Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
I hope someone can help me. I decided to get some amber led strips and have them working with my front indicators. im gonna mount them lower down on the bumper but ill sort out exactly where later. At the moment i am having trouble getting them to work properly.

I am using posi tap connectors to splice into the indicator wire ( which i eventually found through trial and error because the wiring diagram in the haynes manual has the colours completely wrong), but when i spliced into the wire and connected it to the earth the lights barely lite up. I can only just see them flashing. they are flashing at the same speed as the indicators.

I have tried the leds on a 12v transformer connected to an house plug socket and they work fine. the transformer says 12vdc which i presume the car is dc too. Anyway i hope someone can help me as to what im doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have two strips of amber leds one with thewire it had soldered to it when i bought it and one i have added a length of wire to both positive and negative. I Tried the led with the additional wire and there is barely any light but then i tried the strip with just the wire it was supplied with and it lit up lovely. I then twisted a bit of wire onto both the + and - wires and it was exactly like the strip i had originally added wire to.

I cant understand why the light become so dim when i add extra length onto the wires. I know there is resistance on wires but considering how little power the leds need i wouldnt have thought the resistance would make any difference.

Please can someone help with any suggestions or ideas.

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forget all this it turned out i had a poor earth connection, sigh of relief after 2 hours scratching my head and trying different wires

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
i take it the aux warning module is behaving...

·
Steve
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i ended up sticking them just above the fog lights and i think they look good. did something similar to the back but got a strip of leds that had two colours on so i can have indicators, side light and brake and by heck are they bright.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-red-and-amber-strips-pair-stop-tail-and-indicator-lights-all-one-strip-/160712095462?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item256b2ff6e6

the indicators all flash at the same speed.
i took the live wires straight off indicator wires using posi-tap connectors, they were so easy to use. The normal bulbs are still in the sockets so there isnt any power drop to cause the lights to go faster. i earthed it under the radiator resovoir screw as it must be onto bare metal. i didnt want to disturb the earth wire that is already behind the lights and end up bugering the lot up
Sorry cant upload video as i dont have a cam corder of any sort.

Theres no warning lights or problems anywhere siruncle.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
good good! just wondered if it was happy with extra bulb/led's as it kicks off if you just put unresisted led's in and the power is not used up.

what next then? a K.I.T.T. scanner?

p.s. i'd like to see pics/vid too
you can upload phone vids to youtube if have account... (gmail address is good enough iirc)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts