Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic recently told me that I had the wrong coolant in my V6, I currently have blue coolant, which is the norm for most cars, but apparently I need to have RED coolant in my car. I would just like to point out that the reason my car HAS blue coolant in it is becuase that's how I got it from the second-hand car dealer... ANYWHO'S...

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the two types of coolants is?

P.S. I have had the cooling system flushed and had the red coolant put in now.

P.P.S My mechanic is someone I have known for YEARS, so I know he's not messing me about...

·
MEG Corporal
2,858 Posts
Without looking and off the top of my head, the red coolant lasts longer, I think it's at least 5 years, whereas the blue only lasts about 2 years.

There's probably something else, but I cannot remember.

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
I don't think it makes the blindest bit of difference, apart from the red lasting longer as said above. The temp range it does may be slightly different maybe, but not enough to be a problem here.

The early mk2 v6's had blue coolant anyway, only the later ones had red I think.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
what i would want to know is whether it has ethylene glycol based fluid or methanol based fluid in it , you want ethylene based fluid not methanal , mind you i am not sure if you can still get methanol based fluid nowadays :crazy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.