Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Evening everyone, and first of all HELLO! I'm Chandelirious, and I bought my Mk3 Mondeo estate about a month ago, and so far I am absolutely loving it. I haven't done a proper introduction yet (is there a place for that on here) but I'll get around to that soon enough.

First things first: I've just bought and installed a double din head unit, which I'm pretty pleased with. It comes with the option of wiring up a reverse camera, which I am very interested in doing.

I've looked around, and seen this on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-Reverse-Camera-FORD-MONDEO-S-MAX-FOCUS-FIESTA-KUGA-CCD-Reversing-Camera-/400508629961?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item5d402cb3c9 which I think is pretty much what I'm wanting.

Fitting instructions seem simple enough, and I'm handy enough to give it a go confidently.

However. My one query is this: How do I run the wiring from the tailgate to the head unit? Has anyone done this? Was it very difficult? Could you point me in the right direction? Anyone got any pics?

When I've got it all up and running, I'll be happy to post pics and a step by step guide.

Thanks in advance!

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
firstly welcome to talkford
biggrin.png

with regards to the camera, you could by one of the chinese ones such as this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCD-REVERSE-CAMERA-FOR-FORD-MONDEO-S-MAX-FOCUS-FIESTA-/330659894130?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4cfcdd9372

Its half the price and usually its the same thing but they have been bought buy uk people and they are selling them on at a higher price.

they are supplied with a 5metre cable so its a matter of routing it up the door, into the roof lining, then its up to you which path you take then,

either continue along behind the roof lining then take it down the A pillar, and behind the dash

or take it down the rear pillar and go along the floor. Its then a matter of plugging it into the back of the head unit.

you then have two other wires coming from the camera,one is the power supply, which is normal wired up the reversing light, the other is the number plate light, which you just splice into the wiring already there.

One word of caution, in alot of cases, the light fitted often doesnt give out much light, so if you have a bright bulb on the other number plate light it may look lopsided.

here is a link i started when i was fitting my camera, it may help give you some ideas.

http://www.talkford.com/topic/189973-reversing-camera/page-4?hl=%2Breversing+%2Bcamera#entry1843772

Reactions: chandelirious

·
Nottz Megger
2016 Focus MK3 Titanium + City Pack + Sync3 + MK3.5 IPC
1,944 Posts
Iv been wanting to do this for ages with an ALPINE reverse camera but dont know where I would mount it.

·
Nottz Megger
1,944 Posts

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
I am guessing it will automaticaly go on when the camera powers up, which, if you wire the cam to the reversing light, wont happen till you selct reverse.

May be worth checking your instruction manual for the head unit.

·
Nottz Megger
1,944 Posts

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
probably have to drill a hole in the bumper and stick it there, it would stand out like a sore thumb though.

the number plate ones are far more subtle so cant really be seen and less likely to abuse from passes by or local kids.

If you do go for a chinese one, make sure that it is one that has sold several of them, for example, the one i linked has sold 22 of them, then go for the CCD type instead of CMOS. I looked into it and the CCD are clearer and work better at night.

There are other sorts of reversing cameras available if you have a look on ebay, but it depends how and where you want to position it.

The other types of cams seem to have a red, amber and green line superimposed on them to give you an idea of how far you are away from something.

The number plate ones dont always have that, but, with it pointing down from the number plate, it just shows the edge of your bumper so, in my case, i can get the car to within a milimetre or two of what i am reversing up to.

It scares the hell out of anyone in the car behind me :lol:

P.s. if for some reason, if you buy a chinese one, it doesnt arrive, ask for your money back and buy another one rather than allowing them to resend the item.

Ebay have a 45 day limit to open a case, so if you allow the normal time of up to 30 days for the cam to arrive. If they offer to send it again it will be another 30 days so outside the time limit for you to have any comeback.

·
Nottz Megger
1,944 Posts
Sound advice there mate, think im going to go with the chinese one dont want anyone pulling off the alpine one off lol is this the ones on ebay all look the same but a few are slightly different size by a few mm will check later properly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
firstly welcome to talkford
biggrin.png

with regards to the camera, you could by one of the chinese ones such as this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCD-REVERSE-CAMERA-FOR-FORD-MONDEO-S-MAX-FOCUS-FIESTA-/330659894130?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4cfcdd9372

Its half the price and usually its the same thing but they have been bought buy uk people and they are selling them on at a higher price.

they are supplied with a 5metre cable so its a matter of routing it up the door, into the roof lining, then its up to you which path you take then,

either continue along behind the roof lining then take it down the A pillar, and behind the dash

or take it down the rear pillar and go along the floor. Its then a matter of plugging it into the back of the head unit.

you then have two other wires coming from the camera,one is the power supply, which is normal wired up the reversing light, the other is the number plate light, which you just splice into the wiring already there.

One word of caution, in alot of cases, the light fitted often doesnt give out much light, so if you have a bright bulb on the other number plate light it may look lopsided.

here is a link i started when i was fitting my camera, it may help give you some ideas.

http://www.talkford.com/topic/189973-reversing-camera/page-4?hl=%2Breversing+%2Bcamera#entry1843772
That's a really helpful post right there, thanks!

I've bought loads of stuff off of ebay, but never from China. What's the regulations with that? Do you need to pay import tax? What's the quality of the goods like? Also, in your link, the picture says it's for a Mondeo, but the text doesn't, but is it a 'one-size-fits-all' kind of job?

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
China is just like buying from anywhere else, theres always a risk. Import tax is a bit difficult to tell, nothing i have bought has incured tax although i think the most i have spent is about £30 in one purchase. I have heard, people who have bought radios (£200 upwards) have had to pay tax.

The quality of goods are just what youd expect from here. In fact most stuff you buy in the Uk has been bought, from china, posted over here then resoled at a higher mark up.

One example: a 5 metre roll of waterproof leds is about £7-9 from china. The exact same roll from non ebay companies in the UK is £40-50. likewise with the multicoloured leds, china sells them for £20-30, i have seen several in the Uk selling them at £120-140.

basicaly you miss out the middle man :L

With ford, a large percentage have exactly the same size number plate light so one size does usualy fit all (to some extent, more details below). sayin that, There are two types, one is square like the link here

the other has two corners cut off like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-CCD-Rear-View-Reverse-CAMERA-for-Ford-Focus-Sedan-C-MAX-MONDEO-NTSC-PAL-/280794670102?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4160aaa416

mine, being an estate had the second type.

More than likely you will need to trim them as the one size still doesnt seem to be an exact fit. In my case i had to cut one side short and then drill a new screw hole, there was a gap which i filled with silicone sealant. With it being under the handle to open the boot, unless you stand upside down you wont see the silicone :lol:

the only draw back i found is the light. It isnt as bright as normal number plate lights, its only a small led. I have since added more leds under the handle which light the number plate up really well.

On hindsight if i had known, i would have bought one similar to this below as it is clear plastic, so i could add more leds behind that would shine through (this particular seller hasnt sold any of this camera so better to keep looking for a better seller) On the plus side, he is a uk seller and the camera does seem to have the red,yellow,green distance lines, so maybe worth a shot if its the right shape :kaffeetrinker_2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Night-Vision-Car-Reverse-Rear-View-Parking-Camera-For-Ford-Focus-sedan-/130924188539?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1e7bb0937b

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
ive just had a closer look at that first link i gave

it actualy says

FORD
Fiesta
Kuga From 2008 -2010 Year
S-Max From 2006 -2010 Year
Mondeo (BA7) From 2008 -2010 Year
Focus II Facelift (C307) From 2008-2010 Year

Focus ( 2 carriage )

so wouldnt fit a mk3 anyway,,,oops

Get the measurement of your number plate lens, and the shape,
then have look at several different cameras, so you can find out the exact details, measurements and differences.
Then from the ones that meet your requirements, narrow them down to the ones who have sold a few of them.
From that final list, check their feedback and see which one, you feel is the best.

Yes its a faff, but i do it everytime and so far I have only been let down twice, one i lost £5 as it was over 45 days, the other i claimed back on paypal.

·
Nottz Megger
1,944 Posts

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
just make sure the gutter sealent sets rather than staying tacky, which some types do, otherwise you may end up with sticky fingers if you hold that area by accident when opening the boot :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.