Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Mondeo Mk3 Tdci and a Discovery.

Both are getting old and high mileage.

Mondeo is in for MOT on Thursday, Disocvery MOT untill May 2019.

I want to get back to just one car.

Good tow ability, largish boot, AWD and roof rails are my major requirements.

Not to bothered about extras, both Zetec and Titanium models seems to have all the stuff I would want.

I don't really want a TitX or sport model,

What do you owners think of your Kuga's?

·
Registered
583 Posts
dont have one personally but dad has one on motability. 2.0 TDCi (150) titanium on a 16 plate (i think, its on a private plate). his particular car has powershift auto, appearance pack (roof rails and rear privacy glass, as far as im aware) reversing camera and otherwise pretty much standard titanium kit. its the last of the second gen Kuga's (hockey stick style DRL/Front foglights or whatever they are) and is only 2wd.

anyhow, to date, the only thing he isnt extremely impressed with is fuel consumption. according to the dash he gets mid 40s BUT he previously had a 1.6 TDCI Fiesta for a year and a 1.6 TDCI focus before that, both of which would find 60mpg under the same useage quite easily (both of those were manual transmission)

other than that, he will have done, at a guess, 28-30k miles and had no issues (or none that he has ever mentioned, and he usually DOES) in that time. he plans on replacing it when the time comes with another Kuga.

now a couple of points to note given what you are looking to replace with a Kuga. the boot is a decent size BUT it aint Mondeo size. comparing dads Kuga boot to my mk4 mondeo i was a little underwhelmed to say the least. its adequate for most people but not mondeo sized (according to the pointless official 'litres capacity' test, seats up the Kuga is about 100 litres less than the mondeo).

also you mention tow ability. id imagine a Kuga will match a Mondeo (or be close to it) in that respect but it wont be anywhere NEAR as good as a Discovery. if the boot space and towing ability are issues then perhaps look at the Edge instead? (or a Ranger even!) the boot will be a match for the Mondeo in teh Edge although tow capacity might be a lot lower than the Discovery still.

as for which trim spec to get, looking at a few online, im not sure if the Zetec gets cruise control (not sure if thats an issue or not) that the Titanium does (but the Mondeo gets even on Zetec trim)

overall from my limited experience of riding in dads, it seems to drive well, handles surprisingly well for a 4x4 style car (especially compared to discovery 1 and 2's) has decent ride quality and in my opinion its not too bad on fuel either (i get similar MPG from my Mondeo but i have a heavy right foot and do fewer longer trips than dad)

if the tow ability/capacity is sufficient and the boot space is adequate, im struggling to think of a reason NOT to get one, although unless buying new AWD versions seem to be very thin on the ground.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mrs has a 17 plate one, so a Mk2 facelift Titanium with the 1.5 ecoboost petrol engine, auto box, AWD, power lift tailgate, sight & light pack, appearance pack, and winter pack.

As above really, nice car to drive, even more so with Bluefin bumping it from 180 to 200bhp. Boot is a bit smaller than we'd like but can still easily fit in a bugaboo buggy, large suitcase, king size duvet, pillows, rucksack and some odds and sods when we went on holiday.

MPG is a bit poor at low 20's round town but up to 30's on a run, however the Mrs does have a lead right foot at times :biggrin: Though I think trying to compare a Kuga to a Fiesta on mpg is pointless as the Kuga is a MUCH bigger brick compared to the shoebox Fiesta.

If your towing I'd probably say stick with a diesel as the torque will be better than a petrol. The only downside is it's then a diesel :}

Overall, a really nice car that handles very well, comfortable ride that is reasonably quiet, can get some tyre noise on poor roads, and the roof rails can cause a lot of wind noise (inside the car) when parked up.

Would highly recommend front and rear parking sensors though, even after 18months it's VERY difficult to gauge the front end when parking.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Boot space is important to me, I do a lot of diving, My Discovery will take 3 divers with thier 3 sets of kit.

The Kuga would need a roof box to take all 3 sets. Hence why roof rails are important, I also have Kayaks, witch obviously need roof rack/rails as well,

It interesting that you said the appearance pack includes the rails and privacy glass, of the Kugas I have looked at all Titanium models have had rails, the occasional Zetec has them. Icould always fit them myself, kits about £150.

Kuga boot space is similar to the other cars it competes with.

I have considered

Tiguan - sensible prices, but a really ugly interior, also lots of paintwork in the boot entry area thay will get wrecked. Newer model is much nicer but beyond my budget.

Quasqua - Ruled this out when I looked at the tow capacity - really disappointing 1400-1600kg. For towing, needd to got upto the X-trail, gots expensive.

Antara - they are cheap but expensive on road tax and thirsty.

Freelander - a possible if I find one at a good price they tend ot be expensive or high mileage.Boota bit bigger,

Freelander, Kuga and Tiguan have decent tow weights 2000-2200kg while not as good as the Discovery they will comfortably cope with my boat and caravan.

What ever car I go ofor it will have to have AWD and Diesel, roofrails and towbar a bonue but can be fitted later.

Prefer manual box but wuld not rule out an auto.

·
Chatty Chap
611 Posts
Why not another Discovery? It seems to me that's the yardstick by which you're evaluating all the potential candidates. So why settle for a close enough approximation instead of the real thing?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not another Discovery? It seems to me that's the yardstick by which you're evaluating all the potential candidates. So why settle for a close eough approximation instead of the real thing?
I have had Landrovers for 20 years, I thought I would never have anything else.

But the latest Discovery's are far too expensive to run.

2010 Discovery 100,000miles £12,000 Road tax £540 30mpg

2016 Ford Kuga AWD 34,000 £12,000 Road tax £149 54mpg/

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
AWD Mondeos and Galaxys have been out for a couple of years now. Will not be cheap but capital costs are easier to deal with than running costs. A quick look on Autotrader finds Mondeos at £18k and Galaxys at £22K.

·
Chatty Chap
611 Posts
54 MPG is extremely optimistic. I doubt you'll ever see that in real life. 40 to 45 would be a more reasonable expectation, and that only in optimal conditions. In town you'd be lucky if you got more than 28.

At the end of the day it's still a heavy, all-wheel-drive SUV. Fuel consumption is not its forte.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If boot size is important I would buy another mondeo or possibly The Edge

length of boot floor to back seats with back seat up

Discovery 112cm

Mondeo 111.2cm

Edgge 104cm

Kuga 84cm

For boot space a Kuga wouldn't even be on my Radar.

A good site for dimensions

https://www.ridc.org.uk/4971

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mmmm, if only they were bringing the ST version to the UK :naughty:

·
Registered
924 Posts
we never get the 'best' versions here though, theyre kept for the US markets. like the GT350 Mustang and the V6 Ecoboost Mondeo etc.
I don't know what emojis all mean but I assumed he knew the ST line Edge is being Launched in the UK next month.

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/new-edge?searchid=ppc:UK-Edge-Exact:Edge-Exact:ford%20edge%20st:e:c:g:GOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQiA05zhBRCMARIsACKDWjfKNCspH0PC8jdTop62RTLYblH4VvxCfX2s3kTjfa7fqxUU3TSNZIwaAsbEEALw_wcB

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
I see,

Maybe that woul

I see .

I think that engine would push the start price above £50,000 and in that bracket people would go for a Jaguar F pace R sport?

The Fpace boot floor to back seats is 102.6cm

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,457 Posts
we never get the 'best' versions here though, theyre kept for the US markets. like the GT350 Mustang and the V6 Ecoboost Mondeo etc.

I thought you only rated diesels anyway Peter, so the fact they don't bring in the above petrols matters not for you :)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all your replies, It is surprising how sall the boots are on these SUV's.

We went diving yesterday, Clare offered to take all 3 of us in her RR Evoque, but we couldn't get 3 sets of kit in it so we went in my Discovery.

The problem with the Evoque is there is almost no space above the parcel shelf, the boot itself is reasoable size,

Ford Egde would be a good car but they are still way too expensive for me, there are not many about either. Similar story with Mondeo AWD

Mondeos, there were only 3 on Autotrader and they were all sport versions with lowered supension. None were estates.

Mondeos don't sell well these days, Lookingon AUTOTRADER

Mondeo (2010 or newer) 2,800 of which 44 AWD._ no AWD below £20,000

Kuga (2010 or newer) 5,500 of which 2,100 AWD- plenty of choice

Edge (2010 or newer) 147 of which 144 AWD, Only 2 below £20,000 but both CAT D.

I still have a few months before I need to change vehicle, at present can't see an alternative to a KUGA, I can use a roofbox to increase load space (I have to do this with my Mondeo sometimes).

I am tempted to go for a cheaper one and then maybe upgrade to an Edge in 3-4 years when they are cheaper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts