Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Replaced instrument panel bulbs - no more speeding tickets! (in theory)

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Changed the transmission fluid for the third time in a month to cure the stubborn shifting - now I have Castrol Syntrans FE 75W (WSS-M2C200-D2), things are how they should be!

The first time was WSD-M2C200-C as per Ford recommendation for MTX75 but it wasn't Ford or Castrol brand and it was still pretty stiff. Second time I mixed with some thinner stuff and made it worse then experimented further with thicker stuff, about the same.

I didn't expect for this Castrol stuff to fix the problem but I was wrong to doubt it...

The only head scratcher was around 2 L of fluid came out but could only put 1 L in - so I had to tilt the car up to fill 1.9L in... I did wait a bit before trying to fill more after no more than 1L would go in...

Anyway, I'm now almost completely happy with the car!

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
tried to clean up what became a sticky gunky mess that is a thin foam liner on the sunglassess holder...

it's even messier now but I'll have to use some chemical to melt it away and line it with something nice, maybe leather....

does anyone else get that?

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
tried to clean up what became a sticky gunky mess that is a thin foam liner on the sunglassess holder...
it's even messier now but I'll have to use some chemical to melt it away and line it with something nice, maybe leather....
I can't remember what the lining is, is it an open cell foam like a bathroom sponge or a closed cell foam like a camping/yoga/exercise mat?
I think it's open cell, medium density - almost ruined my sunglasses when I put it in there not knowing it's a sticky mess...

I wonder if it's the heat that's doing the damage - it's facing upwards and the cavity between the roof and the headlining can trap heat...

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Don't have a sunglass holder as I have an electric sunroof :) but do you have a sticky centre console /armrest? My old mondeo did it and although nothing like as bad, my current one has it to a degree, I don't know if its the surface breaking down or if it just dirt and to scrub it.
Bit nervous about scrubbing it incase I just take the surface off as cosmetically it looks normal and is only if you touch it you realise.
Yes! It's the only part of the interior I'm not happy about (well, except for a couple of spots of stain on the headlining but I can shampoo that out) It bothers me because I always rest my elbow unconsciously. Mine was really bad - the texture was almost smudged out and it was very sticky. I was going ask a trimmer mate to cover with leather but swapped out with a better one from a wreck in the end. It's still not perfect, it's a bit sticky when warm (I think it's not so bad I have tint on all the windows and have windscreen sunshade on all the time) I think upspec models have leather finished ones (I've come across a couple at the wreckers but they were pretty filthy (one was cream coloured so you can imagine how bad it looked)

My 2002 has sticky centre console armrest started about 4 yrs ago daren't scrub it just wipe over with a damp cloth need some black talc or powder of some sort to neutralise stickyness
I first scrubbed and it took the textured finish right off and made it worse - all patchy looking and stickier, which is why I had to get a second hand one.

I don't think it has anything on my old Citroen C5 though.

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
No mk3 Mondies had an actual leather armrest, the 'leather' front and rear arm rest covers were made from the same vinyl as the headrests and seat backs....
Ok I must have been mistaken - I stand corrected.

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
No mk3 Mondies had an actual leather armrest, the 'leather' front and rear arm rest covers were made from the same vinyl as the headrests and seat backs....
Ok I must have been mistaken - I stand corrected.
Not necessarily :)
The point I was making was that the ones described as leather are actually made of vinyl.
The majority of the leather interior was actually vinyl :)
Well, the vinyl "leather" still feels pretty good so it's all good :) - as long as it's not the '60s vinyl, which was pretty unbearable for most of the times...

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
The cream one was Ghia - it had full cream interior (is Camel the official colour description?) - seats, lid and the estate cargo cover... I had two cream colour leather interior cars (not Ford) they are extremely hard to keep clean, especially previous owners neglected looking after them.

I just looked up my cars rear arm rest.
It's listed as 'Verona grain leather' but is very much vinyl.
Is it better than textured plastic lid?

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Ever since the time I found out that a spare key would cost me approx GBP90 (would be more if I lost my one and only key), I've been thinking about sorting it out cheapskate way (paid GBP800 for the car, so you kind of get the idea why I was reluctant to shell out that amount.)

So I did some research and decided to leave the immobiliser transponder on the key barrel - and I got a spare key cut for GBP15 (no transponder) to open doors and start the engine.

i experimented where the transponder should be placed to be able to communicate with the antenna and came up with this and had 3D printed. Works quite well.

Before:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part

After:

Camera lens Camera accessory Automotive tire Reflex camera Cameras & optics

Attachments

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Speaking of immobiliser transponder, what are the odds of a random key from another car working?

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Speaking of immobiliser transponder, what are the odds of a random key from another car working?
Not quite sure what you mean, but the odds of someone else's key being able to unlock your doors either by the buttons on the key, or just being put in your door lock are not that low.

Luckily you are in a country where there aren't too many other mondies.
I meant someone else's key being able to start the engine but it's interesting you mention door lock/remote. How secure is Tibbe key compared to others?

Mondies are fairly common in NZ also - not as much so in UK though.

I do enjoy owning a popular car for a change, coming from a decade of Citroen ownership.

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
As you have bypassed the immobiliser anyone with a screwdriver would be able to start your car.
The weakness is with other Ford remotes being able to unlock your car rather than just the key physically fitting.

As with most keys, a brand new tibbe and lock and more secure than a well used and rounded off set.
It comes down to weighing up the cost-benefit of getting a proper spare key done.

It's no ST220 - a poverty pack Duratec with just under 300k km on the clock.

Sure I love the car for what it is but it's beyond me why anyone would steal it...

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
I'm not criticising, just stating the obvious :)
I have no idea how much a key would cost where you are. It would be £45 for me in the UK.
Yeah I know - if you double whatever it costs over there (for anything) you are around the ballpark. Unless it's PSA stuff, then you triple or quadruple....

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Hard-wired a dual dash cam (front + rear) today. Easy to install and a decent bit of kit for £50. :)
Where did you tap 12V from? Fusebox or are you running off cigarette lighter?

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Sold it!

Bought my 2.0 TDCI LX mk3 in 2008 at three years old with 57,000 miles on the clock for the bargain price of £4,300.

11 years later and 230,000 miles on it now it went for £475.

Best thing I ever bought.
Why did you sell it?

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Went to DIY wrecker for a couple of bits.

Rear right door lock actuator - got charged for both actuator AND door catch! But they are one integral unit. Was not too happy about that...

The other thing was stereo connector - 3 plugs go into the back of stereo but one branches out further up the centre dash panel, so rather than disassemble it and cut a single wiring loom which has 3 plugs, I cut two looms, so physically two pieces - got charged for two loom/plugs...

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
Put this mp3 aux-in player on:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32513763826.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.456f4c4dWmXm4r

Mine came with 6000CD single CD player and wanted to have more CDs loaded so "upgraded" to 6006E. However, it turned out to be not so much of an upgrade as I thought it would be.

I'm currently using a USB key, it's a bit finicky but once the files are set up right, it works well.

I'm fairly happy with it.

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32513763826.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.456f4c4dWmXm4r

Mine came with 6000CD single CD player and wanted to have more CDs loaded so "upgraded" to 6006E. However, it turned out to be not so much of an upgrade as I thought it would be.

I'm currently using a USB key, it's a bit finicky but once the files are set up right, it works well.
How long did that take to arrive?
The total time I had to wait was a month from the time I ordered - but the first one got returned to them at first for some reason then they re-sent it by China EMS (faster than standard delivery), which arrived in 10 days.

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts

How does this work? Plugged in to the back of the 6000CD head unit and the USB socket on the front? If a USB stick with music is inserted, how does one select the music files from the 6000CD controls?

It is some time since I have removed the HU, but is there space on the rear sockets to use this? Assume so.
It plugs into aux-in of 6000CD (CD changer connector, green in colour, I believe), on the back side. There is fair amount of room there.

There are three options of aux-in you can use - USB, SD card and 3.5mm aux-in. Apparently only one of three memory device should be connected at any one time. I tried USB and an mp3 player via 3.5mm cable. At first only some songs would play and I couldn't skip to previous or next songs. The vendor provided additional details (not in the manual) to avoid those issues when I asked. (I'll get into them in the next post).

Because 6000CD has only 6 buttons for preset, that's all you get in terms of the number of folders you are allowed to have in a storage device. And similarly the number of files is limited to two digits per folder, i.e. 99. So in theory, you get 6 x 99 = 594 tracks (if my maths is still good).

I haven't tried using a physical CD player at the same time, but I believe you cycle radio, CD player & aux-in by pressing CD / AM/FM buttons.

Controls seem to work all fine from steering stalk control as well as HU, just as you do with CD player.

I lengthened the cable by a few inches because I wanted to put the unit in the RH storage/coin holder - it was a bit of a fiddly job to me (not a big fan of electric/electronics and soldering) but it's not difficult.

·
Hiding under a Rock
848 Posts
This is the vendor's suggestion verbatim:

Supported memory cards and USB sticks:

1. Max 8GB (2GB is most recommended);SD card is more recommended than USB stick.

2. Imposed folder naming system: CD01, CD02, CD03 ....

3. Using music files formats other than WMA and MP3 may also cause intermittent performance.

4. Please format USB stick or SD card with FAT16 or FAT32 format before you save files and folders in USB/SD. Doesn't read sub-folder and gets confused with other names in root of the drive.

5. Supports up to 15 folders (depending on the radio type) on your USB/SD.

6. Any number of songs can be stored in each folder, but the display of most radio models can only screen 99 track titles; Saving too big file(over 50MB) in any folder may also cause intermittent performance

7. The playback order of songs is in line with their created date.

8. Sometimes,to remove defect on software of car audio system, you may need to disconnect the battery or remove the fuse to reset the car audio system.

9. To use the Aux-In port, it's necessary to remove the USB or SD card.

10. This device may does not work with some of new Kingston brand USB stick.

1 - 20 of 337 Posts