Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all, I've removed my actuator and opened it up because my car kept going into limp mode and Forscan tells me it is a likely culprit.

My question is, should that wheel that's sticking up, and is connected to that arm thingy at the bottom, move freely when I try to turn it with my fingers?

Or has it seized?

sa1130-turbo-actuator-0717.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just been to have a look and yes, it moves to top position when the engine is switched on and moves back and forth freely under acceleration. Hmmm.

If it helps, it usually goes into limp mode under heavy acceleration.

·
269 Posts
Looks like the turbo actuator is ok.

At least at that moment...

I've got, possibly, similar issue.

Full beans turbo then goes into safe mode ( no turbo). Can be reminded ( in my case) by simply switching ignition off/on again, although this is not reliable.

With mine the CPU gets X messages of issue and puts into safe mode. Possible wiring fault? Been like this for a year..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine also usually resets with a switch off and on, but not always.

I can't see it being a wiring fault on mine as it never used to happen. Unless a wire is coming loose somewhere over time.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hi

With actuator disconnected does lever move vanes easily?

Peter

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the arm seems to move back and forth fairly freely. I'm going to go and have another look now to see if I can detect any hint of resistance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sticks slightly towards the back (pushed in towards the windscreen), so I'm guessing that's my issue, sticky vanes.

Would some Wynns diesel turbo cleaner be worth a pop for a tenner? I've got a long drive tomorrow and need a stopgap solution!

·
269 Posts
Mine also usually resets with a switch off and on, but not always.

I can't see it being a wiring fault on mine as it never used to happen. Unless a wire is coming loose somewhere over time.
Most common reason for this fault is wiring. There are 3 short wires from circuit board to connectors in case. They often fail

·
Little Megger
4,329 Posts
Hi, if turbo actuator arm is a bit sticky, then that'd be your most likely cause. By all means give Wynn's a punt, but better solution will be the Mr Muscle one. However, why not, for now, disconnect the arm (careful not to lose the circlip!) clear the error code and that way you can do your journey without going into limp mode.

Reactions: mikeup

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can drive with the arm disconnected?

Anyway, the combination of a long drive and the bottle of Wynn's has so far done the trick. It happened a couple of times at my destination (rainy Blackpool) yesterday lunchtime but since the drive back home it's been good as gold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts