Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am new on hear i have a ford focus 1.6 sport 2011 limited edition . Please can some give me the max towing load in kg tried looking on some sites but can't find my car .I am not tecey minded, so a nice simple answer please. Also it is a petrol engine if it makes difference with the towing weight. thanks in advance.

·
Older Megger
137 Posts
Have a look in your registration Document, Under section 4 (vehicle details) line O.1 gives the max weight you can tow.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
29,785 Posts
Lots of variables with the towing weight.

Its recommended to only tow 85% of the cars unladen kerbweight. Unless the max limit

is less than that.

Petrol engines dont tend to tow as well as a diesel engined version.

The cars loaded weight may decrease the max tow also.

With my car i can load the car to 2200kg or tow 1800kg, but i cannot do both. The cars

gross laden weight (car and trailer combiined) is less than my cars max limit..

What are you looking to tow?

You need the cars kerbweight and max tow weight (section O. on your V5C).

Also on the car there will be the chassis plate which will state the gross vehicle weight.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
also, you need to check if you are allowed to tow the weight you want to, if you passed your test after 1997, you may need to do the trailer test...?

·
Super Moderator
29,785 Posts
Lets start with the weights on the car, what does your log book (V5C) state in

section O. And what does it show for the Mass in service section G. and

the Maximum Mass F.1.

Did you pass your test before or after Jan 1997?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I past my test 1990

section 0- 1200

section g-1375

f 1 -1820
Section O is the most useful to yuor question. - it means max weight of the trailer towed must not be more then 1200kg.

Section F is the max your car is allowed to weigh, at any time, i.e loaded with paseengers and luggage. If towing it includes the trailer nose weight of 50-75kg.

Section G is your car in running order. Its suppoesed ot include fuel and driver, but here semms to be some confusion about this.

here should also be a plate on your car (usually in the drivers door opening) this wil also show the MTW Maximum train weight.

For example on my Mondeo

Max mass = 2025kg (plate on car & V5 )

Mass in service 1496kg

Max trai weight = 3750kg (plate on car)

Max tow weight = 1800kg (V5)

From the above you can calculate

Max weight of passemgers & luggage = 2025 - 1496 = 529kg or 454kg if towing

Max weight of triler if cr is loaded ot maximum.

3750-2025=1725kg

But 75kg of the trailer is loaded onto the car via the hitch so max weight of trailer is 1725+75kg=1800kg.

As you can see for my car I can tow the max trailer weight with the car also fully loaded. It is not always the case.

Max tow weight

Section G

·
Super Moderator
29,785 Posts
As above the caravans gross laden weight or MAM or MTPLM must be a maximum

of 1200kg.

Also check the chassis plate on the car, the gross train weight which will be the biggest

number on the plate and approx 3060kg If its less then 1200kg maybe with a car

thats not loaded to its max.

What does the chassis plate show?

·
Super Moderator
29,785 Posts
Gary i disagree with your figures, your moving the 75kg from the vans weight to the

car, but your not adding that onto the cars gross weight. The 75kg does not just

vanish.

Simplify the figures, Car loaded = 2025kg + 1800kg trailer = 3825kg.. 75kg over your limit.

The tow hitch 75kg load would put the cars gross weight at 2100kg. Your adding 75kg

to the towhitch and rear suspension. It would be like someone standing on the towball

but not increasing the cars weight.

Its a surprise how much weight 4 adult passengers and a small amount of luggage adds

to the weight. I wanted to take the FIL's mobility scooter on holiday with us and thinking

the estate can carry 1/2 ton. 5 up and some luggage soon eats into that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts