Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a '99 mk2 with a rainwater leak in the drivers footwell but I cannot find the source. Its not the rear light clusters as I've already sorted that and I'm convinced its not through the door as none of the carpet on any of the edges is damp. My guess its its coming from somewhere on the bulkhead and then running down under the carpet rather than dripping (other wise I'd see a patch right?). Can anybody point me to what might be the problem? Its definitely only rainwater.

If not can you please tell me areas I mustn't silicone around the windscreen gutter (intended drainage holes etc or anything else that might cause other problems) as I need to stop this before the carpet gets ruined and starts to smell....

Thanks in advance.

Also how can I search for other related posts? The search button at the top never returns any posts?

·
I Love Diesel
2,172 Posts
are you sure it isnt coming in through the door, because mine was doing exactly the same thing and the carpet near the door didnt feel wet. the big clue was the mini pool of water lying on top of the weather seal (near where it curves up) after it had rained. eventually i noticed the TINY trickle of water running down the plastic sill cover when i was in the car and it was raining. enough to make a small swimming pool after a few hours tho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'll have another look at the door if others have had the same problem. How did you fix your leaking door? I've seen posts about mk3 where the seal for the door card leaks is this the same for the mk2? Actaully just noticed the mirez site has a guide for leaking doors is this what you followed?

As for the pollen filter is this not on the passenger side? There is no water at all in the passenger side footwell. Is it possible that water could get in through the pollen seal and run down to the drivers side?

Thanks again. I'll probably do all the fixes and see what the verdict is.

·
I Love Diesel
2,172 Posts
on mine the water was getting into the door through the weather strip near the door mirror. then dripping down onto the inner door water shield, and then through a small hole in the sticky sealing strip at the bottom into the car. this happens with the mk3 also i believe.

you can re-seal the sticky strip by heating it with a hairdrier and re-shaping it. this worked for me and the car is bone dry now.

you need to check the other possible sources of the leak of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts