Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 831 Posts

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,193 Posts
Looked at mine a couple of times, but drove my captur instead :)

·
13,193 Posts
Washed and waxed, cleaned engine bay, primed and silver chrome painted the suspension strut covers and battery box cover, hard wired in a four way cigarette lighter adapter to the glove box, took it for a spin!
Post up a pic. Chrome rattle can paint is notorious for never looking quite like the chrome on the can top :)
Be good to see your results :)

·
13,193 Posts
Not a great photo but hopefully the chrome spray can be seen, not sure what other parts to do with it, any ideas?
Id suggest ditching the strut covers as they look a bit tacky whether they are painted or not. I think it looks nicer to actually paint the three parts of the strut brace. You could also paint your inlet manifold or polish it.
You can replace the strut brace, wing mount and other bolts with polished stainless ones or coloured ones. You could buy a nee set of silicone engine hoses in a colour of your choice.

Reactions: lazarusv6

·
13,193 Posts
I agree on the strut covers but it's amazing what boredom does to you lol. I will have a look at hoses, choosing the colour is the hard part. But as for the inlet manifold, I am yet to gain the confidence to remove it, I do like them polished or painted though. Are they difficult to remove? I've also been looking at touching in the writing on the cover but am yet to go anywhere to get the correct paint.
The 220 inlet maniford is a bugger to remove. The 2.5 manifold is easier i think.

Any normal rattle can paint will do for your lettering. No need for VHT paint or any other special paint types.

In my above pic i used normal paints all over the engine bay. The manifold was ford race red, the engine cover and idle control valve are ford stardust silver and the strut brace is gloss black.

·
13,193 Posts
I fitted the rarer boot tray today. I aldeady had the parcel shelf one so bought the other to complete the set ;)
I realise my boot needs a massive tidy up, but have posted these pics as i realise many people have never seen this lower tray.

b976794337c8a9a97dbacc2993f74df8.jpg

·
13,193 Posts
Just got in from fitting new flat aero wipers, new rear wiper, smoked clear side repeaters and bright white Blue tint sidelight bulbs. Will post photos tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas why the rear wiper on the estate is someone's and what can be done to prevent it missing the small patch at the very top of the rear windscreen? It's much better than it was but still misses a small amount maybe because of the curve of the glass??
It could be simply because the blade is a naff one. High quality flat aeros are a LOT more flexible than cheap ones.
I have fitted Bosch aeros for a few years now and really like them. I fitted an Asda branded wiper as a temporary measure a few months back and it missed portions of the screen as it just wasnt flexible enough.
I fitted the rarer boot tray today. I aldeady had the parcel shelf one so bought the other to complete the set ;)
I realise my boot needs a massive tidy up, but have posted these pics as i realise many people have never seen this lower tray.
b976794337c8a9a97dbacc2993f74df8.jpg
Is that for saloons only? or for the estate as well? Looks good and useful
These are only for saloons and hatchbacks.

·
13,193 Posts
Yesterday I fitted a new leather gearstick gaiter and a new gearknob.

This is the gearknob:

1B153682-A310-4EE3-86BC-3361A28B1FD7.jpg

This is it showing its LED illuminated green numbers:

F0F974FD-0D61-4078-BEB9-751D22168116.jpg

·
13,193 Posts
I replaced two bolts that had rusted :)
Doesnt seem like much but they were bolts on my alloy pedal covers. Due to a back injury this was a really awkward and painful job :(

Two of the securing bolts are black so they match the rubber pads, the pic below shows one of the rusted bolts.

33892ca01f22f8c747f6db188d239fc2.jpg

·
13,193 Posts
Washed car today AGAIN I park it near a tree which seems to secrete a sticky substance all over the windows, doors and handles every few days. Hoping it's just a spring thing; never known it before. Anyway, car clean YET AGAIN.
If it's a sycamore tree expect small sap deposits for a large percentage of the year.

·
13,193 Posts
£96.99 for a gear stick!!! If I fitted that then my mondeo would be worth £106.99 because I have just put £10 diesel in too
It was pretty expensive but that's partly due to it being illuminated but also because its for the gear pattern of a six speed mondy. The five speed pattern ones can be as low as £80 (if £80 can be low in sensible terms lol).
Its worth noting the normal Ford titanium coloured gear knob I had before costs around £40.

·
13,193 Posts
£96.99 for a gear stick!!! If I fitted that then my mondeo would be worth £106.99 because I have just put £10 diesel in too
It was pretty expensive but that's partly due to it being illuminated but also because its for the gear pattern of a six speed mondy. The five speed pattern ones can be as low as £80 (if £80 can be low in sensible terms lol).
Its worth noting the normal Ford titanium coloured gear knob I had before costs around £40.

The pedal covers are often around £100 these days too.

·
13,193 Posts
Ouch thats painfull. The silver on mine has worn quite a bit so am looking to replace it, i really do like the look of your illuminated one just not the price. While on the subject, are the short shifter kits easy to fit? Had my eye on one for a while
No idea on short shifters for the mk3. Ive only seen them fitted to the mk2 and cant remember if they use the same gearbox/mount etc

·
13,193 Posts
I'd like that same question answered too because mine is only 5 speed they seem to be only advertised for the 6?
Which question?

·
13,193 Posts
Took my mondy for its MOT this morning.
It passed but has three advisories: rear brake pads are thin, both rear tyres getting close to legal limit.
These are easy fixes. i knew the tyres didnt have much tread left but the car has only done 2400 miles since its last MOT so tread wear is less on this car than most.

·
13,193 Posts
And the third?
The pads count as one (i suppose most people replace both sides at once). The tyres count as two.

A set of genuine Ford rear pads are around £30. For the tyres it will be around £210 if I stick with Michelin PS4s.

·
13,193 Posts
I bought a Ford screen cleaning cloth hahahahaha.
Its the kind of thing opticians give away for free but Ford happily charge for :)

48bf25598a11ccbe98dd77fba6f7da41.jpg

I saw one in a Ford dealers today while looking for a new car, but still had to buy from ebay as the parts dept was closed.

·
13,193 Posts
Fitted a new LED into the illuminated ignition surround. These seem to blow about every four to five months.
Fitted a cigar lighter to the rear of the centre console.

·
13,193 Posts
Today I fitted some high tech and modern accesories :)

Basically I made sure the new one pound coin sits properly in the small glovebox hahahahahaha

55cbbea5f29b7fc912a56a1aefc61aed.jpg

·
13,193 Posts
You'll always need spare money to fill a jerry can when you run out of fuel :D
You forget I don't do many miles in this car. If I filled the tank to the top each time it got empty I'd only have to fill it 7-10 times per year depending on if I was town or motorway driving :) :)

Thats based on my current 2500 miles per year in it.

1 - 20 of 831 Posts