Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am sure this has been discussed before, but here goes.

vehicle Mondeo 4.5 Titanium estate believed to have sport suspension and 17 inch standard wheels.

When purchased 25000 miles most tyres badly worn on inner edge, first inch or so (stepped) not easily noticed unless you get down to them. History showed that ford had checked alignment and approved. Horrible sound from rear tyres checked rear bearings several times as they sounded like they were shot. got tracking front checked several times and told they were in tolerance but tyres still wearing inner edge but not feathered tread as I would expect from tracking problems. Ended up adjusting myself by aligning by eye to the rear tyres (allowing for track difference) it was clear they were toeing out a little. Anyway brought new cheep tyres in case problem still there and now 18000 miles on nice even wear across tyre.

I turned my attention to the rear and put on a couple of part worn tyres I had with even wear and have now found these are stepping on the inside also and now the bearing sounding noise is back.

I brought a trackrite gauge and found that my front wheels are now 1.5 mm toe in which the Haynes manual states is the nominal setting.

It shows the rear wheels are parallel and according to the Haynes manual they should be set to a nominal setting of 2.8mm toe in.

Again the tyres tread does not look feathered just badly worn on inner edge.

OK my problem I have never found after 55 years driving and maintaining cars a garage I trust to set up tracking, hence I developed the visual method on my 33 year old capri over the years, however I have never had to align rear wheels and with eccentric bolt to adjust independently on each side cannot use my method.

So can someone please help by advising firstly whether there is any other reason for the stepping on the inner edge. Second is the Haynes manual correct in the stated toe in for the rear wheels and lastly do you know anyone I can trust to put the four wheel alignment right preferably in the Milton Keynes area although I am prepared to travel to get the job done correctly.

Many thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
There's not much in the way of adjustment on the rear of the Mondeo. Any alignment issues that can't be corrected by the eccentric bolts mean replacement bushes on the 4 parts of the suspension at the rear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought this might get a little more response. Please help should the rear tracking be set to 2.8 mm toe in as stated in the Haynes manual...mines set to zero (parallel)... used to be able to go into ford etis but it now warns me not to log in as a customer....please any help!!!

·
Big Megger
3,046 Posts
I thought this might get a little more response. Please help should the rear tracking be set to 2.8 mm toe in as stated in the Haynes manual...mines set to zero (parallel)... used to be able to go into ford etis but it now warns me not to log in as a customer....please any help!!!
Re ETIS, if you register as a business and tell a few pokie pies, you can access it.

You will still have to pay for any info for maintenance etc.

4 wheel alignment, look for Hunter machines. The only other issue with that is Kwik fit have them, so I would try somewhere else unless you trust them.

https://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

·
Registered
732 Posts
It might be tyres themselves.

I have Hankook Ventus Prime 3's which all have massive wear on the inner elbow. Just the elbow -and nowhere else. And the front wheels have never been in the back and vice versa.

So -in my case- the tyres are most likely to blame. Possibly the core of the tyres is too flexible (the VP3's have very sloppy maneuverability) .

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,497 Posts
Felizpie, I have the correct toe in figures on my.laptop, but, windows is doing a real massive update at moment, so I cannot access the info.
As soon as I can I will post up the toe figures

·
8 gears or more please
5,497 Posts
Felizpie,

The correct rear toe in for Mondeo Mk4 or Mk4.5 in mm is

"Nominal Setting" 2.8mm plus or minus 1mm.

There is a "Tolerance Setting" of 2.8mm plus or minus 2.5mm

Basically it is also a matter of what is happening to the tyres under current settings

For example, if the rear tyres are wearing on inside edge and toe in is 1.8 (which is acceptable) I would still adjust to give a little more toe in

My comments assume all susp bushes etc etc are in perfect order etc and camber is also within limits

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It might be tyres themselves.

I have Hankook Ventus Prime 3's which all have massive wear on the inner elbow. Just the elbow -and nowhere else. And the front wheels have never been in the back and vice versa.
That's a good point, I had some Michelin Pilot Super Sports which were terrible on the rear after only 10000 miles. The Pirelli PZero Nero GTs reached 35000 miles but you could hear them at about 25000 miles.

This time I put Vredestein Ultrac Satin all round and they are the best so far. Fitted in summer 2018, covered about 20000 miles and have 5.5mm in the outer sipes, and 6.5mm in the main radial sipes (where the tyre wear is actually measured) even wear at the rear with zero stepping.

·
Super Moderator
30,028 Posts
Is it down to the jacking it up and the suspension is settling differently.

Worn bushes?

I remember one of the reps having really bad rear tyre wear on a Rover 75 estate.

Every service he would be complaining about the tyre wear and they always found

it to be correctly adjusted.

The problem was he always emptied the car when taking it for the service and then

loaded up hundreds of kg of stuff. He took it in loaded and they adjusted the

suspension and it was all good after that.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Watching with interest. I replaced the bushes on my N/S last summer and fitted new tyres in February. Only done a few thousand miles since due to lockdown. Got it on the ramp today after the cam belt failed and I see cord showing on the inside edges of the rear shoulders. Front tyres are still like new so something's not right.

·
8 gears or more please
5,497 Posts
Need to get geometry settings/figures

Assume all susp bushes are in good order and rear shock absorbers damping both ways

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the input..I have been unable to go into this further over the past few weeks because of other life problems ...however thanks for confirming the settings, these need to be corrected first and also having read another post on here will check the bump stops to see if they have been abused. Certainly the car has been used quite a lot with weighty equipment up back which would increase wear on the inner edges too wouldn't? The sports suspension is a bit vicious too. I got to find a garage that will let me see what they are doing and have a look myself while its up on a ramp and also let me take the car out around the block and retest after the car has settled, because as I have stated earlier never yet in 55 years of motoring found anywhere that have succeeded to set tracking up correctly. Unfortunately it takes wearing out (quickly) a new set of tyres before you realise that they have over corrected an error buy not resettling the suspension/steering or checking on a different part of the wheel...as I don't know how true modern alloys are but the old steel wheels could have a lot of run-out. I will try to keep informed but will take time to see when I put new tyres on if the incorrect tracking is the fault. As I said it has solved the problem on the front .. but strange that the wear tends to be just a step on the inner edge and not feathering of the tread across the hole width of the tyre, which used to show that way on thinner section tyres in days gone bye.

·
Registered
14 Posts
never yet in 55 years of motoring found anywhere that have succeeded to set tracking up correctly
If you're in Bucks, then have a look at Northampton Motorsport. It won't be cheap, but they can set up any car (not just race cars) including yours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys have not got any further with this, just finished quarantine on Tues and lockdown started Thursday. Got a garage next door to me to fit two tires and spray the eccentric bolts on the rear ready to check on their brand new equipment (not Hunter unfortunately but similar) However they buggered up my alloy wheel key (£34.20) and told me the rear bushes are shot, when they looked fine to me and the mot man, so I am concerned about letting them near the tracking.

On the Wednesday between quarantine and Lockdown I used the car whch had been standing for 6 weeks got a full tank to diesel and set of on a round trip of 300 miles only to get an injector problem after 20 miles. If you know much about them perhaps you can help me out on that topic which I am just putting up. Man thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,028 Posts
Yep regarding tyres pressures, the handbook is a guideline. When fitting Khumo

tyres i always added a few extra PSI because they would wear mor on the inner

and outer edge showing it was under inflated.

Different brands will vary, stiffer sidewalls maybe less sensitive to PSI changes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts