Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How critical is the direction of rotation specified for the tyre? Does this refer to performance or safety? Basically if I run a tyre in the wrong direction for a few weeks what are the consequences (No I don't intend to do a lot of reversing!! :tongue: ).
Cheers. :L

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
Don't do it.The tyre is designed to run in ONE
direction.

·
MEG Corporal
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know but what are we talking about here?
Increased wear?
Reduced grip?
Instant tyre disintegration?

How about your spare tyre? It has to be able to go in either direction.

I'm really stuck at the moment cause I lost 2 steelies to a grand-canyon type pothole and with a few other punctures thrown in, I'm getting low on options. :sad:

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
RMDrive said:
Yeah I know but what are we talking about here?
Increased wear?
Reduced grip?
Instant tyre disintegration?

How about your spare tyre? It has to be able to go in either direction.

I'm really stuck at the moment cause I lost 2 steelies to a grand-canyon type pothole and with a few other punctures thrown in, I'm getting low on options. :sad:
thats why a back up tyre ( ie in boot ) will have a max speed ( ie 40mph etc ) as they are only there to get you out of trouble.
as said most tyres are only made to go one way mate , so i would stick with them facing the right way mate :L

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Having a limited information i can't really say anything.

But for directional tyres if it is fitted in reverse then it is best to treat it as 'temporary spare', i.e. maximum speed of 50mph. Especially with the winter monthes the aquaplaning properties will be unpredictable if it is fitted in reverse.

It shouldn't mean instant failure, but it's really uncertain about what's going to happen.

Best thing is to get it sorted as soon as possible.

For potholes i will try to avoid them if possible. But normally it shouldn't be a huge problem if they are not seriously big... and my spare tyre is a truly 'spare' - still legal, and is only intended to get me to the destination and get it sorted asap.

·
Everybody lies
4,863 Posts
You would think going by those comments the tyre will explode killing you, your family and the last of the panda`s, I would`nt race on a reversed tyre, but if you are just tootling back and forth to work for a couple of weeks, I would`nt worry about it.

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
Praxis said:
You would think going by those comments the tyre will explode killing you, your family and the last of the panda`s, I would`nt race on a reversed tyre, but if you are just tootling back and forth to work for a couple of weeks, I would`nt worry about it.
did any one say it was gona kill him , if you put a life jacket on the wrong way it will do the job , but not right , the same in this topic about the tyre , though as said i would not put a tyre on the wrong way , i would get a new one :L

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
at the end of the day it depends on the tyre.

the tyres i currently have on my mondy are exactly the same on all 4 wheels so 2 of em are running backwards & i have no problems at all and its sailed through its MOT. ( the spare can go either way too with no limitations as its the same size as the rest of the wheels )

the only time they should be running in one direction only is when it says so on the side of the tyre but like has been said if its just as a put you on then running one the wrong way should not be a problem if you drive steady & watch out for big puddles etc & slow down for em.

I ran with one tyre the wrong way round for a few days after i bought a set of alloys for my mk3 and suffered no blowouts or performance problems at all ( it was summer & sunny though so i did not have worry about puddles )

·
MEG Corporal
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have one of the "real" spares rather than the space saver so thats why I mentioned it.
Anyway it sounds like its something to avoid so I'll get things sorted out this week. I'll keep the speed down until I get everything spinning the right way.

Thanks for the advice on avoiding potholes. I'll bear it in mind! :gayfight:
This baby was something else though. A watermain had burst overnight and created a 4" high "step" in the road just around a corner. All I could do was swear in the hope that the bad language would lift me off the road. :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.