Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle is a 56 reg Mondeo TDCi 130 6 speed, 92k miles.

It developed the classic noisy DMF and trashed the starter, so I had the starter replaced and on recommendation I had a new SMF kit fitted, comprising Clutch, SMF and CSC from National.

I immediately had issues with noise and vibration which seemed to come from the clutch area, but only occurred whilst accelerating through the gears and only between 1500 and 2000 RPM.

The work was checked by the mechanic who could find no obvious cause, other than a possible faulty replacement flywheel, so everything was checked and a second kit was installed, same make, National.

Result - exactly the same as before, bad vibration between 1500-2000 RPM, most noticeble when accelerating from 30 mph in 4th gear when the vibration gets quite bad, but goes away when the revs get to 2000+.

Has anyone else had the same kit fitted and had a similar experience?

I am reverting back to a DMF but I am worried now in case I still get the same problem.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I fitted a SMF (which I think was from national Clutch centre in Preston) to my wifes Tdci. It is hard to tell the difference from the DMF that was previously fitted.
It still has the usual Mondeo Tdci roughness in high gears below 1500 rpm, i.e. it doesn't like being in 4th untill about 35mph and 5th untill about 45mph.
Its done about 40,000 miles with no problems.

Your vibration could be caused by inner CV joint wear, usually the drives side one. The spider of the CV joint wears slight indents into the outer of the CV pot. So long as the alignment remians the same place the wear os not a problem. But When the gearbox is removed, it doesn't always go back in exactly the same place. The spider now runs 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the worn part, the spider cant slide properly so it pushes the engine and gearbox causing the vibration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary, I will certainly have the CV joint checked out.

Would that account for only feeling the vibration between 1500-2000 RPM?

It just feels like a rotational harmonics issue, in the lower gears it is less pronounced and I can mitigate the severity by being very gentle with the throttle as I go up through the gears in that RPM range.

Damn annoying having to drive like this but I cannot have the DMF fitted until next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Gary, I will certainly have the CV joint checked out.

Would that account for only feeling the vibration between 1500-2000 RPM?

It just feels like a rotational harmonics issue, in the lower gears it is less pronounced and I can mitigate the severity by being very gentle with the throttle as I go up through the gears in that RPM range.

Damn annoying having to drive like this but I cannot have the DMF fitted until next week.
Hi, did you get to the bottom of this problem? I’m having the exact same with mine 😔 not sore weather to reverse to dmf
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Its been commented on a lot. Some people took the flywheel out again and refitted the correct DMF.

I suspect a balance issue the crank pulley is balanced for the heavy DMF. fitting a lighter flywheel
upsets it.

You could try getting the crank/flywheel/pulley balanced but that involves an engine stripdown. I
would refit a DMF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts