Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
installed a double din touch screen stereo and reverse camera, also wrapped the centre console with 6d carbon wrap, turned out not bad.

next job is instal my kenwood underseat subwoofer to give some extra bass.

(the stereo is a 7010b chinese job, its touchscreen, bluetooth and has reverse camera with it for £42 quid)

Attachments

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
haha yup, got plenty wrap left so they are on the list, they are pretty worn, think someone has painted them before and made a bit of a balls up of it.

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
a few days ago i fitted one of these.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7010B-7inch-Bluetooth-Car-Audio-Stereo-Touch-Screen-MP5-Player-w-HD-720P-Camera/272666956856?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160706104836%26meid%3Df8d2b88c3b1d4f93962939e8846bc540%26pid%3D100642%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100642.m3226

cheap and cheerfull and with the reverse cam, all works great with it and im impressed for something so cheap, but i wasnt happy with the bass it gives, so ive just installed one of these........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenwood-150-Watts-Compact-Active-Under-Seat-Shallow-Sub-Woofer-Amplifier-Bass-BN-/162598795100?epid=217168206&hash=item25dba4b75c:g:r2QAAOSwGvhT19Vs

this underseat sub is perfect size to fit under the passenger seat and you cant even see it when sitting on the rear seat, its completely transformed the bass from the cheap stereo, now it sounds like something youd expect from a much dearer branded stereo, and i can shake my rear view mirror if i turn it up enough :)

so for 150 quid all in im very happy :)

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
just finished replacing the glow plugs, have had them sitting for 2 years now still in their wrappers, always chickened out, but cars a bit lumpy and slight puff of smoke on cold mornings now so thought that i better do this before winter really comes in.

well... much to my surprise all 4 came out without any trouble, i soaked them in wd40 for 3 days prior, took it for a drive and got it to operating temp then got stuck in, phewww is all i can say, easy job but the nerves taking a rachet to them was unreal.

Reactions: raynkar

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
it started fine after id done it but like i said i got the car to normal operating temp before i started so there was still a good bit of heat in it, ill report back in the morning when its stood for a night.

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
well...... :eek13:

now its alot worse, its lumpy for around 20 seconds, smoke stays for around the same amount of time, much longer than with the old glow plugs in :(

so i got the multimeter out and tested the old ones, seems just 1 plug is high resistance, the other 3 are coming in at 0.02 ohms so i take it they are fine.

i shouldve tested the new plugs before i put them in :( so looks like ill be back at this when the weather clears, its raining today :(

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
Just check the big yellow 10amp fuse F8 in the fuse box next to the battery hasn't blown. 0.02ohms is a short circuit! They should be reading between 2 - 5 Ohms. Personally, I have a test lamp which I clip between negative and the nut where the glowplug feed wire connects. Then when I turn on the ignition I can see if the GP supply works... bulb stays lit for approx 30 seconds.
OOPS im an idiot, had the wrong setting on the multimeter......

so the old glow plugs test out at.... 1.4ohm, 1.4ohm, 1.2ohm and the last one doesnt register on the meter so means its higher than 200ohm, so 1 faulty glow plug

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
hit a massive pot hole now ive got a flat tyre :(

so tomorrow its getting booked in for 2 new front tyres, and then im gonna give it a full service, it deserves it after today.

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
changed fuel filter and air filter, was a bit wet to be removing undertray to do oil change, so that can wait till tuesday when ill do the oil and filter and the gearbox oil.

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
service complete!

runs like a dream again (although it did before the service too lol) got to love mondeos :)

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
think you jinxed me with your talk of aerials :( just went got the car washed and the guy managed to snap my stubby carbon aerial off, was cheap right enough but now i need to replace the actual base as the threaded part snapped clean off :( looks like i'll getting a couple of free washes

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
yeah its just the radio aerial i need, will get one from the scrappies and replace it, probably just keep a standard long aerial on it though, both the shorties ive tried have been rubbish reception.

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
put a new aerial on due to the car wash snapping my stubby one off, just a standard aerial. also put a new set of wipers on all round, the snow and ice the last couple of weeks had ruined the ones on it.

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
fitted this......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253066525719?clk_rvr_id=1504854011884&rmvSB=true

what a nightmare from start to finish, bumper bolts (3 of them at either side) rusted so badly i couldnt get any socket to fit them so had to try do it without bumper removal, so started taking front undertray off and 4 of the screws were so badly rusted i had to grind them off. once that was off got round to fitting the intercooler, had to trim the standard intercooler brackets to make it fit, then had to make up brackets that went upto the bonnet lock bolts to hold the intercooler up. felt like giving up a few times but its finally on and running good. car was already remapped and now it seems much quicker (could be placebo but i dont think it is)

now to tackle some rusty spots at the rear arches and small ones on the front.

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
i feel your pain, although im not at mot just yet, the state of the roads up here are a disgrace, my front passenger and rear passenger side shocks are both leaking oil so both need replaced and ive only just fitted a rear wheel bearing and 4 new tyres, its a costly business this mondeo game.

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
replaced a burst front shock, what a nightmare, drop link bolts had siezed up so had to get a mate to bring his grinder but by then it started raining heavy so i ended up soaked along with all my tools, while he was on his way i had a brain fart moment and realised i couldve just burned the nylon from the locknuts (why didnt i think of that earlier) so did that and got the drop link off. compressing those eibachs is a scary business though, one of my clamps popped off while doing it so it made me very nervous, managed in the end though. now its just a rear shock to change :(

·
Mondeo Lover
875 Posts
finally replaced the rear shock, i hate compressing those damn springs.

one of the top 10mm bolts holding the strut up into the arch had siezed solid and started rounding so had to get an irwin socket onto it and it came out with a bit of harsh language, other than that all the other bolts came out fine to my surprise.

next job sand down the rusty patches on rear arches, treat with kurust, prime then paint.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts