Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MEG Sergeant
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gents and gentle ones. Check your upvc replacement window frames for a major security flaw that I have only just discovered (very nearly the hard way).

Took senior management shopping on Sunday and returned home to find the local crack addict placing the pane of glass from my rear window against the wall. He had removed the beading that holds the glass in place. The beading was fitted externally and was apparently quite a common proceedure some time ago, apparently they now fit it internally. So if you have old replacement windows, check to see which side your beading is fitted.

I was lucky, I returned home in time to save my property as well as the crack head from committing a crime. Sadly the police didn’t share my enthusiasm for the crack heads redemption from sin and arrested me on charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. Have been released on police bail pending dismissal of all charges. The crack head was stoned at the time he “fell” (honestly officer) and is none the wiser. He will probably wake up thinking he has cut himself shaving or the like.

But seriously, check your window frames

·
Premium Member
26,464 Posts
mate, you really need to move.... :whistling:

it'll be another 6 years before property prices go up!

Girlfriend wants to move to lewisham, i'm not convinced to be honest....

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Ours are on the inside. I know that as I had to remove the one in the front room to get our new 3 seater settee in.

·
MEG Captain
3,040 Posts
although they do come out from the outside they should not be easy to remove once the inside gasket is in place
i think he may have done a days work once for a window company
sorry to hear about his unlucky fall just as well you were there to administer some first aid

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
That's an old design!! The old ones were like that-you could remove beading in less than a minute and be in,don't ask how i know (bro worked for glazing firm at time ;) My mums face when he showed her was a picture)

·
Anything u like..
1,743 Posts
I have this before too, there is a guy at work who is either dodgy or he has worked in double glazing before (Didnt hang round to ask him) he went to great lengths to tell me about the windows with external beading.

We had ours replaced just after christmas and ours are internal. Although i guess all new installations would be now?

·
Registered
90 Posts
when i had new units fitted 3 years ago, the glazing guy asked which way round i wanted the frames. he said the beading was designed to look a bit like the putty, and to look right should go on the outside, and that although it is technically possible to pull it out and lift the pane out, my windows are so big [1970s house/picture windows] that nobody is going to bother to do that. in fact, if they want to get in, a half brick is much easier than messing about trying to carefully lift pieces of glass out.

·
MEG's resident oven
11,381 Posts
mark_w said:
when i had new units fitted 3 years ago, the glazing guy asked which way round i wanted the frames. he said the beading was designed to look a bit like the putty, and to look right should go on the outside, and that although it is technically possible to pull it out and lift the pane out, my windows are so big [1970s house/picture windows] that nobody is going to bother to do that. in fact, if they want to get in, a half brick is much easier than messing about trying to carefully lift pieces of glass out.
but draws much less attention if they do it carefully,ie no broken glass noise etc. can sneak in and out when the owners are in bed without anybody knowing.my neighbour was robbed like that a few years back :shocked:

·
Registered
90 Posts
yes, but although there are people who can break into your car or mine without leaving a mark on it, for example, using such finesse is pretty rare. if someone wants to rob your property, he'll do it no matter what. i bet there are very very few instances of this ever actually taking place successfully.
and besides, if anyone did get in, he'd have to get past 3 dogs.

·
MEG Sergeant
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mark_w said:
I was discussing this at work this morning with some friends of mine, one told me about a house that was burgled in full view of the neighbours, they all thought the men were suposed to be working there as they all looked the part and had the right tools etc.

anyway, have tidied up the window and my neighbour whose windows were also damaged by this prat is threatening to sue the prat for the damage he caused to his windows.

As Monk said, it's time to move

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
Ah, and there was me wanting to move to London in a year and a bit!

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
Only cause you wanna come out on the bevvy with me like we've been trying to arrange for ever :}
I prob will, need to get away from where I am at the minute. Note to self, check UPVC windows when checking flats in London :eyesup:

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
On Friday some toe rag stuck a crow bar under the window frame and forced it open. Glass intact and just the handle broke off inside.

Nicked 12 30" lcd tvs :(

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Monkeyra said:
Girlfriend wants to move to lewisham, i'm not convinced to be honest....
Noooooo, gran lives in Forest Hill, keep away if you ask me!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
gotta love it some utta low life breaks into ur house u kick the shit out of him becoz no other fuker will and ur the one in jail lol gotta love it

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
For Sale:

12 x 30" LCD's - See Dansmondeo for details :)

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
thought every-one know this news already?

theres a type off glazing that uses internally sealed glass using a plastic, which is hard to remove full stop.

it also has steel reinforcements all round the window and 4 locking points per window.

oh and there are doors that use full steel internals, as the other method used is to remove the plastic pains from the door.
i payed around £1K more for mine then the standard windows, and around £500 for the door. saves my insurance premuim too.

and another thing if you got double glazed door make sure the door is looked from the inside, as they can be very easily opened if there not.

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
DavePage said:
For Sale:

12 x 30" LCD's - See Dansmondeo for details :)
If I knew where they where :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts