Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a Ford focus 62' plate, and it's the 1.0 ecoboost 100ps (Talked into it) But i'm looking for more power. So I was wondering what's the differenece between the 100ps and 125ps?

Could I take the turbo etc from the 125ps and add it to my car as a staight swap?

And what will I get from a remap? =P

Thanks
Vince

·
Premium Member
7,655 Posts
dont swap turbo's around as it might damage that warranty (even though its a genuine Ford part) just get it remapped, I can only guess what the figures whould be, contact Superchips about a Bluefin upgrade.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true,

I contacted them a while back, and they told me they haven't done a 100ps to date so far.

But if I go in they'll do something for me. But I felt more like a guinea pig, and wanted some reviews on upgrading the 100ps.

Thanks
Vince

·
Focus Mk3 Moderator
2,216 Posts
I think considering a major operation like changing a turbo on a brand new car is madness. Its probably the same turbo anyway.
I could be wrong, but the difference in power between the 100 PS and 125 PS is probably down to just software.
When you look at the official figures theres not a lot to justify the lower powered version.
Sure it costs £500 cheaper, and even though the emissions are only 5g/km lower it does qualify for one lower road tax band - £20 rather than £30 per year, so not a big saving.
The official performance figures has it 1.2 seconds slower 0-60 and 5mph slower top speed, but it only manages 2.5mpg more on the combined cycle.
It only has a 5 speed gearbox as well.
Its also sold alongside the 125PS in the most popular/desirable trim specs, so doesnt have exclusivity in that respect.
I cant see this engine being very popular....not because its bad in any way(in fact its very good), but because it doesnt seem to make a lot of sense compared to the 125PS.

I realise you probably know all this already Vince, so i can absolutely understand you wanting more power, because i would too.

·
Premium Member
7,655 Posts
I think considering a major operation like changing a turbo on a brand new car is madness. Its probably the same turbo anyway.
I could be wrong, but the difference in power between the 100 PS and 125 PS is probably down to just software.
When you look at the official figures theres not a lot to justify the lower powered version.
Sure it costs £500 cheaper, and even though the emissions are only 5g/km lower it does qualify for one lower road tax band - £20 rather than £30 per year, so not a big saving.
The official performance figures has it 1.2 seconds slower 0-60 and 5mph slower top speed, but it only manages 2.5mpg more on the combined cycle.
It only has a 5 speed gearbox as well.
It is also sold alongside the 125PS in the most popular/desirable trim specs, so doesnt have exclusivety in that respect.
I cant see this engine being very popular because it doesnt seem to make a lot of sense compared to the 125PS.

I realise you probably know all this already Vince, so i can absolutely understand you wanting more power.
Thats all very interesting Ron.....but the Op has already purchased the 100PS car! Horse and bolted springs to mind

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes
I didn't really wanna change the turbo for cost but I just wanna know eBay is the difference.

I went from a 80bhp fiesta to this 100bhp focus and at 20 I thought it wouldn't bother me but I just went that little but more power.

So maybe just a simple re map might be in order.

Would a remap be able to turn into the 125ps after a remap.

For example a remap on the 125ps jumps to 140 something, would mine 100ps jump to 140 summit if it's a software thing xD

·
MEG Sergeant
5,364 Posts
Hi, I'd be surprised if the remap from the 125 version couldn't be used on the 100, they all are, after all, more or less exactly the same mechanical specs. I would have thought the risk is small with superchips and acceptable, after all they are one of the experts...

·
Focus Mk3 Moderator
2,216 Posts
I know what you mean about wanting more power - i went from an 82bhp Civic to my 180bhp Focus.
I had the Civic for 2 years and to be fair it was ok once you accepted its limitations and drove it accordingly. Its lack of overtaking ability was its major weakness for me, so was a major improvement when i got the Focus. Its surprising how quickly you get used to the extra power though....

I think a remap is the way to go, and the fact that Superchips dont currently have one will probably just be down to popularity.
The gearing on the 100PS will be different due to having a 5 speed box, so that will come into the end result.
You would expect a remap to take the 100PS engine at least above the 125, if not up to the level of a remapped 125PS.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love that to be the case, spend 300-400 quid and gain 40-45 bhp or ps which it used one days.

And being superchip reversible.

·
MEG Sergeant
5,364 Posts
Hi, despite it maybe not the ps increase that the 125 gets what you really should be looking at is the increase in torque.
Chris

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I've emailed suprrchips for s word, it's got to worth the upgrade in ps what ever it is.

Drove work this morning and nice with 100ps if driving smoothly.

Got to be done I think

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've emailed ford as well to see if they will tell me what's the difference between the 100ps and 125ps models mechanically/electrically.

And see my options upgrading through them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would guess its just software, if you let superchips have a play you would probably get it for free. I thought the ecoboost had the turbo and manifold and cat all cast as one ? Chances are the remap would get you to 140 bhp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, any updates on this? Can u use the bluefin map for the 125ps on the 100ps? I have the 100ps engine and was considering buying the bluefin for the 125ps and hoping it would work tbh.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey mate,

not update as of yet, suprrchips got back to me and said they're doing there first end of Jan, so I'm watching their website for info
when they release it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just had a look on Ford Ecat, and the only difference I can see between the 100ps and the 125ps is the turbo, lists different part numbers for each type.
All other parts, for example, injectors, intake, exhaust system, are the same.

Jon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts