Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
716 Posts
I was issued with a Dell Latitude 110L by work (base model the mean buggers) which has rendered my old Compaq presario 1277 not needed. It is about 5 or 6 years old with a 13.1 inch screen, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, modem, 400Mhz CPU and 64MB Ram (4 of which is used for video) and a 4.5GB HDD. It has Windows 98SE, MS Works, MS Office 2000 installed and there are genuine legal CD-Roms for all this. It also has a nice leather carrying case and original manual.

The downside is the battey is dead, so it will only run when plugged in, and also the little battery that maintains the date when the PC is off needs replaced. Everything else is pristine and the HDD checks out as healthy etc.

Any one any ide of how much I could sell this lot for. It is not upto Win XP due to memory (although an extra 256MB could be added for £25) and if wanted new batteries are still available for £50.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
note much more than £100 IMO,companies i deal with sell much etter spec ones than that off to employees for £100. You can get a decent brand spanking new laptop for £350 now!

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I had considered £100 as asking price (but willing to drop). My Dell cost £448 including a bag. The £350 are rather nasty, good enough spec but cheaply constructed. The old Presario is a dinosaur in terms of spec but it is robustly built and has survived travelling over much of the civilised world with me. Not sure the Dell will do so well, it feels rather more plasticy to me than the Compaq.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
In its current form that laptop would run W2K and would be OK for general surfing and typing the odd letter - but nothing more really. Adding more memory would make it a bit quicker but to be honest I think you are looking at closer to £50 for it.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Of course the £350 ones aren't going to feel/look like a £800+ laptop but they do the job perfectly well. Personally i wouldn't touch Dell when it comes to laptops.

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote name=Daves V6]Of course the £350 ones aren't going to feel/look like a £800+ laptop but they do the job perfectly well. Personally i wouldn't touch Dell when it comes to laptops.[/quote]

I had no choice, it is dell my employer has a contract with. The Compaq is my personal property.

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DavePage said:
In its current form that laptop would run W2K and would be OK for general surfing and typing the odd letter - but nothing more really. Adding more memory would make it a bit quicker but to be honest I think you are looking at closer to £50 for it.
It actually runs Win XP perfectly well with the extra memory (have seen another 1277 with 192MB running XP). It will not run 2000, I tried this and there were too many hard ware issues. These are not a problem with XPs better support for hardware.

I agree on £50, but if I advertise it will be £100 ono so that I have room to drop. If I advertise it at £50, I will end up giving it away.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
min spec for windows xp is a 500mhz processor and 128mb ram although saying that ive had windows xp with basics just for surfing running on a 233mhz with 128mb ram. this was a while ago now and service packs etc have come out which slow down a pc unless youve bought a newish one which will obviously beable to cope.

imo for xp to run stable on it it would need to be fully updated but doing so will make it strugle i would stick to win 2k on it.

·
Banned
716 Posts
totalguy said:
min spec for windows xp is a 500mhz processor and 128mb ram although saying that ive had windows xp with basics just for surfing running on a 233mhz with 128mb ram. this was a while ago now and service packs etc have come out which slow down a pc unless youve bought a newish one which will obviously beable to cope.

imo for xp to run stable on it it would need to be fully updated but doing so will make it strugle i would stick to win 2k on it.
Have seen XP on quite a few 400MHz machine and it is Ok if there is plenty of memory. TBH I have seen it working better on a PII 350MHZ with 256MB ram than on a PIII-700Mhz with 128MB Ram. I am not really suggesting this laptop is upto XP, but it will run Windows ME to give the better USB support (and I can throw in a legal copy of that). Windows 2000 would run with that memory and processor, however when you try and install it, it comes up with a list of hardware compatibility issues the length of your arm. ME and XP both install no problems.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
i see what you mean then, ive run xp on a p3 550 and a 733 wasnt bad at all but i wouldnt use ME its worse than 98 for crashing in some cases

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
totalguy said:
i see what you mean then, ive run xp on a p3 550 and a 733 wasnt bad at all but i wouldnt use ME its worse than 98 for crashing in some cases
Yes I know, that is why it is on the CD-Rom and not the HDD ;) . The only problem with 98SE is you need drivers for memory sticks, card readers etc, which is a pain.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
never used drivers for a memory stick :loopy: cant say much for card readers only used them on xp

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For 98SE you need a driver for a USB memory drive. For example if I connect my Disgo pen to the Compaq, it recognises that a device is connected, but then starts to search for a driver. This is universal for Windows 98SE. Any USB memory drive, flash card reader I have seen always (so far anyhow) comes with a CD that you need for Windows 98 but not 2000, XP etc.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
oh a memory drive i thought you meant the memory in the pc!!

yeah know about that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts