Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this 'clicking' under the bonnet people speak of, my TD doesn't do it, definately doesn't cos I've checked since reading about it here. I have no issues though?? No smoke at all except from a cold start, then a bit of white for a few seconds.

Actually, now I mention it, I'm getting no smoke even if I drop a gear to accelerate quickly, I'd expect a bit of over fuelling at that point, maybe this explains why the car is a bit 'limp', I wonder if the pump or injectors need attention?? I did the fuel on boost mod and it perked it up (more so for taking off in 1st and 2nd though than anything else) and economy is bang on 10 miles per £ (not the greatest) so I would want to lose much more for extra performance. Oh yeah, and the top end is dreadful, there's nothing in this car past 80mph unless I'm downhill; any ideas? ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
The glow plug relay does click when it comes on then 10 secs (or so) later when it goes off. The more commonly spoke of clicking is the 8 clicks in rapid succession (more like a buzz) from the fuel pump (advance solenoid) when the ignition is turned on.

Have you had someone turn the ignition on when your bonnet is up and your head is near the fuel pump?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does click, I'm talikg bloody rubbish, sounds more 'relay' than solenoid so I agree with above, it being for the glow plugs rather than the advance solenoid.

Now, about my top-end, who's gonna shed some light on that then? :whistling:

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
is the airfilter clean ??? :whistling:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hmm, it's certainly not particlarly dirty, I've seen a lot worse. Can I run it without for a bit to check?

...."yeah you can klapped, and putting sugar in the diesel makes it go quicker too...."

Seriously, can I? :loopy:

Something is holding it back, what about the TPS? I get the 'feeling' that the throttle isn't all the way open, I checked and it is though, took up the slack which made it a bit perkier.

It's a bit crap cold, but it's great when it's warm, except this top-end, where it hasn't got one! :tongue: :headshake:

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
taske off the pipe going to the air box put a dishcloth over it one with lots of holes not like a cotton sheet or shirt tie it on that should be sufficient for testing if your worried about it taking in crap.

·
Registered
680 Posts
yeah mines slower when cold, but i dont rev it hard when cold anway -'cause it kills it!

Ive run without filter plenty of times in various cars, its fine temporeraly (im sure others may sayotherwise), long term it wears your piston rings (at a funny angle you can tell an engine that has been run for many miles with no filter), if you go through a deap puddle and suck up water it will die, but other than that is should be fine!

for that top end i sorted mine by: diesel filter, injector cleaner, cleaning the maf, cleaning the intercooler inside and out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Smithy, though I'm loathed to taking bits off these days, seems it can go 1 way or the other when you start playing around.

Besides, I dunno what the maf is, or where to even begin taking the intercooler off, lol. You can give me some direction if you like (I'm an engineer by trade, so only have a very small brain), is the MKI Haynes any use to me?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts