Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Mosquito
Mondeo MK 3 2.2 TDCI Ghia X
546 Posts
And I have reached that stage of life, that when kneeling down to do something on the car, I look around to see what else I could be doing while down there!
At least you have the capability of kneeling down !!!

I have learnt to have every conceivable bit of kit, tools at hand when kneeling on the ground cause to get up again is quite an effort
????????????

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
After.
attachicon.gif
E57B0B4F-751C-43A4-AC70-967EC756EBFF.jpeg

attachicon.gif
9692F7FA-AD12-4F2F-8683-AD253924BA1C.jpeg

attachicon.gif
7BA04846-032C-4688-9677-DA2F95823822.jpeg

The respray was done with Halfords Stardust silver, and with solution finish trim dye on the black parts.
The whole cover had been clear lacquered, or had some form of coating on it, so I had to clean up the entire area using cotton buds soaked in cellulose thinners. That was quite time consuming, especially around the 'Ford' script.
That's a new part, come on, tell the truth ????⚒????????

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
My door pulls are black but very scratched. How do you plan to fix them? They are 'sort of' heat welded to the door card and have a rubberised coating. Don't even know how to remove that coating.

Removing the door pulls would not be so difficult but fixing them back again, could be. Hot glue gun?
In the past I've chiselled off the flanges of the heat welded 'rivets' by using a wood chisel vertically on the flange.

To refit the door pull the remaining 'stalk' of the rivets can be heated forming a new flange, or just be fixed with two part epoxy glue.

When I refurbed black door pulls in the past I used Simoniz satin black 'tough paint' as that is designed for use on plastics, it also needs no primer or lacquer coat.

I couldn't get proper plastic paint in the correct red shade so will need to apply plastic primer and a matt lacquer coat.

Refurbed black door pulls.
attachicon.gif
6C9FF3AD-8D99-4D07-8BC5-D90CDA8B7635.jpeg
Raynkar

What lacquer do you use on plastic satin black paint ?

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
jack s

For another example of tough paint, this is gloss black. Again, no primer or lacquer coats.

attachicon.gif
B8A54CC2-3ADB-483A-B450-70926DFA7B6B.jpeg

As an add on, here is the info on the can. While the paint can be applied cover adhesion promoter, primer or plastic primer, it CAN'T be over coated with lacquer or other paint types.

attachicon.gif
569D7CC2-4837-42AC-B65C-E1B6BBF37351.jpeg
Thanks a lot Raynkar.

I've recently painted my front grills in plastic satin black and I will take your advice in getting a matt lacquer.

Best regards.

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
What I did today was the same as yesterday, the day before and going back many days !
Basically preparing and fitting an ST bumper that I bought second hand, to replace the one I have on my Ghia x.
Met the seller halfway, between our addresses, exchanged money and bumper and hardly had time to inspect.

After trying different methods of addressing all the broken fittings, I decided that I had to cannibalize my Ghia bumper for some of the bits.
These are the issues I need to address;
Every top edge fixtures
Fabricate lower fixings near spare wheel well, as completely different
Wheel arch fixtures (still in process). The ST bumper had one fixing which I found was misaligned with the existing bracket. I needed three fixings, two for the bumper and one for the inner wheel arch liner. I have had to carefully cut off this fixing from the Ghia bumper and tomorrow will attempt to fit, bearing in mind all the measurements and that it leans at an angle.
Crack on top rim,
Holed at end of crack
V shaped
Adhesive weld
Filler
Parking sensors - have to;
Enlarge holes
Cut out from Ghia bumper, sensor holders and fit
Fit sensor wiring stays
Fit wiring
Tools needed
Hands
Materials
Fibre glass
Gorilla two part, epoxy titanium weld
Filler
Sand paper

So all in all, having lots of fun, I don't think. But I like the ST bumper. Thank God my Dad helped teach me about patience !

Ps
Having to copy and paste this as my iPad keeps reloading this forum as there is a problem ? And I loose everything

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
Above text has not applied bullet points, so, for example, crack on top rim - below should have been bullet pointed what I have done etc.

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
Raynkar,

On my original rear bumper, the bottom fitting is far more rearward than the ST.
I've cut off this section and will fit it on its original location and then bolt it onto the ST bumper where it overlaps.

I will do this after fitting the bumper (fingers crossed !) and before fitting, I will paint the top rim and bottom sections.

It appears that we are both on a roll. I just hope that my roll will be forward and not backwards !

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
For information.
I have used Rustins ASAP multi surface satin black paint on the rear of my bumper. It is water based, covered well and I would recommend.

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
I want a car that can repair itself !

Working on the Mondeo today, I took the passenger side front wheel off to do some work on the arch. My eyes were immediately drawn to the suspension spring. It has moved sideways and almost off the bottom locating cup.
Now I did hear a bit of a clanking noise when I last used it, so I stopped the car and checked around, but could not see anything untoward.
I have inspected the spring, but cannot find any breaks, but there is an obvious problem as the spring is now pressing on the brake fluid hose and the strut appears misaligned.
The spring has obviously failed and I need to rectify it. Having no spring compressors and having read about the problems other people have experienced changing it, I think I'll use a mechanic.

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
I honestly thought about get shot of it yesterday,, she is definitely showing her age and I'm wondering if I should sell it now and buy something else ????
I really like the look of the old girl just hate the way it drives haha. Was really and am kinda still thinking octavia VRS
Hi Ian,

The Octavia VRS is a mighty fine car, but…..there is always a but !
This is the dilemma I found myself in, over a year ago and after giving it some serious thought I came to the conclusion that;
The Mondeo had served me well.
It has never let me down.
Mine is a 2.2 TDCI and it pulled my 25 foot caravan as though it wasn't there.
For it's time it was packed with goodies (2006 Ghia X), which more modern cars still haven't got.
It's done approximately 75,000 miles, so barely run in.
It has no rust, only surface rust on the chassis, which I will address.
Therefore I decided to keep it and give some loving pay back !
During the Covid I began to give it some TLC, this has progressed to include fabricating some ST body additions that, in my opinion, enhances it's already good looks.
To me, a lot of modern cars look the same and have no individual personality.
The Mondeo has, in my opinion, plenty of personality and is becoming a rare sight to see on our roads. I agree with many other opinions that it will achieve classic status in the not so distant future.
It fulfills all my criteria, the engine is bulletproof with tremendous torque and as I said above, it has all the luxuries that many modern cars do not offer.
You might think that I sound like a salesperson which I am not, it's just something for you to think about.
The choice is yours.

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
Ray,

Probably like you, I have trawled the net and cannot find anything like it.

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
i spent an entire hour today attempting to get the off side rear wheel off the car
failed
i'm now back inside again eating cookies
looks like the mot tomorrow is not going to happen :(
on a plus note, i've left the car on the axle stand with some wd40 in the hole to see if it will shift it
I hope you enjoyed your cookies.

The hardest nuts I’ve ever encountered, was when I removed my tow bar. The nuts were rusted on and probably over torqued.

I used plus gas and the bar of my trolley jack which fortunately slipped over the handle of the wrench, which gave more leverage.

My first attempt failed as the socket cracked (it was part of a cheapo set), so used a chrome vanadium one. I literally stood on the lengthened bar and hoped for the best, the nuts eventually turned and that was job done.

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
Jay,

It looks the biz, especially in it’s black coat.
Did you darken the rear lights yourself ?

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
You’ve transplanted a chrysler 7.2 V8 in the car, what do you expect ! 😁

I normally do something on mondrog everyday, weather dependant, but now covid has stopped me in my tracks. It’s been confirmed and I feel like I’m experiencing the worst hangover with flu. 😩

I’ve not been out at all, but my daughter has. She works in a primary school where she picked it up from one of the little ones. To reduce risks, she isolated in her bedroom, wore masks etc. but......hey, it happened.

She apologised to me. I told her that there was nothing to apologise about. I think teachers of these young ones are one group of fantastic people, who have a high risk of covid due to the nature of their job.

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
Thanks Ray and Nicam.

Ironically, I tested positive on the day that my booster was due !

None of us should relax or let our guard down with this virus. Eliminate or reduce risks, where possible. It has no respect for whoever it infects, young or old.

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
Dojj,

I thank you so much for your advice. Im so happy that both yourself and your wife have mainly got through this virus, but realise, like you say, there can be lasting effects. Mate, you’ve put a up great fight and still fighting 👏 your words give me encouragement at a time when I’m finding it difficult, just to get out of bed, let alone having the motivation to do anything.

All I can say is that I’ve had the two vaccines and still, it has knocked me sideways. Your right, it’s a bit hit and miss long term and much like yourself, will have to deal with it as and when.

I hope you and your wife have had your boosters and if not, have been booked in.

I apologise to everybody for going off subject.

My main concern now, is my wife, living in a house with two positive covid persons !

Dojj, keep on making me laugh, I find it the best remedy for all what life throws at you 😁

·
Mosquito
546 Posts
Your finishing the roof of your ‘time out’ building, where Mondeo MK3 owners can go when they become frustrated and angry when working on their cars. For example, it will help with hammer through windscreen affliction.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts