Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Megger
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:BEEP: :BEEP: :BEEP:

Hi all really need some info ASAP. Just fitted a recon'd IMRC from Nick, and after 2 1/2 hours coupled with a calamity of catastrophic tool failures and hardly any fingers left, I put it all back together and took it for a spin. Didnt notice that the temp was on red until half way up the dual carriageway and I did notice that the car struggled to get to 4k intitially. Pulled over and had a look. Water res was bubbling over. Let it cool down and I limped home. Put all my heaters on to take some heat out of the bay but this eventually went cold. By the time I got home (mile away) just checked the res and its nearly empty. My gut feeling is that the HG has gone. Would any of my work done this morning have contributed to this happening? I only went as far as taking the throttle body off the UIM - even that was a frightening sight!!

Any advise or additional checks I could do would really be appreciated as I'm starting to ask myself if i'd put things back together properly.

Also, what would have happened if the cable from the IMRC had come away from the ball housing that it clips to down below? Could this have done it??

Ta (need a volunteer to tell the wife)

Dougie

·
MEG Sergeant
2,338 Posts
wouldnt have thought any of the work you have done would cause this. id take the water pump off & check to see if its broken up inside if its the plastic type :L

·
Megger
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate. Phoned up the local Independent Ford Expert?? and after explaining the IMRC he siad he had an idea of what it could be. I then mentioned the water pump and he said it could be - quite evasive these guys are but v good but expensive! I said could he source the metal impellar types for 40 quid, to which he answered no as its not an original ford part :crazy: and that it would cost him more than £40 for the original. Asked how much to fit once I got one from here :L and again evasive, "bring it down, we'll have a look at it and fit your part".
So away for the weekend, fingers crossed it is only the pump, will have a look on monday and get a tow to the garage

·
MEG Sergeant
2,338 Posts
ok mate let us know how you get on :L
like kerry said easy enough to fit yourself if they want to much

·
Megger
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one. Can't do till Monday. Just been begging for the metal impellar pump to (bugger, forgotten his name - Big DaveD??? Sorry!!Is it easier than the IMRC swap - total ijit when it comes to mechanics so to date I can:
Change the plugs - all six
IMRC change
Fill up with fuel :D

Thanks all

·
Registered
171 Posts
when my water pump went i changed mine to a metal impeller type which i got from a motor factors called h.cox which is only a tiny company, but i asked them to check first to see if it was a metal one from their suppliers. they rang back to say it was metal and it cost no more than 40 squid including the fresh antifreeze, and they delived it to my door within an hour, which by then i had the old one out ready and waiting for the new one to arrive. quite an easy job really. so just ring round a few motor factor places in your area and ask them to find out if its a metal impeller or not before buying it :L

·
MEG Colonel
5,351 Posts
kerryw said:
fit it yourself mate :L very easy if a bit messy! there is a how to on here somewhere in the workshop.
i managed to change one so it cant be that diffcult

just make sure you clean all the old gasket off well

·
Registered
66 Posts
changed mine last night (Long story see other thread!) and it took under an hour.. was pouring down with rain and it was dark (so i had a torch in my mouth! lol)

Not to difficult a job really, if a little fiddly with the lower bolts..

·
Megger
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, very small hands up! Who said it was easy!!?
Well, due to my crap socket wrench type thing and small straight arm socket screw driver type thingy(nice definitions hey!) being broke from the IMRC swap over last week, I've managed to get off 7 of the bolts. First question is how easy is it to get the pipes off. Those metal clip things are a right :BEEP: to undo. The only bolt that is left is part of the impellar housing, the main three have come off from the block but still cant free it from those pipes.
On a good note though - managed to source a metal impellar pump, £30 pick up tomoz :L
Any further, useful advise chaps on these pipes will be greatly appreciated :L
(Still no oil on the dip or around the oil cap, but still keep picturing that white smoke coming outta the back at WOT :( )

·
My name is Steve
6,700 Posts
I replied to this on an earlier thread somewhere, my waterpump went and weeks/month later H/G went, there was no apparent differences in driving just a quiet ticking noise and excessive pressure in the header tank, i drove mine for ages like that.
No oil/water mix or major loss of fluids.
Just loosened off the pressure cap and kept an eye on the water levels.

Good luck though

·
Megger
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
damn, always happens - you write an essay on your problems and it doesnt save it!!

Hello, me again, sorry for dragging this one out again.
I've managed to get the impellar off and to my dismay there is only a small crack in it.
Gonna put the metal impellar on now, put it all back together and see if its still the same and look for leaks.
OR, could it actually be a problem with the main pump assembly? Still having trouble separating that from the three pipes that connect to it - how the hell do you loosen those clips from the pipes without breaking them??

Gonna go and get my teeth drilled if I cant sort this one out in the next 24hrs!!

TVM
Dougie

·
Megger
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, i'm quickly giving up on this, me thinks RAC man can have a go tomorrow....
Just put it all back together and it's smoking from the belt. I'm positive that its gone on the correct way as i'd labelled it up with an arrow on some tape. Put back on in same posn.
But as the how to says: 'To remove the belt, simply push the tensioner assembly into the engine bay with one hand and slip the belt from it's location. Note which way the belt come off for re-assembly'. Should it matter which way it goes on as long as its not inside out (with the grooves on the outside?) :D

Dont get me wrong the how to is fine, just me with RTFI syndrome.. :stupid:
Its a motocraft belt and the writing reads downward on the belt if that makes sense. After noticing it burning I swapped it around - still burning. What a palaver (spelling?)
Off to Fraud's tomoz to get a new belt
Thanks again for any info

Dougie

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
doesnt really matter which way round the belt is fitted as long as the grooves are on the inside. Sounds to me that the pump isnt turning, did you check before refitting the belt ??

·
Megger
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks DanV6, I didnt realise the pump would turn without the belt attached; thought that was the belts job.
I will start the car without the belt on tomorrow
and see if its turning. I have only changed the impellar housing, could it be the Pump main body assembly?? What is in there BTW???
Ta

Dougie (ma head is really beginning to hurt now)

·
Big Megger
460 Posts
Pump will not turn with belt off. I suggest you take the belt off and try to turn the pump by hand as it sounds like yours is seized. If it doesn't move then you need to change the pump.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.