Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at converting my Fezza into a twin tank Waste Veg Oil setup (it will be getting a TD lump dropped in next year) installed.

Ive done some research but cant find the relative info i need.

I know i need a stainless tank but dont know where to look.

Same for the fuel switch, a tank gauge for the stainless tank and any other bits and bobs.

Anyone able to help. i have googled aswell but get yank sites.

jcth1

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
do like a gas install stick a tank in your boot

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
going too. only place to put it in a fezza. need info about other stuff though. google int giving me owt usefull after two pages

jcth1

·
Registered
273 Posts
Use your original tank for the Veg oil AND THEN GET A MARINE TANK FROM A BOAT CHANDLER FOR DIESEL, put marine tank in boot.
The marine tanks come in various sizes (around 15 litres will be fine for what you need) and also in metal or dense plastic.

You will also need some sort of switching system and maybe a temp gauge for the oil in the fuel line and work your return lines to the original tank (vegoil now remember) to make sure you have clean diesel for starting.

Remember to start AND stop on diesel (2 mins or so from end of journey switch back to diesel line) - this will make life easier on the pump and injectors. You can switch to oil when the engine reaches normal temperature.

You may wish to consider an inline heater system to heat the veg oil - make sure it gets upto around 80 degrees centigrade as at that temperature the oil flows better and is less likely to clog your lines. Best to fit the heater before the filter or better still fit a double heater that fits in line before and after filter.

One final thing, after 700 miles or so change your fuel filter as the veg oil purges the [email protected] from the tank and lines.

Good luck!
I will be converting to full vegoil after the winter...

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok cool. Im going to use the oem tank for its purpose of diesel and get a custom made stainless one built.

Do i have to change the fuel filter every 700 miles or so or just the first time? I do it normally at 5,000.

Im looking at a 6 port tank switch from the states so the right fuel goes to the right tank.

Im going to purchase a glow plug heater (VOW2) and then install a serious new heater setup to the new tank.

This would include a coolant pipe to the tank and back again, with a filter heater, inline pipe heater.

If it works well on the fezza and with the mondy lump and the lucas fuel pump then i might put it on the TD eventually as that will become my run around.

I think ive got everything covered but im now finding issues online about de watering WVO. Anyone got any tips?

jcth1

·
Registered
273 Posts
The filter change should be a one off at 700 miles - just keep an eye for problems especially if your oil is not particulsrly well cleaned. Some people fit an inline large (rover V8) filter BEFORE the oem filter to catch most of the [email protected], the advantage is that these are see through.

VOW2 heaters seem very good and that is the way I will be going as well. I will probably use the two heater point twin plug one rather than the water assisted one.

De-watering can be helped by leaving the waste oil in a large container to seperate for a couple of weeks and then syphoning the oil from the top. However remember to filter the oil before you place in the large container for separation. Check eBay for suitable cube shape plastic containers although you do need a large place to put them as they are over a cubic metre! Another way is to gently (!!!) heat the oil as the water will boil off at a lower temperature however this is not really recommended in the home environment.

Stay with the american sites as well as the UK ones on waste oil usage as there are some good ones there amongst the rubbish. Try searching for Bio Diesel sites as most have sections on straight oil usage as well.

Quick tip on lines and valves etc..
Avoid anythong with copper in it as some waste oil can be too acidic, even after treatment and reacts with the copper. Best to use nylon type types or stainless steel and non-rubber fuel / return lines.

Don't forget to register for paying duty on the oil you use - but how they can tell how much you are using is beyond me! The forms are easy to fill in and registration is straight forward, see the VOW2 website for more info.

Finally the guy who makes the VOW2 heaters is very knowledgeable and approachable by email if you need more info.

·
2,220 Posts
ok ive looked into this alot more and come across stuff i will need to buy.

To start with i will need:

the obvious amount of filters (100, 50, 25 and 5 micron - might try 1 micron aswell)

Couple Fuel Cans

Couple Funnels of various size's

String or rope to hold the filters in the air

Collection pot (going to use a couple 20litres barrels from the kebab shop), ive seen some heavy duty blue ones on ebay capable of 60litres and with a locking lid ring.

Fish tank of reasonable size (this is to let water settle on a grand scale)

240v Diesel/Oil pump - Seen one for £200(possibaly looking at a drill bit syphon pump - About £8 on ebay)

For the car i will need:

a spare tank outfitted with copper pipes for coolant to run through.

Heat exchanger on the fuel filter.

Heat Exchanger - either buy one of ebay or make one using stainless steel.

Vow2 heater unit

3 port tank selector switch (let diesel run back to the veg oil tank rather than go 6 port due to potential contamination in the Derv tank)

Im not sure how much this will cost but i will aquire most of it in the next few months and take it from there.

jcth1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.