Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've had my Mk4.5 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi with the Durashift auto box for a week now and have done about 120 miles in her. I've only been commuting and driving locally (A and B roads mostly) but I'm quite surprised that a quarter of a tank has gone already! The gauge in my old Mk4 2.2 TDCi (manual) would barely have moved from full after 100 miles. I seem to be getting an average of 30mpg whereas the old car would do 45mpg all day long.

I know that being an auto it won't be quite as frugal, but what's happened between the Mk4 and the Mk4.5 2.2 diesel engines to kill the fuel economy like that?

I must say that the trip computer must still be adjusting because it said I had 350 miles range (shock horror) when I brimmed the tank but after 120 miles it still says I have 320 miles range... :-/

If I sat on the motorway all day in the old car I'd get 650 miles to a tank. Doesn't look like that's going to happen with the new one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You could have a look at the real world mpg published on Honest John, but I think 30-35 for the auto 2.2 Mk4.5 is about right as it uses a CVT instead of the dual-clutch Powershift on the comparable petrol or the weaker 2.0. As I understand it, the Powershift was not rated for the massive torque from the bigger engine.

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
I had a 2L MK3 diesel and have averaged everything from 29MPG

to 57MPG measured over a full tank and measured properly not

using the trip figures.

29 MPG = very short winter journey's and 57MPG runs to the coast

and back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You could have a look at the real world mpg published on Honest John, but I think 30-35 for the auto 2.2 Mk4.5 is about right as it uses a CVT instead of the dual-clutch Powershift on the comparable petrol or the weaker 2.0. As I understand it, the Powershift was not rated for the massive torque from the bigger engine.
The reported mpg for Ford cars are posted here https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford

32.5mpg for the Mondeo MkIV estate 2.2 auto, and 37.9mpg for the manual

·
26 Posts
Okay I've been getting to grips with the MPG figures for my Mk4.5 car over the past couple of weeks. It seems very weird and totally different to my Mk4.

My Mk4 2.2 Titanium X Sport had a traditional analogue fuel gauge. I found that the last 100 miles of range were a complete nonsense, when the range got down to 100 the numbers would tumble to zero inside of about 30 miles. When the gauge read 0 I had to fill up, I once ran the car until it actually ran out of fuel and I think I got about 5 miles past 0. As a result, the gauge was inaccurate in terms of range below 100 miles, but accurate in terms of how much fuel was actually in the tank. When filling up it would take 70 litres until the pump cut out.

My new Mk4.5 2.2 Titanium X Sport has a digital fuel gauge, I just went to the garage to fill up for the second time because the low fuel light was on and the range remaining said 30 miles. I brimmed the tank with diesel but the pump cut off at 60 litres!? That means there was still 10 litres of fuel in the tank, so why did the range remaining say 30 miles? It makes no sense. 10 litres would have got me at least another 70 miles.

The good news is that having done nothing but motorway miles since the last fill up I'm averaging 37mpg according to the trip computer which for a 2.2 200ps Auto is acceptable, not great, but acceptable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts