Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Little Megger
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I need to wire up the trailer lighting socket on My Mk 3 Estate. I understand there is a socket in the boot, and if you buy the official Ford Kit it just plugs into the socket and job done.
[color:red]Except[/color] I cannot find the socket!
Any Ideas? I have looked both sides but cannot see a spare socket. I do not actually have the official Ford wiring either as my harness came with the tow bar. If I could find the socket maybe I could find a suitable plug. Any Ideas / Advice?

·
Never knowingly understood
23,164 Posts
Have you already got a towbar & 'multi'-pin (I say that as it's either 13 or 15) socket fitted???

If so, go to Halfords and get a socket adapter. That converts the muti to a 6 pin trailer socket. Did that to our 54 Galaxy, as it's got the factory install. Saved time, and for £14, probably cost the same as gettin the bits to put a second socket there.

Andy.

·
Big Megger
125 Posts
The ford wiring kit fits onto your rear lights, you un-plug the wiring from your lights... plug the tow bar loom into the light fitting... the supply wire for the rear lights then plugs into the tow bar wiring (piggy back) and that's it, bob's your mothers brother. 5 minute job, very neat, very easy to do, but also very expensive. when I priced it up (when the mk.3 first came out) the wiring alone was about £130 from ford - a fully fitted witter bar & twin electrics only cost £30 more than that - of course it might be lots cheaper now... :whistling:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
I bought the 'official' 13 pin wiring kit from Frauds. For the lighting circuits it has two pairs of connectors (1 male 1 female) one pair each for near-side and off-side rear lamp clusters.
If you follow the wiring looms from the rear lamp clusters you'll find an in-line connector (yellow I think) the tow bar wiring loom pairs of connectors are 'inserted' between here. i.e. disconnect the loom connectors and plug the female connector of the tow bar loom into the male connector in the light cluster loom and the male connector of the tow bar loom into the female connector of the light cluster loom.

In the Ford kit there's a couple of relays one for the reversing lamp circuit and one for the brake lamps - these provide additional current for the trailer circuits rather than just paralleling the trailers lamps with the cars like the cheap kits do.

This is from memory and I might have missed something! let me know if you want any pics!

PS I wired my 13 pin socket for the aux power for my caravan, this is a nightmare even with the genuine Ford kit! there's a permanent and a switched live feed connector tucked away behind the trim above the big flap which covers the 1st aid box cubby hole. Let me know if you need info re the aux supplies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts