Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

was just looking through youtube and stumbled across this video

no i dont have a problem with my turbo at the moment but im very keen to keep on top of preventative maintenance the theory all sounds fine and i would certainly do this but before i did i just wanted to see if

1. anyone else has done this and did they see and benefits ?

2. can anyone see any downsides as the only downside i can see is potentially weakening the turbo housing

any thoughts would helpful and hopefully it will help someone else

cheers

·
Super Moderator
29,551 Posts
More than a couple of threads in the MK3 section on this.

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
HI Bav.. yea this is a beautiful piece of British ingenuity. and engineering . what made Britain famous through the years for clever engineering . i mean even the bosch hadent thought of this . simple and very clever ider for clenaing the blast side of the turbo . AND IF THEY has they would probably have patenteded the idea and sold it as a SUPER FIX . FOR HUNDREDS OF POUND . like the terra clean or other magic fix ideres liquid moligen etc . for fuel cleaning . BUT HERE is a guy who im sure was on our forum some months back and came up with this wounderful idea for delivering a really good cleaner to the vace of the troube spot area . and as an added bonus the cleaner he uses beaks down with the chemical s being a exuede from the exhaust mani..and is harmlessly sent south with the exhaust gasses helping to clean the manifold gause etc. BRILLIANT IDEA . AND I HAVE USED THIS IDEA a few times and found it good . pity he couldn't have patented and marketed this ider . but the guy instead unselfishness ley .. shared the ider with all of us . bravo . .. thank you very much .its been appreciated may times . .s.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i agree excellently re-engineered i had two concerns

1. what happenedto the mr muscle left in there and if it would do any damage on they way out

2. metal fillings geting in when drilling

the other thing i was thinking was if there was anywhere else you could drill that was easier to get to

·
Super Moderator
29,551 Posts
Use grease and a vacuum when drilling and tapping. There will be minimal swarf

dropping inside which will fall down the CAT/exhaust anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice one cheers going getting a drill bit tomorrow and then gunna close my eyes and get to it

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi guys

did the mod today its actually very easy to do although i paniced a litte when the tap wouldnt take lol

will let you knwo how it goes over the next few days

·
Super Moderator
29,551 Posts
If you dont have a right angled drill adapter why not drill the top of the manifold instead?

There is a pimple on the top, I drilled my spare manifold and there is a good 10mm

or so of material to tap a thread into.

You will need to use a pipe with a kink in it though to get close to the turbo itself.

Seems like an easier option to me. Any debris when drilling will fall straight into the exhaust

so no risk of it getting onto the vanes.

I also drilled a hole right over where the vanes are. There is only approx 4mm of material to

tap into. Not sure if that would crack over time?

manifold.jpg

PS those holes are only small 7mm. You can easily go bigger to give better access.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really impressed with the results of this mod and no downsides at all so far i would advise using a good tap set and a new drill bit though cant understand why such a simple mod wasnt already built into the turbo

i just need to mod my mr muscle can now to make the staw a bit more robust

just a quick question can someone please confirm if the below turbo is a variable vane type i hope you can tell from the actuator type.

turbo.jpg

thanks guys

next job is to replace two sections of exhaust so got to price that up got a hole on the flexi pipe and mid section

·
Super Moderator
29,551 Posts
Yes the electronic one is a variable vane. As is the vacuum one the goes in the

same position.

Fixed vanes have a bar running across the manifold to the wastegate.

·
Little Megger
4,372 Posts
I'm really impressed with the results of this mod and no downsides at all so far i would advise using a good tap set and a new drill bit though cant understand why such a simple mod wasnt already built into the turbo

i just need to mod my mr muscle can now to make the staw a bit more robust

just a quick question can someone please confirm if the below turbo is a variable vane type i hope you can tell from the actuator type.

turbo.jpg

thanks guys

next job is to replace two sections of exhaust so got to price that up got a hole on the flexi pipe and mid section
Hi, just be wary if you get those pipes from Eurocarparts, as there are 2 different diameters on sale there, and their parts computer just points straight away to the smaller diameter parts....it's only when you take it back that they look a bit deeper and find there's another part number that is for the larger diam pipe.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the heads up mate

dont suppose you have the correct parts numbers or any prices do

cheers

·
Little Megger
4,372 Posts
No sorry, can't find receipt - anyway, it depends if your Mondy has the larger or smaller diam exhaust! All I can find is the finis code for the gasket sealing ring for the larger diam pipe - it fits between the flexi-pipe and the next pipe along.

Anyway, Ford finis code is f1307037, cost approx £5.

Eurocarparts only did a smaller diam sealing ring, so had to go to Ford dealer, gave 'em my vin number and they gave me the correct part., which is more than I can say for Eurocarparts. If you want to avoid any hassle, measure the distance between the centres of the flange fixing bolts and compare it to the new part before you take it out of the shop.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks mate did you fit your own if so is it doable on an pair of ramps i also have axle stands if needs be

cheers

·
Little Megger
4,372 Posts
Hi, yes I managed it using a pair of ramps, but only had to replace the flexi pipe which is bolted both ends - you might struggle if it's also the following pipe which may well be corroded into the silencer - not the pleasantest of January jobs - tbh, you might find it worth getting it done at an exhaust centre. Just had a thought - I assume yours is'nt the original exhaust, which is 1 piece and has to be cut out and replaced with a sectional exhaust anyway .... definitely a job for an exhaust centre.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks mate it has a hole on one of the seems on the flexi joint and one where the mid hanger is if its in one peice im a wizz with a hacksaw lol but assume that would mean i need back AND mid sections

dont suppose anyone has a diagram on the layout do they ie as you said its a bot cold to be getting under the car today

cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts