paint, get some new glass from the scrappers, -you probably cant claim for you signed copy of the bible anyway, you would have to claim for this on your house insurance!

it winds me up to how people smash up other peoples cars, Im sure they cant realise how much it cost us and just think 'theyve got insurance'.

·
Registered
67 Posts
somebody kicked my left mirror when i was at a crossing, sitting in my car.

police came and wrote it down, but the process was stopped cause of lacking civilian interest.

they totally crashed my mirror and nobody cares a f****!

·
Little Megger
39 Posts
when you work out the cost of the average repair to a car after an accident then you will understand why insurance companies are as tight as they are

you work out say you pay around 600 quid a year and have a bump which can exceed that easily, the year after when your premium goes up people go else where meaning the company you were just with cant get the money back from you

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
but for every 1 person that claims on their insurance i bet their are 50 that dont , it is a con and a racket , i renewed my insurance last year and got it cheaper for a 51 plate zetec compared to a t reg rover 216 , in my opinion it is only a fool that stays loyal to any one insurance company , i reckon i have proved it by getting my buildings and contents insurance cheaper as well by switching :L

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
really sorry but im going to have to disagree with you there.

ive worked in both areas ...insurance and at a body repair shop.

The repair center will more often than not use a second hand door for £30 and charge for a NEW door £300
They will respray and charge for the job as long as it takes them ...not ACTUAL time so lets say they did an hour a day for three days they charge for 3 days labour.

As for the insurance companies....... your sort of right as JUST becasue you have paid £600 a year if you hit somebody the damage can be anything up to 2 grand (and more) then what about personel injust claims maybe another 2k. BUT tbh they are in the business of making money and to the most part break a profit.

But there isnt any interest in catching criminals who do car crime as to the most part they are minors and secondly theres "the insurance" its basically pot luck if your claim gets anywhere.

·
MEG Corporal
660 Posts
Oz said:
The police are usually under resources and out dealing with bigger things
Yeh like worrying where there next donut is coming from!!! I dunno about ur area but down this end - their :BEEP: usless... My old old car got done over 3 times in as many weeks.. I knew who the little shits were - told the bill this and the reply was 'nothing we can do' so took matters into my own hands :whistling:

·
MEG Corporal
660 Posts
claphd1 said:
Even protected no claims isn't protected! They still try and worm out of that one too. Trust me, I've been there.
same here - just been told @ xmas that my 'Protected NCB' is no longer protected due to a 50/50 claim I had with my previous insurers (which wasn't my fault) in december 2004! and my current insurance is due to be re-newed soon :(

·
Little Megger
39 Posts
bathrug said:
really sorry but im going to have to disagree with you there.

ive worked in both areas ...insurance and at a body repair shop.

The repair center will more often than not use a second hand door for £30 and charge for a NEW door £300
They will respray and charge for the job as long as it takes them ...not ACTUAL time so lets say they did an hour a day for three days they charge for 3 days labour.

As for the insurance companies....... your sort of right as JUST becasue you have paid £600 a year if you hit somebody the damage can be anything up to 2 grand (and more) then what about personel injust claims maybe another 2k. BUT tbh they are in the business of making money and to the most part break a profit.

But there isnt any interest in catching criminals who do car crime as to the most part they are minors and secondly theres "the insurance" its basically pot luck if your claim gets anywhere.
dont know what bodyshop you worked in or how long ago but where i work we use nothing but brand new parts just like the other 4 bodyshops ive worked in and the insurance company tell you how much they are going to pay you and how much time you will get to do the job
if we all worked like that i wouldnt be driving a mondeo id have a ferrari

·
Banned
716 Posts
Howie_B said:
claphd1 said:
same here - just been told @ xmas that my 'Protected NCB' is no longer protected due to a 50/50 claim I had with my previous insurers (which wasn't my fault) in december 2004! and my current insurance is due to be re-newed soon :(
I have protected NCB, and it is made clear that this only covers so many claims in a given period of time (if I remember 2 claims in 3 years or something like that), therefore if you have had a claim the previous year and then one this year, your bonus can no longer be protected. In anycase it is all tosh. If you make a claim your premium still goes up. You may still get a 40% discount (or whatever percent 5 years ncb is), but they just increase the full premium so that what you pay still goes up (ie if you had no claims and full NCB, your premium may be £1000 -40% bonus meaning you pay £600, but you have a claim and your premium is increased to £1666.66 - 40% bonus leaving you paying £1000, you still have your ncb...but you don't really if you see what I mean).

As for the original poster. presumably you were not reading the info when you bought your policy. All policy have an amount that you pay before the insurance kicks in. In my case this is £250, the lowest I have ever had was £100. Live with it, you choose to stay in a dodgey area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts