Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The water temp gauge on my mk2 2.0 does not go past the 'N' of ' Normal' in everyday driving. I thought this may be due to the thermostat sticking open, but I have noticed some more erratic behaviour that makes me think otherwise. Whenever I am in traffic, or idling, the water temp gauge slowly creeps up past the halfway point. Today, after 5 minutes at idle, it went up to the 'L' - so I took it for a drive and the needle soon dropped back below the 'N'. I let it idle again and this time it went round to the 'L' again. However, I switched on the air con for a few seconds and the gauge dropped back to dead centre (around the 'M') where it remained until I switched the engine off.

Is this simply a thermostat issue ?, even though it seems to kick out warm air after a few minutes from starting in the morning.

Does it harm the engine if it appears to be running cold ? and why does the water temp spike up at idle ?

·
Love my cheap to run Mondy's
658 Posts
The thermostats and temperature sender units on these cars do not seem to be particularly reliable. I suggest you change them both at the same time. The sender for the guage is, by the way, the less accessible one at the bottom of the thermostat housing! Don't overtighten it mind, or you will break the housing like I did, then have to go to the scrapyards for another one...and it's cold and wintry now!

·
Still waiting to Wii
2,710 Posts
defo t-stat issue, and your overheating issue at idle has to do with the ECM not turning on the fan(most liekly temp sensor for ECM), but turning on the AC automatically turns on the fan. You have 2 separate issues here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.