Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Big Megger
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i have a mk2 td, i did have the fuel and boost turned at up at the derv doctor but they dint put a bleed valve on bu drilled a bit on the turbo, more info on that can be found here Link but anyway i was wondering how hard it would be to change the turbo if i got another one from a scrap yard then i can but a boost controller on and sort the boost pressure out as it is currently running at 12psi.

also if i got some fog light and a double pull switch from the scrap yard at the same time as getting the turbo, could i just install them and it work? or would i need relays and stuff? i know there are the wires in the bumpers for them.

thanks for any help

Dazman85

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
have a look in your owners manual. I can't remember but I think it list what relay goes where so it would just be a matter of looking for the fog light fuses/relays and seeing if you have them fitted or not. every time I put my fogs on I get tards flashing full beam at me or cops moaning at me so I don't even use them lol.

12 psi sucks. I got mine boosting waay over 20!! :D :D :D :D

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
derv said:
every time I put my fogs on I get tards flashing full beam at me or cops moaning at me so I don't even use them lol.
Thats because its not f***ing foggy so why bloody have them on.

Front Fogs provide little or no improvement in front vision when using them unless its very foggy or very very bad rain - their main point it to make you visible in very limited visibility situations for traffic heading towards you and not so much to improve your vision. I have used front fog lights about 3 times to my knowledge, twice when it was very foggy and once when it was very bad visibility due to bad weather (less than a few feet). If they were necessary to have then they would be fitted by law to every vehicle on the UK roads just like rear fogs. By using them when not necessary you are just making yourself look like a pr1ck to every other road user - fact! You need to ask yourself who the "'tard" actually is and read the f***ing highway code!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
daves got a new mission

but i understand what you say

but fogs do slightly improve the light in front but is by a minimul amount unless you are in a car thats headlights are really bad it aint worth it

would have your rear fogs on if it wasnt foggy

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Educating inconsiderate barstewards on the road has always been my mission, if you want a list of the top stupid things people do I will happily provide it but I think most people know what they are, and a lot are guilty of doing them.

Front fogs beam is straight ahead - so basically you get a little bit of light very low on the ground but all you are doing is shining light straight into any poor sap who is heading in the opposite direction. Does it make you look special having them on when its not foggy? No, it makes you look like a dick. Even worse when the idiots who have them on have just their sidelights on and the fogs. Anyone who gets stopped by the police for this cannot complain and I hope that they get a fixed penalty for it because it may not seen that bad an offence, but its generally the tip of the iceberg - next time you see someone driving like a total prick around a built up area at night, take not on what lights they have on!

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
DavePage said:
Educating inconsiderate barstewards
Yeah that's right. I'm an inconsiderate 'barsteward' for using my front fogs all of two times. One which I might add, was during heavy rain at night on a motorway and the other at 4am in the morning.

I'm a total prick indeed...

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Well why would the police pull you over for it then - sounds like you were using them in legitimate circumstances now! Did they pull you over when it was heavy rain (i think not), did they pull you over at 4am on the motorway (I think not). When exactly did the 'tards flash at you - the two times you have only ever used them?

I suggest you read what you put above before then blatantly denying what you so obviously implied.

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
The cops chinned me for having them on when I went round a bend only to be confronted by the Stolen Vehicle Squad who had set up a vehicle check point (that was time one). The other was at night in rain on the motorway when a car I passed decided to have a long play with his full beam close behind me.

I don't use them when there's cars coming head on, especially on country roads. I know how sore it can be to see all those lights pointing at you when everything else is dark and that's all your eyes have to focus on.

So the tard actually was a tard seeing as there was a load of road spray on the motorway and IMO I had them on for a good reason. I didn't even hang behind him for a long time blinding him in his mirrors. Perhaps he was jealous i had front fogs and he didn't? I don't know but you took me all wrong Dave. I'm not a prick and I'm certainly not a boyracer who screams around housing estates endangering the lives of others.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
So long as you are happy that you are using them when legally necessary then fine, you dont fall into the category of dick - but you know my opinions on those that use them when they shouldn't. Most use them because they think it makes them look special because their car is equipped with them - you even get idiots driving with just one on when one bulb has gone (they fall into the complete dick category).

In fact, some 'tard just passed me on the M62 with them on so I decided to see if I could get him to turn them off - a couple of flashes of my main beam behind him and he turned them off. Stunned me that it worked (probably because I flashed the main beam and didn't just put it on full!).

This is a little off topic for the Diesel Section now!

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
He must have known he was being a d*** or maybe he thought you were an undercover cop. fit yourself with one of those alternating headlamp flasher relay thingeys. I'm sure if I fit that to my mk3 and I wear sunglasses I may make some chavs/boyracers feel a little uncomfortable if I tail them and give 'em a little flash :D

and yeah perhaps off topic now...

·
Big Megger
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah 12psi does suck i need to get it up to at least 18psi :) thats why i was thinking of putting a newer turbo on it because this has been drilled i dont no waht it is properly boosting at or if it has done any damage.

also with the fogs sometime we do get some fog late a night and it is a real pain cos i mainly drive on back roads so they would prob help.

thanks for the info guys, but does anyone no how easy it is to change the turbo?

cheers

Dazman85

·
Little Megger
41 Posts
[quote name=a.mad.house]daves got a new mission

but i understand what you say

but fogs do slightly improve the light in front but is by a minimul amount unless you are in a car thats headlights are really bad it aint worth it[/quote]

And then some...

Driving at normal speeds, because of their beam pattern and focus, front fogs illuminate the "dead zone" - ie that bit of road in front of you that's too close to possibly react to during normal driving.

So actually when driving normally, are probably MORE of a distraction with them on.

They're really meant for those decidedly rare (in the UK) situations, where you need to drive really slowly, and you need front fogs to actually pick out the kerb and white line. But at normal road speeds are pointless to the point of distraction.

My Mondy doesn't have them. But my other car does. And to my mind they are pointless, and just another lens to crack and bulb to replace. And guess what - on my other car, that's exactly their status - nearside lens cracked, dunno if the bulb still works.

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
I had a MK2 Seat Toledo and if I ever wanted the fogs on I had to go out and give the O/S lamp a gentle kick to get it to go on, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.