MEG Colonel
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had an email from tomtom that you can now get there map up dates

and i thought these was free downloads :annoyed:

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
The tomtom maps are SO out of date, There are still roads on the map that closed 10 years ago

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
gravedigger said:
and i thought these was free downloads :annoyed:
Arn't they? :whistling: :innocent:

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts
About time they were updated, you still drive through fields according to Tom Tom when you drive on the ferrybridge bypass on the M1 that was opened 2 years ago!

Steve

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
I think he is maybe meaning getting them not from TomTom

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
I've just downgraded back to 5.

6 adds:

Safety options (ie turns off inputs when on the move - but can be disabled)

Major "Plus" support, "safety" scamera's are now built in with auto updates - TomTom Buddies (WTF?) are also there... joys

Contact integration is much better if you have your friends addys in your ppc contact list

You can now nav to Long/Lat positions

POI's have been increased, as has the handling so you can now nav to POI "on the route"

Interface is clearer

However two major let downs for me:

1) Postcodes seem to have reverted back to first part only - Ie EX10 9EE wouln't be recognised just the EX10 part... maybe just the "version" I had but I tried a few

2) Real downer is the loss of "Rotate Screen". TomTom now only follows whatever mode your PDA is in by default :( I like my screen portrait for most things and landscape for nav but you can't do that with 6.

3) I noticed no "update" in the maps - everything in my local area v632 had.

I remember being annoyed when I changed to 5 from 3 because auto map zooming became the only option - they seem to have an obsession with removing stuff!

On the whole a reasonable update but two major losses caused me to downgrade for the time being.

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
And now I'm back to 6 :)

For some reason I lost the keyboard when I went back to 5 - anyway I've since found that there is a flaw in version 6 to do with the postcodes - you need to move the ZIP folder from the SD card to the PDA's memory!

All working including traffic now... cool! :)

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
If you register an account with tomtom you get a month free ATM which is what i'm doing...

can you get it as an extra then? :)

·
MEG's resident oven
11,381 Posts
if you register can they tell if your tom tom software was 'bought' or whatever?

by extra i didnt know if it was something like the POI ad ons like the cameras

·
Administrator
13,790 Posts
Well I registered my errr versions and both have been fine, bizarrely the ID seems to be made up of a combination of the device details and the tomtom software which means that even dodgy versions have a unique ID.... weird.

You dont have to put a full name and address in when registering ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.