Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing I have now recieved my Blue Lockwoods I decided to convert my trip and door switches over to blue.

Im not too bad with soldering so rather than use flattened 3mm LEDS I used SMD LEDs instead. This was suprisingly easy.

All you really need is a fine tipped soldering Iron and just tin the end a little bit and then touch the existing SMD on one side to loosen it from the board. Then use a pair of tweezers to remove the SMD from the board while loosening the opposite end with an iron.... if you have done a clean job you should end up with just a couple of pads.... add a little bit of solder to the pads.

Then use the tweezers to hold the SMD so one side is pointing down at about 45 degrees (or less). lightly touch the pad with th iron to melt the solder and then touch the SMD on the pad. This should then fix it to the board, after this you can push the SMD down. I believe the anode side is the side with the notch on one corner but just follow the orientation of whats there and you SHOULD be ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed a bit of darkness over the MPH so I might pull it apart and stick another SMD in there.

Drivers door switches seem too dark as well so im going to lower the resistor to make it a bit briter.

But thanks Kev..... it was actually loads of fun doing it.

·
LED Extraordinaire
8,458 Posts
Looks good :L , did you clean the back of the screen? i suspect the dark patch may be muck....... have you got rear electric windows?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt clean the screen allthough might do seeing that that mark was there before. I have got rear electric windows too and have done the conversion on them.

The most fiddly bit was scraping the green off the light switch...... then put 4 LEDS in series but that was way too dim so went down to 3 LEDS in series ... .gives a far better brightness.

As I said though the drivers door window switches are very very dim

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im not using 12 volt leds, im using 5mm 3.2v blues...... but the amount of dremmel work is a lot, But not difficult. The first one i did was a bit of trial and error but it all went pretty well. I even got two spare switches so im gonna convert my sunroof switch as well

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Yeah, im lucky, the red ones u can get in 12 volt :L

Gonne do all me window switches again seen as for some reason the passenger n both rears arent working, cud have sumthing to do with the smoke the old 4 way drivers switch gave off haha!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i did use a file on the first one Mick, but figured I could do it with a dremmel and get more of a snugg fit. But you need to remember I used bigger LEDS.

And Jamie ....... maybe you shorted something out on the 4 way, they arnt complicated so just run a meter on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.