Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Ford reccomended tyre pressures for the 7x18 wheels on the Mk3 are 31psi rear and 30psi front, but what do you run yours at?

I found out the hard way on some alloys on another car that with lower profile tyres, you need to keep the PSI up.

Many people have suggested 40psi, the garages where I have had tyres from also say that 40psi is what they set them too when they add a new tyre and that 40psi won't do any harm at all.

With winter around the corner, I was just wondering what people run their psi at and what effects if any will be had by running the psi at 40 (apart from less comfort when driving of course)

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
ConcreteMonkey said:
I have been told by some people that they reduce the pressure in the tyres in Winter to increase grip. This actually work?
yes it does i been told this too

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mondeoman said:
Maybe that is a snow and ice thing? Increased pressures (up to a point) normally result in higher grip under normal road conditions.
I was under the impression that higher presures resuted in less surface area connecting with the road, which reduced grip.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
yeah higher pressure result in less grip

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
i think thats a bit high is it not? i put 32 in mine all round on my 16's or are yours bigger and need different pressures? my tyres sit how they should when at 32

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
It probably is a bit high, but when theres only 30-32psi in them they always look a litle flat to me. Plus theres more chance of damaging the rim on all the speed bumps round our way. Ive never had any probs with running them at these pressures though like i said. Plus somehow the car feels more responsive on these pressures, though there was nowt wrong with it before. Even at 38psi its still well withing the max permitted pressures though so theres no safety concerns. Mine are 18's by the way.

·
Megger
100 Posts
How can Ford say to run them at 31 rear and 30 front when the tyre pressure guide in the fuel flap says 36 front and 33 rear. This seems like quite a difference to me.

Richard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.