Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I own a 2003 Ford Mondeo which is in need of new front brake dics and pads. Im deciding between mintex and Ford genuine set of pads and discs. Not being from UK set of mintex discs and pads would be around £100 with shipping. After some searching on ebay i found genuine brakes and pads from Ford for £100 with shipping.

Because this is my first Ford that i've owned, i am asking u guys for help. Which one should i choose? I see that genuine ones are made by some company named MOTORCRAFT. Do they look like the genuine ford discs and pads do?

Help would be much appreciated.

Links to mentioned sets of brakes and pads

MINTEX: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-MINTEX-FRONT-BRAKE-DISCS-AND-PADS-ALL-MODELS-HATCH-ESTATE-SALOON-/251372902467?hash=item3a86fe1843

GENUINE FORD: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Brake-Disc-Pads-Front-Ford-Mondeo-Mk3-1681578-1783849-/161468016996?hash=item25983e6964

Thanks to everyone willing to help. :)

·
Clever Clauggs
4,454 Posts
Motorcraft is what Ford use as original genuine parts, i would prefer Motorcraft over Mintex if they are genuine on Ebay

·
Click4 - What will you Click4 today?
1,481 Posts
Motorcraft is what Ford use as original genuine parts, i would prefer Motorcraft over Mintex if they are genuine on Ebay
No they don't always.

I just fitted some genuine pads on a focus, ecat lists ford pads and motorcraft pads.

Motorcraft ones are listed as not for warranty purposes and cheaper in price.

Also upon comparing them side by side the motorcraft ones have a different friction material.. Ford ones felt like they are more grippy.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,454 Posts
So what are genuine OEM DISCS/PADS from factory ? I've not fitted genuine discs before mainly due to the cost but have used Mintex because they were cheaper but got brake judder from the front after about 4000 miles which i diagnosed by refitting the old original discs and now have a pair of Brembo discs without any problems after 3years use.

·
1,481 Posts
Factory ones will of been branded as ford pads usually not motorcraft.

Who makes them depends on each vehicle like on the focus most likely ATE but there are no identifying marks on them.

Reason I came to find out was, I've had my focus since it was 7800miles

And I was always impressed how sharp the brakes was.

I then put some aftermarket pads in it... And while they was still sharp; stopped fine... They just seemed to loose their edge over the original ford pads.

Then the other week I had to do some discs and pads for a customer on a focus also, same as mine... Having learnt my lesson with mine that the aftermarket ones (while fine, just didn't have that sharpness the original pads had) I phoned up and asked for ford pads to be sent down.

They sent me out some motorcraft ones.

So I had a look on ECAT and it listed Motorcraft, with a note (not for warranty purposes) and ford pads separately as 2 separate parts.

So I sent back the motorcraft ones and had them deliver me some ford branded ones. Which was actually another £20 more than the Motorcraft ones so not cheap at all! Around £50 for front pads.

But having the motorcraft pads ingrained in my memory I had a look at the ford branded ones and immediately the difference was visible... Not only when you run your finger access the friction material it was certainly rougher feeling... But the ford pads also had what looked like more flecs of gold coloured material, maybe brass? I don't know, embedded in the pad material than the motorcraft ones had.. It was a very noticeable difference and it answered to me why the aftermarket pads had lost that sharpness I remembered the car originally having on the brakes.

So basically seems like ford sell their original ford pads which are factory fit, and a cheaper aftermarket quality which they brand up we motorcraft... But they have a clear note on ECAT that motorcraft isn't to be used for warranty purposes in that instance and the £20 price difference also puts that version firmly in the aftermarket quality. It's just a ford approved alternative.

On disc front, ford tend to use ATE discs. Hard to find though as aftermarket.

Beware Pagid, I still use them discs for unvented discs, but I found quality has certainly gone down.

That was noticeable when I took a set of 8 year old Pagid vented discs off a vehicle a while back and replaced them with what I thought was an identical set of Pagid discs... Difference was, ones I took off was balanced, ones I put on wasn't... So at some point they stopped balancing the discs to save money and cheapen up which makes me question what else has been cheapened up on.

But ATE, Zimmerman, Textar, Bosch, Brembo, TRW are fine.

Textar is same make as Pagid and Mintex... But Textar is their premium high end range, Pagid mid range which is sold exclusively by euro car parts in the UK, think they licensed the brand in the UK... Then below that is eicher and Mintex. Eicher not being a tmd friction brand but made by tmd friction for euro car parts.

·
1,481 Posts
Thinking back i think i had Bosch pads on ,definately Bosch on the back brakes.
Rear callipers are Bosch if I can remember that's why :) they usually use the same make as the callipers because it's that manufacturer who develops the braking system for ford and as a result don't tend to use competitors pads. It's the discs though which are sometimes different but they don't have a baring so much on how the brakes operate in terms of efficiency other than the obvious venting... Often they are again same make as the calipers but not always.

So if you want as near to ford part. Best to source the same pads make as the calipers and you will be on th right track for OE.

So Bosch callipers with Bosch pads, TRW callipers with TRW pads, ATE callipers with ate pads. Although although you will struggle to find the same make because either places don't stock then or manufacturers have an exclusive agreement... Like I always find it hard to find ATE stuff when I need it.

However there are sometimes still differences between genuine and aftermarket pad from same manufacturer. A TRW pad in a VW box for example is not the same as a Pad in a TRW box...I found that a while back, removed some TRW pads from a Passat with VW Audi logo on... Sourced some TRW pads, but difference was genuine original pad had a 45 degree cut in its surface to disperse brake dust... The pattern equivalent didn't... But having same make will be about as close as you can get in terms of friction material and quality.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all responses and advices. So if i go for ATE, BREMBO or even MINTEX it will be okay?

I found set of front BREMBO discs and pads for £116 and set of front ATE discs and pads for £92. Which one would u guys recommend and is it worth paying extra for BREMBO set? Do ATE discs and pads compare to mintex ones or are they even better?

Thank you all again in advance. Im a newbie when it comes to FORD parts and i need as much help as i can get.

·
1,481 Posts
Looking on eBay the ATE discs are balanced (have a slot cut out on edge)

ATE are also OEM for ford as they are used on the MK2 Focus.

ATE pads are also fine as they are OEM. If you want nearer OE then you need Bosch Pads but the ATE pads are fine.

Mintex aren't OE for any manufacturer, they are an aftermarket pad.

Brembo is also fine but can't see any evidence that particular disc is balanced on the mondeo which tips it in favour of ATE, also Brembo isn't a ford OE manufacturer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much. So i will get ATE discs with ATE pads.

Isnt it best to fit ATE pads with ATE discs, or that doesnt really matter and i can fit ATE discs with BOSCH pads?

Right now i have pads and discs from some german manufacturer called SWAG and after 2000 miles my steering wheel started vibrating and shaking at braking.

I really hope ate discs wont do that :)

Thanks to everyone helping me with this.

·
1,481 Posts
Thank you very much. So i will get ATE discs with ATE pads.

Isnt it best to fit ATE pads with ATE discs, or that doesnt really matter and i can fit ATE discs with BOSCH pads?

Right now i have pads and discs from some german manufacturer called SWAG and after 2000 miles my steering wheel started vibrating and shaking at braking.

I really hope ate discs wont do that :)

Thanks to everyone helping me with this.
Don't have to be same pads and discs, even ford don't always fit same brand, often they do, but only because if it's bosch, or ate who developed the braking system of course they will use their own parts.

But most common is same brand pads with calipers. Rather than same discs.

Reason being pads do effect braking performance, disks don't don't so much as long as they are good quality and dissipate heat properly. Biggest problem between brands is metal quality, some warp easily and others don't and some are balanced and others aren't... None of which really effect braking efficiency just how durable the disc is.

But ATE is a ford OE brand, and perfectly fine, but originally would of been Bosch pads, but as mentioned Bosch after markets will only be a near enough match not necessarily an exact match anyway unless it come from dealer. But most likely the nearest match to OE than most other brands.

So ATe pads and discs if you can get a good deal on them should be fine :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I fit Apec brand to customer vehicles including my own ford and on a high performance vehicle we own.
Never had any issues to date.
Avoid buying brakes on eBay as many sell fakes and replicas.
Buy from local motor factors it may cost a few quid more but it will pay for itself in the event of a emergency stop and last longer without problems.
There is also no problem in having different brand of pads to discs fitted.

·
1,481 Posts
APEC are hard as anything and have a reputation as taxi pads because they last forever and disk ends up scored up before the pad wears out.

Never rated them personally, if they was any good then why don't any OE manufacturers use them on brand new cars?

They seem to be on par with EICHER and garages love them because they are value pads which allows them to stay competitive with pricing and have a decent profit on the parts which they wouldn't get with top end pads.

They are safe and fine because they meet the braking regulation 90 so not dangerous, but remain a value pad.

But there are better, and usually can't go wrong by sticking to OE makes or OEM.

·
Registered
153 Posts
APEC are hard as anything and have a reputation as taxi pads because they last forever and disk ends up scored up before the pad wears out.

Never rated them personally, if they was any good then why don't any OE manufacturers use them on brand new cars?

They seem to be on par with EICHER and garages love them because they are value pads which allows them to stay competitive with pricing and have a decent profit on the parts which they wouldn't get with top end pads.

They are safe and fine because they meet the braking regulation 90 so not dangerous, but remain a value pad.

But there are better, and usually can't go wrong by sticking to OE makes or OEM.
Apec are not cheap by any means and ecp sell every other brand cheaper Inc bosch compared to Apec.
I fit Apec as part shop recommended them for reliability to me years ago and he sells every brand.
I don't like to do a job twice and have never had complaints.
I currently have Bosch on my mondeo and brake dust and disc score is what I do have.
I fitted bosch as ecp had them on the shelf on the day that I needed them but have Apecs in the boot waiting to be fitted this weekend.
I will try and upload a pic of bosch rear pads from ecp that had a run in of about 60 miles on a zafira and had to be removed and replaced due to poor compound with a chunk falling of they began squeeling.
As I said I fit them to my own personal vehicles and work perfectly well.
Everyone has their own preference.

·
1,481 Posts
I wouldn't go on Ecp prices vs motor factors, they buy on such a massive quantity they probably buy by the pallet load they have 2 national distribution centres, hub sites and branches.

With quantities like that more expensive parts will always be cheaper due to volume.

Those Bosch pads you experienced failing could of been anything, lip on disc if you aren't changing discs below minimum thickness, sticky calliper, defective pads due to manufacturing defect.

But they aren't a rubbish pad, otherwise manufacturers like ford and Mercedes wouldn't use Bosch out the factory and sell rebranded Bosch pads in dealerships.

Aside from mess brake dust isn't a bad thing because it means the pad is wearing down and biting down.

APEC brake pads are very hard pads which is why they don't produce much brake dust and don't wear as quickly but you can't have both excellent grip without pad wear.

And as above no car manufacturer uses APEC on new cars, that I'm aware?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys. I previously mentioned getting ATE discs and pads but they're out of stock. The ones that are in stock are DELPHI. Are they any good? Worth buying? Anyone had any experience with them?

·
1,481 Posts
Delphi are ok, don't tend to be an OE make though for brakes so much though, middle of the road brand like pagid. Should be ok but not had much experience with Delphi for brakes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts