Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love Diesel
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i am looking to buy some sort of cheap V6 mk2 mondeo, hopefully under 100K miles. it occurred to me it might be a good idea to purchase a warranty at the same time, given their habit of breaking water pumps, blowing head gaskets etc.

what i need to know is how much claim limit would i need to go for? there are some cheap 12 month policies, say £150, that cover most things up to £1,000 maximum single claim. is that enough? there are others that are £245, with single claim limit of £3,000.

ive tried a couple of links off the autotrader website so far, but can anyone recommend any other insurers that theyve used? and what else do i need to look for in the small print? this would be most helpful to me. :)

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
id go for the 3000 one m8 £1000 isnt gonna be enough if anything major like a head gasket needs doing.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
here's one for you to check in the small print, some will only payout a total off the cars book price.

i.e you may take a £3K policy out, where they repair to maxium off £3K per claim, now lets say you engine needs replacing costing £3.5K youll pay the extra £500. providing you car is worth over the £3K mark.

now lets say your car is £1,500, then although you got a single claim limit off £3K, there only pay you book price for the car, meaning you'd have to £2K to get the car fixed.

now lets say the cars worth £4K you have too repairs 1 costing £3.5K and another costing £1K. you'll be able to claim the £3K from the 1st and the full £1K from the second, but cuz you total claims hit the £4 car value, thats it the end off the policy.

just something to look for, and bear in mind when looking for cover. some policies are unlimited number off claims, and cost a few more £££

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
or forgot to mention if you pay £10 on here to go gold meg runs a discounted policy for members. details will be in the discounted section. should save you afew pennies, plus there cover looks very good.

up to you tho off corse

·
I Love Diesel
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes the water pump and head gasket would be covered.

yes russdaz, you are right about them only paying out up to the value of the car. and seeing as i am looking at sub £1500 cars (and they will probably value them at much less) there would be no point in buying a £3000 limit policy. but at least a £1000 one would pay something towards the head gaskets, which is the thing i'm worried about most.

how much is it to have the head gaskets fixed again?

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
no idea on the v6, i know a few times it can be the end off the engine, but the k-series engines (rover) usually around £600-1200 depending on damage caused.

fit a metal water pump, sould be a good investment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts