Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been loitering around the forums for a while through a couple of different Mondeo ownerships ( last was a 55plate 2.0 tdci Ghia X) and got some really useful info.

Thinking of taking the plunge back into ownership again with a MK4 '09 2.2 tdci Titanium X Sport with 109,000 Nice looking car and looks in great condition. One thing that came up though, review of MOT history states

• advice on heavy underseal at front and rear axles and underside and sills inner and outer all over
Looking through the MOT history, there's never been any mention of rust on any of those components.... Should I be worried someone's covering something up, or pleased that someone has looked after the car enough to underseal it?

Anything else I should look for when looking at the car? And realistically, what MPG can I expect from the 2.2TDCI

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
Mondeo mk3 tdci titanium 2006 170k miles + mondeo mk3 2004 st tdci 123k miles
362 Posts
Probably just covering their back just incase it's got major corrosion and been covered with underseal. Maybe it was taken to a different mot station .

It's hard to day if it's a someone looking after their car or someone covering up a major problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably just covering their back just incase it's got major corrosion and been covered with underseal. Maybe it was taken to a different mot station .

It's hard to day if it's a someone looking after their car or someone covering up a major problem
Thanks, going to look at the car tomorrow, so will try and have a look under it, but doubt I will be able to tell much.

As you say hard one to call, not sure if I would be more or less concerned if there had been any previous fails or advisories for rust or corrosion

I'm hoping no previous comments about corrosion on what looks like a minted car with 9 service stamps, indicates more someone looking after it, than anything bad

Cheers

Graeme ..

·
Mosquito
Mondeo MK 3 2.2 TDCI Ghia X
564 Posts
If it was me and I was concerned about possible hidden bad corrosion on thin metal areas, I would take with me a pointed implement such as an awl, or even a dart and give them areas a decent prod.

I would be more suspicious if it was a dealer.

Check oil level and if recently serviced, colour.

In my experience service stamps don’t mean a thing.

Test drive going through ALL gears and listening for any unusual sounds.

Check that all electrical applications work.

Check the colour of the exhaust. It should not be blue or black.

This list is not exhaustive.

When I was younger, I actually had a list I went through and if any acceptable defects were found, I used these as a bargaining tool.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Hiding poor welds after some crash damage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was me and I was concerned about possible hidden bad corrosion on thin metal areas, I would take with me a pointed implement such as an awl, or even a dart and give them areas a decent prod.

I would be more suspicious if it was a dealer.

Check oil level and if recently serviced, colour.

In my experience service stamps don’t mean a thing.

Test drive going through ALL gears and listening for any unusual sounds.

Check that all electrical applications work.

Check the colour of the exhaust. It should not be blue or black.

This list is not exhaustive.

When I was younger, I actually had a list I went through and if any acceptable defects were found, I used these as a bargaining tool.
Thanks Jack, but the description of the MOT advisory it doesn't look like it's specific area, more the majority of the underside....

Would be a shame to walk away, from the pics on the ad it looks in great nick.... Right enough that could be because it's been crash damaged and repaired/resprayed. £3495 for a 2009 2.2titanium X sport with 109k on it....needing a timing belt and discs/pads all round though.. so that's about £1k in work..

·
Mosquito
564 Posts
Thanks Jack, but the description of the MOT advisory it doesn't look like it's specific area, more the majority of the underside....

Would be a shame to walk away, from the pics on the ad it looks in great nick.... Right enough that could be because it's been crash damaged and repaired/resprayed. £3495 for a 2009 2.2titanium X sport with 109k on it....needing a timing belt and discs/pads all round though.. so that's about £1k in work..
Good luck mate, hope it goes ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck mate, hope it goes ok.
Couldn't have been that bad, phoned the garage today to arrange viewing tonight.. car was sold last night.... Damn!!!!

Really looking for a titanium X, as last few cars have had leather interior (including my Ghia X) but doesn't seem too many of them about in my low budget.... Pity the used car prices are going nuts at the moment... Oh well... Need to see what else might be going.... Sacrilage on a Ford forum I know... But there was quite a nice Saab 9-3 sportswagon going....can't really hold off too long maybe I'll get back in a Ford in the next car..... :)

·
Mosquito
564 Posts
Unlucky.

Got to admit I do like the Saab 9-3, nice looking car.

I know what you mean about having leather, I’ve got a 56 plate MK3 Ghia X and I love it.

Again, good luck with new search.

Take care now.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
I have the part leather seats, not that keen on full leather ones. Those X-Sports are rather pricey.

£3495 is more than I paid for my 2013 2L TDCI in 2018.... Zetec Business, with part leather and the MCA NAV
unit etc. Possibly better spec than the X-Sport but without the bodykit and twin exhausts and without that
200bhp 2.2L diesel.. :(
Although the older ones dont have 200bhp do they?

Anyone selling a nice cheap 2.2L estate (Business with part leather and MCA) etc? :)

Coming from a 2.2L MK3 to the 2L MK4.5 it really felt sluggish. Less power and more weight...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts