Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question sounds a bit strange... :innocent: but still...

Had a quick check on the tyres status last night, the two in the front still has quite a bit of life left... (Kleber - anyone got any comment on them?) Then to the rear tyres... almost down to the wear indicator block.. about 1mm off (and the two of them are not the same tyres! :eek13: ) So decided to go on the internet and have a quick search.... Falken and Avon sounds good to be a replacement.

But just had a look in the boot and found that the spare tyre is a Pirelli P6000! ( :shocked: weird... the 'best' tyre on the whole car is in the boot!) however on the side it writes:

195/60 R15 88H E

T0196 .18
1081/A

Thinking about taking that out from the boot, change that to the front along with buying another P6000, and a really budget one to go into the boot.. :whistling:

Not sure how long ago was that tyre being put in... although the tyre itself looks fairly new... is it alright if the two tyres are from different batch? Also how 'safe' is the spare tyre if i am going to use it?

Where about is a good place to get tyre fitted and balanced? And will Kwik Fit do tyre fitting (get the tyre off internet and bring to them to get it changed... and how much will they charge anyone knows?)

Thanks for any help... any comment or recommendation!

Phil

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I would say leave the Spare as it is and replace the others with the Pirelli's if you feel so inclined.

I doubt the age should matter much, but to be on the safe side, you should leave that as the spare. Your not supposed to exceed 80km/h with a spare on, so the age of the tyre should never really matter.

It is always advisable to get both tyres on an axle done at the same time, for tyre wear, tracking etc., but would think that being from the same batch would also be a benefit.

·
He who laughs last..... Thinks slowest...
1,831 Posts
Hi Phil, Not a tyre expert but, when I needed tyres changing on my car, I sourced them from my mates & got a good deal in the end but when it came to fitting, big companies i.e:Kwik Fit, STS man on wheels, ATS etc, wouldn't touch the tyres as they didn't want to find themselves liable in the instance of tyre failure,especially if the tyre wasn't one of there own, which I understood but then I questioned "what if I signed a disclaimer to void them from liability" not interested, there exact words to me was,"we won't touch it unless it's our own product!" ok, won't be going to Kwik Fit again, so my advice is go to one of these part worn 2nd hand tyre places, took my wheels & tyres to one & they sorted it there & then,fitted & balanced no problem, for the total sum of £10, bargain :woot:

hope this helps
Dan

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally a reply!

to be honest.. if i have to leave that Pirelli in the boot i will go for a pair of Avons... :innocent:

coz a bit tight on budget at the moment.. and felt that the P6000 is a bit of a waste sitting in the boot doing nothing... so want to bring that out and see a bit of sunlight! :whistling:

So how safe or unsafe is this, or how practical is this?

Phil

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right... cheers mate...

I will ask the garage bloke tomorrow and ask about this... and may well need a bit of searching then...

Phil

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pirelli... you mean using the spare one with a new one or use new pair?

Anyway... if i have to get a new pair i will go for Avon or Falken..... due to budget really... :whistling:

·
at Vanishing Point....
3,994 Posts
Seem to remember reading somewhere that tyres do have a shelf life!!! As everyone has been saying, fit new tyres just to be sure and leave the pirelli as the spare.

As for the Kleber's, I'll vouch for them. My previous Silver Mondy has Kleber Hydraxers fitted all round. Had 3 sets of Klebers on the front and it's on it's second on the rear. The fronts lasted a year (25k in that year, so hardwearing!) while the rears lasted for 3 years (around 75k!) Good grip in the dry and in the wet. And they wern't too pricey, £75 a tyre - 215/45/17's mind!

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
I would have thought that a tyre which has spent much of its life in the boot would be ok to use. It's exposure to sunlight which causes them to degrade. For that reason, I believe, owners of caravans / motorhomes which do a low milage are recomended to replace the tyres every five years, regardless or tread depth.

I can vouch for Avons. I've used them for donkey's years! Not necessarily the best performing tyre out there, not that I've any complaints, but they seem a good compromise between cost, grip and wear.

:L

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right... Cheers guys!

I have asked the bloke in the garage.. and he told me where to go and ask...

Probably pop down tomorrow and ask about whether to use the spare or not... and then decide what to do next...

Luckily didn't leave it till too late... so got a bit of time to search for a bargin really :tongue:

Kwik fit... for the same price i get from the them i can get something much better from the internet! Just a fiver more per tyre and i will be using Falken not Arrowspeed! :tongue: What a surprise despite that place is so close to me that i can push my car there! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.