Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv a late 2000 ghia x.

Starting problem (electrical im sure), the battery is flat, but i can jump start it. i charge the dead battery for 5mins, remove jump leads and the engine runs for several minute before it gets alittle rough and then dies. Needs jump started again to get going.

When i try and turn over engine with key, i get ticking noise from starter motor, but no engine turn over at all.

I thought starter motor gone but that wouldnt cause it to cut out again after a jump start.

Three problems i definately have are 'Fuse 30' Heater blower/instrument panel illumination fuse keeps blowing (with correct amp), maybe linked my SATC heater control dials dont work and my Dipped beam headlights dont work, only flickering on inital switch turn on.

Any thoughts?

Do relays die and need replacing and how do you know?

·
Retired
2,480 Posts
For start off, I would start it up and put as volt meter accross the battery. You should get a reading of around 14V. Anything less I would suspect the alternator.

As to the blowing fuses, no idea.

·
Love my cheap to run Mondy's
658 Posts
Well, setting aside the blowing fuse issue, I think you almost certainly have a duff battery or a duff charging system (alternator).

Think you should have the battery checked initially, and if that can be fully recharged (and hold the charge), then the problem must be in the charging circuit.

This is the time of the year when batteries which are only just holding their own in the warmer weather, just can't hack it any more. I hope the battery is your problem, coz it's reasonably cheap and very easy to sort, whereas the alternator is a real hassle to get to on these cars.

Best of luck, and do let us know!!!

·
Love my cheap to run Mondy's
658 Posts
Your inoperative dipped headlights are probably down to the lightswitch itself. I had exactly the same problem...very poor, burnt contact on the switch. Bought a new switch, then learned it was the connector that plugs into the switch that was burnt. Cleaned the contact and bent it out a bit and it's been ok now for a year and a half. (Touch wood).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have changed the battery and it started no problem, then ran the car home from were it broke down.

I was giving my girlfriend a lift to work this morning and i noticed the heater switched off and i thnk the headlight may have gone off too. so i suspected the same again, car was only running on charge that was already in the battery and turn the car home to use my other car.

If the battery isnt charging then fingers tend to point at the alternator. how is the tested? and with wont tool, voltmeter? were can i buy one that will test 12v

·
MEG's resident oven
11,381 Posts
there should be a light come on on your dash, the battery light, if the alt isnt working. does it come on when you start the car then go out? like in test mode? but it may still be the alt thats the problem!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.