Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum. I have a 2000 W reg ST24, it's done 50k or so miles and full service history.
The car is excellent, only had one problem where it wouldn't start as I flooded the engine by mistake, other than that its a superb car to drive.

I was recomending the car to someone else, when they piped up and said not to buy one, the engines are rubbish and have a design fault. Apparantly the problem is with the flywheel and it losing teeth.
He also went on to say that Ford have run out of new engines, so if one does blow Ford cannot replace it and you can't find a recon engine.

I thought this was a load of pony, but as I've only owned mine since Sept 05, I don't know that much about them. I'm sure Ford used the V6 engine from the ST25 in other Mondeos and if there really was such a design fault, I would have read about it in one of the reviews, before I bought the car.

Thanks for reading
Neil

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
The flywheel is fine, I have never heard of that problem.

It's the head gasket you want to watch out for, but as long as you replace the waterpump with the metal version rather than the plastic one then you will be fine :)

·
Petrol Lover - Price Hater
1,147 Posts
If it's as rubbish as your friend says then why is the same engine, with some minor tweaks, still used in the Mondeo now. Oh and the Jaguar X and S Types, with a few Jaguar mods on the inlet and timing side? ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He said it was a friends car and that it spent 4 months in the garage and it was the Ford Dealer that told him all this.

I'll check through my service books and see what the previous owner has had done, it was his company car, so it should all be up to date.

·
The Saabnessness is mine!
2,893 Posts
Agree with everyone else. Water pump is the main issue with the V6, if it goes, the heads go, ergo - the engine goes.

Never heard of any other persistent issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts