Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
As I was talking about before, ended up doing a few designs for an uprated lower bush for the engine mounts - getting there now, this one is far stiffer than the original but still has much, much better NVH control than the solid poly Rover 75 bush some of you tried switching to - mainly because it has a dead zone with a tapered buffer, but it also has internal honeycombing and alternating solid layers to give the material a lot more internal damping.

I'll probably make a softer one too and get closer to a stock mount NVH wise.
Got a few revisions to make, I need to either increase the diameter of the centre tube or make a machined/shaped piece like the original just reduce the stress around that area, but I should have a prototype done in a couple of days to run on the car:

ZpjEDjs.jpg

xtBQ65n.jpg

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Are you 3D printing the material or casting it?

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Cant see a 3D printed part lasting very long at all.

Heat from the engine will soften it in use, add in heat from friction and

i can see the part failing fairly quickly.

I love my 3D printer but cannot see this working. The printable materials are not

really upto this task.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got 3d printed mountings that have been on cars for 18+ months, I use it for rapid prototyping parts or one-off/small batch pieces - as do Superpro and Powerflex by the way - it's not an issue, certainly no more of an issue than it with normal polyurethane ageing anyway.

I've some parts here that were removed for evaluation after a year, both engine mounts and chassis bushes, if you like me to post photos?
I'm not using cheap chinese sourced flexibles, all my raw material/polyurethane is UK sourced and certified for tensile/yield/Tg, etc - unfortunately that means it ends up at £50-60 per kilo :(
What are you printing with? It's PLA or PLA flex, then no, you have no chance, but TPU and TPU/Nylon blends like PCTPE are more than capable of being used as structural pieces.
Thermoset (cast) polyurethanes are much more durable/abrasion resistant, but that's not an issue for an engine mount.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,193 Posts
I've got 3d printed mountings that have been on cars for 18+ months, I use it for rapid prototyping parts or one-off/small batch pieces - as do Superpro and Powerflex by the way - it's not an issue, certainly no more of an issue than it with normal polyurethane ageing anyway.
I've some parts here that were removed for evaluation after a year, both engine mounts and chassis bushes, if you like me to post photos?
I'm not using cheap chinese sourced flexibles, all my raw material/polyurethane is UK sourced and certified for tensile/yield/Tg, etc - unfortunately that means it ends up at £50-60 per kilo :(
What are you printing with? It's PLA or PLA flex, then no, you have no chance, but TPU and TPU/Nylon blends like PCTPE are more than capable of being used as structural pieces.
Thermoset (cast) polyurethanes are much more durable/abrasion resistant, but that's not an issue for an engine mount.
I'd be interested to see the pics you mention. I'm not looking for any bushes but just find the home printing possibilities very interesting :)

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Get yourself a 3D printer, they are brill and come down in price quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
3D printer boot install? :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're a fantastic tool, I've printed all sorts of bits and pieces for the racecar, bits and pieces that break around the house etc, in addition the the actual structural/functional bits I actually bought it for :D

Attached a couple of pics of bits and pieces.

Attachments

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,336 Posts
They look great!

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Same printer as me :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not much left of the original bar the box :D
It's pretty much entirely reworked, all the motion system is linear rails with adjustable preloads, the carriages are all machined aluminium, steppers are running on trinamic drivers, plated copper nozzles, certified thermocouples, much stiffer frame, etc, so that I can put out perfectly consistant prints for structural use time after time.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
Mad the first thing i printed was parts to improve the printer :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, I've made a few revisions for improvements and fit, but I think we're there now, be fitting one next week to do some durability testing.

·
I Love Diesel
2,352 Posts
If you need a guinea pig, I'll volunteer. :lol:

I fitted a new genuine Ford torque restrictor last year and was disappointed by how little difference it made to the one that had failed on the car. The rubber seems far too soft and you can feel the movement in the engine.

When I bodged a repair on the old mount with bathroom sealer it felt a lot better without any noticeable harshness - until the sealer came out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's been pointed out to me that I can't shift a few for testing without a traders account on here - which isn't feasible for a couple of bushes, obviously, as it'd be costing me money to make them then - sorry, Twincarbs, but it looks like I'm just running my brothers car for testing :)

I'll keep the thread updated with how it goes and some pictures though, gonna try the stiffer one first and if that's a bit too much go back to the OE-like one with the small gap in it to take the HF stuff out :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, the softer one designed to give almost OE vibration levels whilst still offering much more stiffness in the buffers (and higher damping levels to reduce bounce under sudden load changes) is prototyped after a couple of teething issues were sorted.
Turns out a lot of the cheap aftermarket ally casings aren't even close to round - I've got one here where the bush is oval by ~4mm - so I've had to make the bushes able to deform to cope with the variation, using a PCTPE (flexible nylon/urethane co-polymer) sleeve around the bush - I think I may have to use an ally casing on the production ones.

zhQ7C1y.jpg

It's on the car now so see how it goes, initial impressions are good, a little more vibe on a cold idle than OE but not by much - certainly nothing close to those solid Powerflex Rover 75 options - and noticably stiffer, much less wheel-hop on heavy acceleration too.

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
There was a groupbuy a long time back and they were utter junk, the rubber deteriorated

inside the box it was deliverd in.

Someone did mention their snapped, so the material used may have been suspect also.

The blends of materials needed to prevent movement may transmit too much noise through

the floor etc.

Fitting the new bush material around the original centres is probably the way to go, the

one end is shaped to prevent twisting.

·
Little Megger
4,562 Posts
[quote name="PURPLE_2L_LX" post="3010593" timestamp="1520403483"]

There was a groupbuy a long time back and they were utter junk, the rubber deteriorated
inside the box it was deliverd in.

Someone did mention their snapped, so the material used may have been suspect also.

Still got mine BNIB, decided against fitting it once all the negative reports came through... open to offers.. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts