Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Conversmod & Powermod UK Install & Support
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a really weird problem on my mk.1 mondy, that is getting worse!

When i go round a roundabout, or even turn right, there is an increasingly loud noise and vibration through the front wheel! I can feel it through the pedals and can hear it as well. My first thought is the wheel bearing, but normally these howl when the weight is on them, not off them! Also, the noise doesn't change when I apply the brakes either - normally if a bearing is on it's way out, the noise subsides when the brake is applied. The car passed the MOT last friday, so I am doubting it being the bearing. The wishbones have just been replaced as well, so it can't be them, and the anti-roll bar bushes are in good nick, and the roll bar isn't moving from side to side either

I don't particularly want to frag about replacing the wheel bearing if that doesn't cure it - anybody any ideas??

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
Might sound obvious, but are your wheel nuts upto torque? And are your wheel trims in good nick?

·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I already checked that. There's no play in the wheel either. And when i jack up the car to check it, I can't hear anything, even with the wheel turned on either lock. Its really weird, but is definitely getting worse after my 600 mile trip to Norwich this weekend... :(

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hmmm, would indicate a bearing, but CV?? I had a similar problem and it was the driveshaft spline in the CV was knackered.. The noise was the shaft moving in the CV !!!!!

·
1,312 Posts
I replaced the CV joint a while back cos it was clicking on full lock. It seems to be in good enough condition - i checked it tonight. I might try visiting my friendly local scrappie and source once to try that first - anyone got any advice about getting the hub off the knucle easily? I've got a hub/bearing puller, but it needs summat to screw onto to force it back - don't think a hole will do it :whistling:

·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Offside - drivers side - front

1 - 7 of 7 Posts