Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I am the owner of a wee Yellow 2007 ford Ka. Picked this up in 2017 and it has done me well the last few years, passing MOT's with little problem. This year however It failed on one major

" Vehicle Structure Corroded to the extent that rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced Offside Rear Inner Arch "

The car is generally quite good in terms of rust, somebody in the past had taken time to prevent rust in most the usual KA areas.

The rust in question here seems to have started behind the rar wheel where a clip atached to the arch holds the plastic bumper on, this hud broke leaving a hole in the arch where water etc must huv passed through corroding the very end of of the chasis that holds a back box exhaust rubber. I had a feel around this area and the rust damage is pretty centralized with the surrounding area an inch or 2 away all being solid with no rust

it would be much appreciated if somebody could tell me what kind of welding this will take and is it likely to be expensive, Iv done most work on this car my self but must admit I know absolutely nothing about welding or how its priced.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,809 Posts
What type of welding, usually the expensive type.

The trouble with rust is that the small spot you usually can see is often

a very small iceberg of what you cannot see.

Did a Fiesta some years back, guy said a small hole the MOT guy just poked his

finger through. Wire brush in the drill and most of the passenger floor fell out.

It needed quite a large repair panel to make it all good again.

Cost will depend on whether you want a quick repair that will get it through the MOT

for a year or two or whether you want a proper repair that will last many years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of welding, usually the expensive type.

The trouble with rust is that the small spot you usually can see is often

a very small iceberg of what you cannot see.

Did a Fiesta some years back, guy said a small hole the MOT guy just poked his

finger through. Wire brush in the drill and most of the passenger floor fell out.

It needed quite a large repair panel to make it all good again.

Cost will depend on whether you want a quick repair that will get it through the MOT

for a year or two or whether you want a proper repair that will last many years.
Cheers for the reply

Yea from what I have investigated, this seems very centralized, Im just kind of curious how this work would need done is it a case of shaping some similar metal to the shape of the chassis, or cutting an un-rusted section from another Ka and welding it in

And I bought this at the start oh 2017 never expected it to get past a second MOT so if I can get it past this one It very much will only be its last year, the want to get it through is the fact the rest of the car is pretty flawless for its age and being a Ka, as the past few MOT doods have told me, No idea what caused such bad corrosion on this one area in comparison with the other side or a few inches away from it.

So I guess I am looking for a cheap repair to get it through the MOT

·
Mondeo Lover
832 Posts
basically if you only want a cheap repair then you can get someone to just plate it all up covering that corrosion, it wouldnt last long, maybe a year or two but it will be cheap, theres no telling really how cheap or how expensive because we dont know who you know or what your garage prices are like, but just putting plates over it all will be a lot less than someone cutting out entire sections to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
basically if you only want a cheap repair then you can get someone to just plate it all up covering that corrosion, it wouldnt last long, maybe a year or two but it will be cheap, theres no telling really how cheap or how expensive because we dont know who you know or what your garage prices are like, but just putting plates over it all will be a lot less than someone cutting out entire sections to replace.
Cheers for the info mate. do you reckon basic plating up will pass the mot

Been looking into this a bit more and on my MOT sheet the failure code (6.1.1 (c) (I) reads vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced, offside rear inner (arch)

Am I correct in assuming this is referring only to this hole in the arch.. and not the corroded section behind it

·
Super Moderator
29,809 Posts
They can plate over the hole and nobody will see the damage behind it. If the tester

cannot see it then he cannot fail it.

Thats why i mentioned that the rust you can see is just the tip of the iceberg, there will

often be a lot more rust that you cannot see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.