Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Turbomaster
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new here. Iam a very confident person in turboconversions, i know it all almost. HAve gotten 465 BHP out from a 2,5l bmw engine.

But, this ST200 engine, noone in sweden have turboed them. I am the first that are going to do it.

I have no idea about what engine parts that doesnt bear up with 200% more power.

I have seen that many kits use standard conrods, do they hold up SAFE with 350hp and a fine tuning? I allways use E85 as it loves high compression turbo cars. It is simply the only fuel used by all those 900hp beemers you have seen in sweden. Here, everyone use E85 as turbo fuel as it is so so so superior.

Can you guys here please help me out with telling me the weak points and when things reach their limit?

As a beginning, i will use standard pistons and rods. What can those handle? my rpm limit will be 7,5K.

Probably a holset HX35 or a scwitzer s366 at beginning and when new rods and pistons are in, a holset HX50 or borg warner S400

I will make a custom intake of higest grade, i know these things as i have made a lot of them, Tube exhaust manifold after swedish standard,

Poerting, maybe ill do a light one in the first stage and later, on second stage full head job with cams and valves etc etc.

So, what breaks on these and when does it brake?

Best Regards, Mathias @ TMR RACING

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The bottom end will be the weakest part more than likely as these fail quite a lot on standard engines. No one really knows why, some people think it is due to oil starvation on high speed cornering, as a result of the sump design. I wouldn't have much confidence in the original conrods either if upping the power.

Outside of the actual engine, that sort of power will mean the MTX75 internals being completely upgraded and some upgraded driveshafts as the power will just split them.

There is a long thread on this site by Fred22 regarding a 2.5L turbo build and all the problems he had, I still don't think he has had any success.

·
Turbomaster
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But noble uses this engine, with a real sump, real rods and standard pistons and they run 400 bhp reliably at high boost. They lower the comp by the rods. But i am going to use ethanol and meth injection. Here in sweden we have great tuners on ethanol and they run high compression as e85. There are numberous kits that states 350 american bhp without changing rods or pistons. Nt even head gasket so then the engine might be safe for around 10 psi untouched with a good map and e85 and meth injection. Do you americans just buy kits? Isnt anyone converting themself? No one in sweden buy kits. Here we read and learn everything about f/i and build on our own. Thats why we have all records on highest power beemers and even some american engines.

I will provably not get any good info here.. sad. No one has turboed these engines in sweden either so i am on my own. Maybe have to contact noble to get info..

·
ST200 Limited Ghia X
6,508 Posts
this is a UK based forum. The only people who have turboed the mk1/2 v6 on here are fred22 (not even sure if he pulled it off?) and stewb, both of whom do not come on here anymore. fred22 had an amazing diary 100+ pages, that would have interested you. but im not sure if its 'online'. other than that you could search all fred22's old posts maybe.

try searching the american forums the have plenty of members who have turboed contours (the american version of mondeo)

·
58 Posts
In US someone ran 454 hp with stock internals and 16psi. Noble uses forged conrods because stock ones start to bend and forged pistons to take the compression to 8.5:1 and all is bolted down with ARP bolts.

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
I wonder how this guy got on with doing a turbo conversion?

It'd be a right rocket with the ST200 gearing, but by that stage, Quaife will be his best friend in the industry

No one mentioned to him that Noble use the 3L engine which can take a bit more punishment....or that the diff goes pop at 250hp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts