Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the low profile 235/40 tyres on 18 inch wheels (Mondeo Mk4).

I am finding that I have to pump up the tyres every few weeks due to low pressure, particularly on the left hand side.

I asked the garage when it had its MOT and they said they were not damaged.

It is a bit irregular and the last two weeks it has not lost much pressure, just the left front a bit.

Is it normal for the pressure to go down regularly on these wheels?

I do drive on B-roads laden and I think it may be the potholes on the side of the road.

Would refurbishing the alloys be likely to help?.

·
8 gears or more please
5,369 Posts
Mine are still absolutely spot on and they were last reset 6 months ago and over 3,500 miles.

Need checking out

Leaking valve(s) - inner valve itself or where valve seals to wheel rim

Leaking tyre to rim seal, needs tyre removing, clean up rim where it seals with tyre and reseal

Check no run out (buckled) on rims whilst tyre removed

Ensure no cracks in alloy wheel - there probably won't be unless it's a 5 series Beemer, ha ha

Reactions: guitar

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hi

It can be corrosion around rim of wheel pushing rubber away allowing air to seep out. Mix up a soapy water mixture and spray around circumference of rim, concentrate around valve as well. You will see small air bubbles if this the problem. MK3 ST's had problems with corrosion between metal valves and alloy rims causing air leaks.

If you find signs of leakage, a tyre shop should be able to remove tyre, thoroughly clean rim and tyre. Then refit with tyre soap to give a seal. A permanent solution would be a wheel refurb and new valves, if you feel car deserves a spruce up. Perhaps a change of colour.

Peter

Reactions: guitar

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks TreveorB i will check further.

Thanks ST56 for that I will mix up some car shampoo and spray around the rims and valves and see.

If so then I'll try to ask get a tyre shop to clean it. :biggrin:

Rufurbishment would obviously look nice.

·
Big Megger
3,010 Posts
If you haven't done it yet, I would take the wheel off so it's flat and water can sit in the seal and give a better result.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts