Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Megger
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has lacked power the last couple momths & been hungyry for fuel!! Took it to my local ford garadge they plugged it into the diagnostics machiene & said its one of my EGO Sensors? there not sure witch one as there are 4 of them & they are £80 each from ford!!! :headshake: Where are located & can i get them cheaper & sort out myself? anyone else had this problem?

·
I Love Diesel
2,174 Posts
HEGO aka O2 aka LAMBDA sensor. theres a sticky on them in the transmission/fuel/intakes forum. surprised they cant pin it down a bit closer really, maybe they want you to buy four. :loopy:

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
They are talking out of there arses! For a start there are only two, one on the front bank downpipe and one on the rear, and if they plugged their diagnostic equiptment in it would tell them exactly which one was faulty!

Take it to a different garage!

·
Megger
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thing is the owner is a very good friend of me & my dad so i wudnt of thought they wud try to rip me off!! didnt cost me anything to plug into the diagnostic machine

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
what year car is is? later cars have upstream and downstream O2 IIRC.

·
Megger
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a 99 V plate mate, they said something bout upstream & downstream! so how easy are they to change myself?

·
Megger
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MONDYMANv6 said:
they are not that bad to change , just fiddley to do , you can miss them , and there is only 2 :L
So whats this upstream & downstream all about then mate? where can i get some cheap???

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
late V6 mk3's have 4 sensors, as dave v6 said. They are used to measure catalyst efficiency so one is needed each side of the two cats.

Cheap sensors are a false economy, they dont last as long and pay a vital role in correct air/fuel ratio and catalyst life.

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
danV6 said:
late V6 mk3's have 4 sensors, as dave v6 said. They are used to measure catalyst efficiency so one is needed each side of the two cats.

Cheap sensors are a false economy, they dont last as long and pay a vital role in correct air/fuel ratio and catalyst life.
thats a good point , i thought he had a MK2 but if you say a mk3 as 4 then i did not know they had 4 either , lean somthing each day :D

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
scuzzie2k said:
MONDYMANv6 said:
they are not that bad to change , just fiddley to do , you can miss them , and there is only 2 :L
So whats this upstream & downstream all about then mate? where can i get some cheap???
what have you got , mk2 or mk3

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
He has a mk2 (as it is V reg, and I looked quickly at his previous posts!) so it will only have the two.

·
Big Megger
148 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts