Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've got a leaky turbo but if I'm to rebuild I may aswell do everything in the kit while it's apart.

Main question is if I index mark the shaft and both turbines carefully will I need to get it re balanced if it goes back together exactly as it come apart?

I can get a used turbo with no oil leaks for £60-80

All advice welcome
Cheers on advance :)

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Yes it will need balancing, Its done to fine tolerances as it spins at very high speed

and a tiny imbalance will shorten its life considerably.

In the UK its very expensive, last time i looked it seemed to be around £80 to have

it balanced. Not really worth building your own.

In the US it seems you can get it done for $20.

·
Click4 - What will you Click4 today?
1,481 Posts
You can get decent turbo cartridges from mellett they come built up as a new unit with full balancing certificate and for most part work perfectly fine.

Only problem is setting up / calibrating the vnt.. This is in the factory done on a flow bench which is why they are considered non repairable even though you can get parts and cartridges.

I've fitted 1 or 2 before, best you can do is set it to original setup and hope it's near enough, but with a pattern turbine blade and compressor wheel it's still likely to be off.

Never ever fit though a cartridge that doesn't come with a balancing certificate or a Chinese cartridge being sold cheap.. They will fail quickly and risk damaging the engine in the process.

Mellett are respected though and a good brand which come with balancing certificates.

Problem with DIY rebuilding is the kits and spares are not only varying quality, but parts on the turbo like the bearing recess wear and no longer become standard requiring either oversize parts or machine work to bring within tolerance again which is why cartridges are better

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Chinese turbo's, thats something else the US forums were playing with a while back.

Lots of junk with the housings being porous and them having a short lifespan.

Have they improved or as with a lot of stuff its pot luck on which one they send you?

·
1,481 Posts
Chinese turbo's, thats something else the US forums were playing with a while back.

Lots of junk with the housings being porous and them having a short lifespan.

Have they improved or as with a lot of stuff its pot luck on which one they send you?
Don't think they have improved, they usually don't even provide a balancing certificate and lots of people saying they failed quickly.

A cartridge from melett seems to be best best if going down that route... At least it comes with a balancing certificate.

They are assembled in the uk also, some parts are made for them in China though but it's assembled and balanced in the uk.

Personally if it's vnt I recommend only buying new genuine for reason that the vnt has to be setup properly on a flow bench... Making new genuine only proper fix.

But if on a budget then a melett manufactured cartridge with balancing certificate will do in most cases and be fine, but it is hit or miss if the vnt will work optimally as it can't be setup with a replacement cartridge without said flow bench lol... And not many places have one let alone know the optimal settings as it's probably not published by companies like Garrett.

·
1,481 Posts
More about melett here,

http://www.melett.com

You can buy them through this company,

http://www.turborebuild.co.uk/turbo-parts.html

Used them a few times successfully and quality is reasonable, but most critically they come with the balancing certificate! Without that I wouldn't fit one to a car because there's no guarantee its balanced and won't destroy itself and the engine in the process

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So even if I buy a cartridge I still need the vnt calibrating.
Would I be better buying a used turbo and just cleaning the variable vanes up so they don't stick that's it they aren't already sticking.

Thanks for the replys so far :).

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
I bought a used turbo complete with electronic actuator for my old car when the vanes

started sticking.

£210 i think inc postage and it looked like a new one except some slight discolouration

from the heat.

The actuators were fetching £130+ on their own back then also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just got a new actuator thinking it was why my car was going into limp but it wasn't so I've got a working actuator and a recond lifetime guarantee actuator lol so I only need the turbo but can't seem to find any nearly new only recons at 300 and up.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
It wasnt advertised as nearly new, just used and cleaned.

Had turbo in his username and sold various ones at the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah well most turbos are around £60-70 main thing is mines leaking oil and everyone's suggesting buy new rather than rebuild so.... Might have to go for used or recon which do you recon is best bet?

I guess I will never know if the vnt has been calibrated and setup on either so is it worth buying used / recon or buying a cartridge and sending it off to get vnt setup :/ lol

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Long term then a recon unit with a warranty is better, but they are fairly reliable

so a good used one may outlast the rest of the car.

The used one i got has probably done 50,000 miles since fitting it and no signs of

issues.

One thing i have noticed is that a euro 3 car does have a stop screw where the euro 4 one doesnt.

You can fit the euro 4 to a euro 3 car after swapping the screw and actuator though.

Was the stop in the right position? it ran well enough so who knows.

She didnt keep the car long after that so didnt have a chance to play with it

and see if it improved the performance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Would never entertain a eBay rebuild kit. As mentioned before the shaft has to be balanced and that's isn't something u can do on ur garage workbench :) either a low mileage used unit (check end play n float on the shaft) or recon unit from a respectable supplier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right I think this has been confused with a manual actuator I think I forgot to mention that my turbo is the electric one so do I not need the vnt calibrated?

Yes I'm thinking good used one my car has done 141k and it's running strong other than the oil leak everyone who drove ot says it pulls really well for 113bhp version with that many miles on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have also found the correct turbo for mine (electric actuator version) and the car it come off has only done 72k so if I but that I shall be checking the bearing and end float on arrival before I fit, I've also just done an oil and filter change on sat just gone so it'll be fairly fresh oil for it :)

So if thats the case I am probably better off buying a new balanced cartridge and rebuilding my current unit with it then the vnt will be automatically adjusted as and when via electronic actuator am I correct it what I'm saying here?

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
I had no issues stripping my old euro 4 turbo and cleaning it and then adapting

it to fit the euro 3 car by swapping the inlet cover and adding the stop screw and

vacuum actuator.

Other than the endstop there are no adjustments to be made.

With a like for like electronic one there wont be an endstop either.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah big piece of cardboard to stop things going down grids lol and it would be silly to not put a new oil seal in whilst I'm there I'm a measure twice cut one type of guy or on my case measure lots and lots then some more then cut lol

Yep I shall do like I said above plus if it's worth doing then it's worth doing properly first time round :)

Thanks for the link I'll check it when Im home tonight.

Also you think used turbo or the little extra for new cartridge? Im leaning towards cartridge for the extra few quid.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Depends on the source of the cartridge. A cheap pattern one may not last as long as

a used one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts