Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and would be grateful for any advice someone can offer me on the following.

On my way to work this morning my O/S/R tyre had a blow out (as seen in the pictures). I have since discovered that someone added extra weights to the wheel as a practical joke, these were added about two weeks ago and can be seen by the long line of weights next to the biggest hole in the tyre. I have since spoken to the person that added these weights and he's said that this wouldn't cause the tire to blow out. Having looked at the tyre it appears that there is uneven wear along the tyre (as seen in the pictures). As this wear is on the inside of the tyre I cannot be sure if it was there previously as the rest of the tire looks to be in good condition.

So my question, is it possible for these extra weights to cause the tyre to blow out? The car would have done approximately 300 miles since the weights were added

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Ford "Mechanic"
387 Posts
I can't see your pictures (nor can I tell you how to add them as I don't know myself!)

However from your description the addition of the weights is highly unlikely to have caused the blowout. The weight adder may actually have been trying to do you a favour by unbalancing your wheel to the point that you could feel it and check your wheels & tyres at which point you may then have discovered the extremely dangerous situation your tyre was in and done something about it before it failed.

Have you sideswiped a kerb recently? It definitely sound to me like a suspension component is worn or bent and your rear-wheels are now out of alignment and need adjusting. That and blebs in the tyre are some of the most common causes of uneven wear, not a few extra weights added to the rim (though I haven't seen how many yet it still seems unlikely to me that they did any damage).

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,466 Posts
I agree with Eddy, the extra weights won't have caused the blow out, but if I knew who had done that to my car HE would have been "knocked out"
I would certainly have expected the extra weights (if substantial) to cause a noticeable vibration in the car.
Regarding posting up pictures - you need to click on the bottom right hand corner of a reply to this topic box and select "more reply options"
This then gives you the facility to "browse" in your computer and import the picture

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't see your pictures (nor can I tell you how to add them as I don't know myself!)

However from your description the addition of the weights is highly unlikely to have caused the blowout. The weight adder may actually have been trying to do you a favour by unbalancing your wheel to the point that you could feel it and check your wheels & tyres at which point you may then have discovered the extremely dangerous situation your tyre was in and done something about it before it failed.

Have you sideswiped a kerb recently? It definitely sound to me like a suspension component is worn or bent and your rear-wheels are now out of alignment and need adjusting. That and blebs in the tyre are some of the most common causes of uneven wear, not a few extra weights added to the rim (though I haven't seen how many yet it still seems unlikely to me that they did any damage).
I agree with Eddy, the extra weights won't have caused the blow out, but if I knew who had done that to my car HE would have been "knocked out"
I would certainly have expected the extra weights (if substantial) to cause a noticeable vibration in the car.
Regarding posting up pictures - you need to click on the bottom right hand corner of a reply to this topic box and select "more reply options"
This then gives you the facility to "browse" in your computer and import the picture
Thanks for the responses, I'm currently winding him up bu saying he's got to pay for the replace wheel. For reference, I have attached pictures of the wheel which show the extra weights. Not sure how it's a practical joke as it's not something you'd notice until you take the wheel off.

Attachments

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,466 Posts
Yes, wind him up, its not a safe joke. Yes, thats a sidewall blow out. Do you know the tyre/cars history. The car may have been run with an extremely low pressure

Sent from my XT1032 using TalkFord.com mobile app

Reactions: silvercanary

·
Ford "Mechanic"
387 Posts
Its only about 50grams but it might have been enough to freak me out a bit (if i'd felt the vibration at all) but the back wheels are much less obvious when they are off-balance than the fronts so it seems to me like a bit of a waste.

The uneven wear looks to be either wheel-alignment, tyre-pressure and/or driving style related but wasn't yet anywhere near enough to puncture the tyre; it would have needed to be at least a few more mm through the tyre and closer to but probably through the cords and wires to cause a failure.

Suspension component wear and/or damage usually causes wheel-alignment to be wrong; if it's only on one back wheel it's fair to say its alignment related unless the tyre hasn't always been on that corner though alignment could have been out where it was before too. If you have TPMS you can rule out low pressure unless you ignore it or its broken as a puncture could cause uneven wear and weaken the sidewall quite quickly especially under heavy cornering. If you don't have TPMS i suggest you monitor your tyre pressures regularly but its cheaper and safer to do it every time you use your car.

And thankyou Trevor!

·
Ford "Mechanic"
387 Posts
:O QC is not as good with cheaper products I find nor is much else either.

OP's tyre was a Bridgestone though. I think they failed during a couple of Grand Prix races a decade ago but that was due to hitting a specific kerb on a track. Speed bumps might do it I guess especially if you can drive around most of it like the bumps with a gap in the middle

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Any reputable dealer or manufacturer would give you replacement equivalence for a faulty tyre. So, for example, if it blew when it was only 25% worn you would get 75% off a new one.

Take it back to where you bought it and see what they say.

·
Super Moderator
29,809 Posts
Looks like its been run at too low a pressure for a while.

What tyre pressure do you use? How often do you check it?

The weights on both sides of the wheel is fairly normal for alloys where the weights

are added inboard.

·
Ford "Mechanic"
387 Posts
Looks like its been run at too low a pressure for a while.

What tyre pressure do you use? How often do you check it?

The weights on both sides of the wheel is fairly normal for alloys where the weights

are added inboard.
There's three separate sets of weights... the bunch of 50 was added as "an hilarious joke"...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.