Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Big Megger
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after a second hand set of alloys for my daughters Fiesta to put winter tyres on.

I need to make sure they have the TPMS fitted though.

Is there a way to check by looking at the valve to find out?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
not sure if it helps but would it matter on the Fiesta? until recently there was a Cmax in the family (61 plate) which had tyre pressure warnings on the dash for low pressure and they seemed to just calculate the pressure from the wheel speed sensors. i repaired a couple of punctures in the tyres on that car and it just had standard valves (same as my 2010 Mondeo Zetec) but the monitoring system worked fine. i believe that this is the cheaper way of doing it (the valves with the sensors on, ive only really seen on Lexus, BMW, Mercedes etc and much more expensive) and last i heard they were £80 each if they failed! so im thinking that the Fiesta might have the less expensive method fitted.

·
Big Megger
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My reasoning behind this is with it being part of the mot and it being due in December is that the winter tyres will need switching just to do the mot and then swap back again.
So I thought if I could get some with TPMS wheels it's problem solved.
The alternative is to have the mot done now and put the winters on when required.
Decisions decisions. :)

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,465 Posts
I don't know when the change took place, but it was a few years ago now.
Early tpm was via abs wheel sensors and then Ford changed to sensors/monitors that are fitted to the valve head inside the tyre.
For quite some time there has been a warning in the rim of the alloy wheel that there maybe a tpms sensor inside the rim

Reactions: GJC2020

·
Big Megger
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know when the change took place, but it was a few years ago now.
Early tpm was via abs wheel sensors and then Ford changed to sensors/monitors that are fitted to the valve head inside the tyre.
For quite some time there has been a warning in the rim of the alloy wheel that there maybe a tpms sensor inside the rim
Trevor, it's a 2015 model, but I assumed they would all be fitted to the tyre rather than the ABS sensor, but I'll check tomorrow.

·
8 gears or more please
5,465 Posts
On that age veh I am.pretty certain the sensors were fitted to the valve inside the tyre

Reactions: tellmah

·
Big Megger
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trevor, you were right about the warning, but it states "it MAY be fitted" rather than it is fitted.

I think there's every chance they are fitted going off that.

·
8 gears or more please
5,465 Posts
I did say "maybe" fitted (well, I think I did, according to what I read above!!)

The wife does occasionally point out that if I don't look in the mirror every day I forget who I am, ha ha

Reactions: tellmah
1 - 9 of 9 Posts