Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all .. Can anyone tell me if the area around the spark plugs has a natural drainage hole ? ( 2litre silvertop ) reason i ask is i did a bit of engine cleaning 3 days ago and used a watering can instead of a hose so as not to get too much water splashed around but i did end up with a large puddle of water where the plug leads enter the top of the engine which was quickly mopped up and the car has been running fine "except a small misfire at higher revs so today i took the plug leads off and found that area around the plugs filled with water to the level of the top of the spark plugs :shocked: and the thing was still driving and starting ok BUT i just think if there isnt a natural drainage point ( or plug u can remove ) then this is very poor design on fords part .. anyway after syphoning it out and drying it all off the cars back to A1 again :) :L

·
I Love Diesel
2,172 Posts
no, theres nowhere for the water to drain. if you get water in the plug wells its going to stay there! my spark plugs were rusted in when i got my car for this reason. the seals on the leads are supposed to keep water out, but theyre not that watertight really.

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that .. talk about a crap design lol and as regards the seals they are a waste of space .. i didnt think any would have got in there but as i said above it was full .. at least i have WD40'd it now around the plugs etc so hopefully no rust .. thanks for the reply though ( mental note to keep an eye on water levels lol )

·
I Love Diesel
2,172 Posts
yeah crap design. my plug wells were so cruddy i had to fill them with wd40 and brush around with a small paintbrush, then soak up with a rag, before i dared try and take the plugs out. and its not as though theres much space in there to work with. :headshake:

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kona said:
I used a small spray pump and took the bottle off and used the pump to remove the water out of mine.
Good idea .. save me getting a mouthfull of dirty water next time instead of syphoning it out :L

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
Hang on!

Im studying Design and Technology - and since when was a Ford Mondeo engine supposed to be sprayed with water?!?

Why on earth would any designer build-in a drainage hole, just in case the owner takes the garden hose to the engine bay?!? :headshake: :headshake:

·
Registered
0 Posts
my sentiments exectly :doh:

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
James_McHattie said:
Hang on!

Im studying Design and Technology - and since when was a Ford Mondeo engine supposed to be sprayed with water?!?

Why on earth would any designer build-in a drainage hole, just in case the owner takes the garden hose to the engine bay?!? :headshake: :headshake:
Its not a matter of spraying water around the engine bay its a matter of water that will be pushed through the front of the car and build up in that particular area in bad weather such as driving along a motorway in really bad weather there will always be a lot of spray hitting the front of the engine and this is just a natural water trap that is crap in design which could very easily be avoided and if you read what i wrote there was NO garden hose used :thankyousign:

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
James_McHattie said:
Hang on!

The hosepipe/watering can treatment may have been needed as the designers must have forgot about mud guards at the bottom of the engine bay, they have on my mondy anyway.

I have to clean the top cover on my mk3 engine (remove it from the engine bay first) every other week at the minute as nearly everytime i go out when its wet my engine bay gets very :BEEP: mucky ( at the front near the grill i could understand - near the exhaust at the rear of the engine bay is too much ) all the cooling pipework and exhaust manifold heatshield is still covered but i am just too cowardly to attack it with a pressure washer.

Mines just a standard engine bay and the muck pee's me off big time, i can only imagine what people with all the bling in there engine bay have to do to keep the engine bay clean. :L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
odd , mine stays very clean under the bonnet , mind you i went mad at the weekend with a can of interior dashboard spray on the plastics and boy do they shine up :D

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
mine might still be mucky from my last trip out, will get a piccy of it if it is ( exhaust should still be anyway )

i know some of it comes in from the grill at the front but the much on the rear means its coming from elsware too as there is none in the middle of the cover :L

1 - 12 of 12 Posts