Ford Automobiles Forum banner
3081 - 3100 of 3192 Posts

·
Hiding under a Rock
663 Posts
Nothing at all. But yesterday adjusted aftermarket fan controller to kick in at about 90 degrees because it wouldn't turn on until 102. I know that's low but most of the times it runs at high 70s to mid 80s when driving at steady 50kph (which is what I normally do - thankfully I don't get out in the rush hour any more)

Where do you guys normally get parts from these days? What are the prices like from Ford dealers in the UK?

I will have to buy quite a bit of stuff (cooling bits and suspension stuff) at some stage and I wouldn't trust eBay aftermarket cheapies any more ever since I bought an expansion tank off eBay which split open when it first ran. And it's not particularly palatable when a local dealer quotes GBP250 for a thermostat assembly (yeah it's a stat + housing and all in there but still)

·
Clever Clauggs
4,371 Posts

·
Hiding under a Rock
663 Posts
With ebay buy known brands and from Ford dealers is best bet,

Some oem old stock is worth keeping an eye out for also.

Shipping abroad can be a problem as some won't post.

Have a look at https://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/
I'm thinking of using a freight forwarder and send surface. Things are so expensive here it's not funny.

I can't really compare Ford stuff buying over there and here, but when I used to have Citroens, and getting stuff from GFC or Eurocarparts, it would work out far cheaper even taking the shipping into account.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ordered a lambda sensor from Autodoc and they were a f*cking nightmare.
Ended up telling them to ram it and got a refund. Very, very poor in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Hiding under a Rock
663 Posts
I guess Germany is a good option as they have(or had?) lots of Mk3. A lot of vendors on eBay.de list Mk3 parts. I think they speak good English too (well, not compared to the UK, I hope not, lol) Anyway I was in Strasbourg a couple of years ago and hard time communicating in French ('cos my French is rubbish) but soon as cross the border, it's like a different world.

I bought some gearbox oil from Germany that worked out well in terms of price. (That was Castrol Syntrans FE 75W, the good stuff)

As I'm not a hurry to get the stuff to (sort of) restore the car, buying a bunch from the UK/EU and shipping over surface could work out well, not just in terms of cost but also availability and variety of parts.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I honestly thought about get shot of it yesterday,, she is definitely showing her age and I'm wondering if I should sell it now and buy something else ????
I really like the look of the old girl just hate the way it drives haha. Was really and am kinda still thinking octavia VRS

·
Megger
2,375 Posts
"And it's not particularly palatable when a local dealer quotes GBP250 for a thermostat assembly (yeah it's a stat + housing and all in there but still)"

That is an unreasonable comment. How do you expect dealers to get rich, afford big bonuses, live in massive houses drive and the latest imported Ferrari if you are not prepared to pay their inflated prices?

·
Hiding under a Rock
663 Posts
"And it's not particularly palatable when a local dealer quotes GBP250 for a thermostat assembly (yeah it's a stat + housing and all in there but still)"

That is an unreasonable comment. How do you expect dealers to get rich, afford big bonuses, live in massive houses drive and the latest imported Ferrari if you are not prepared to pay their inflated prices?
Well, it's only a Ford, not some Euroblingmobile.

Also the comment was in reference to the price difference vs the UK (I don't know that's what you'd pay over there but my experience tells me it's always far more expensive than what I'd pay in the UK/EU)

·
Mosquito
306 Posts
I honestly thought about get shot of it yesterday,, she is definitely showing her age and I'm wondering if I should sell it now and buy something else ????
I really like the look of the old girl just hate the way it drives haha. Was really and am kinda still thinking octavia VRS
Hi Ian,

The Octavia VRS is a mighty fine car, but…..there is always a but !
This is the dilemma I found myself in, over a year ago and after giving it some serious thought I came to the conclusion that;
The Mondeo had served me well.
It has never let me down.
Mine is a 2.2 TDCI and it pulled my 25 foot caravan as though it wasn't there.
For it's time it was packed with goodies (2006 Ghia X), which more modern cars still haven't got.
It's done approximately 75,000 miles, so barely run in.
It has no rust, only surface rust on the chassis, which I will address.
Therefore I decided to keep it and give some loving pay back !
During the Covid I began to give it some TLC, this has progressed to include fabricating some ST body additions that, in my opinion, enhances it's already good looks.
To me, a lot of modern cars look the same and have no individual personality.
The Mondeo has, in my opinion, plenty of personality and is becoming a rare sight to see on our roads. I agree with many other opinions that it will achieve classic status in the not so distant future.
It fulfills all my criteria, the engine is bulletproof with tremendous torque and as I said above, it has all the luxuries that many modern cars do not offer.
You might think that I sound like a salesperson which I am not, it's just something for you to think about.
The choice is yours.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Cheers mate I’m still kinda undecided but I did the same thing with ST170 practically rebuilt it and add a host optional extras that mine never had , Recaro’s, sub and amp and 9006 stereo, heated front screen etc. Just not sure on which way to go

·
Mondeo Lover
831 Posts
got the car up in the air today, took inner arch liners off on one side and wire brushed and vactan'd all the metal work in there then got the schutz gun on and undersealed the inner arches and 3/4s of the underneath, tomorrow get the other 2 liners off and do the same in there and then finish off the underneath, looks good so far.

noticed when the wheels were off though my both lower arms are goosed and both drop links so new ones ordered and hopefully come thursday, getting the car all tip top for its MOT at the start of August, then most likely try and sell her on (although ive thought about that before and ended up keeping her so we will see)

·
Megger
2,375 Posts
Hi Ian,

The Octavia VRS is a mighty fine car, but…..there is always a but !
This is the dilemma I found myself in, over a year ago and after giving it some serious thought I came to the conclusion that;
The Mondeo had served me well.
It has never let me down.
Mine is a 2.2 TDCI and it pulled my 25 foot caravan as though it wasn't there.
For it's time it was packed with goodies (2006 Ghia X), which more modern cars still haven't got.
It's done approximately 75,000 miles, so barely run in.
It has no rust, only surface rust on the chassis, which I will address.
Therefore I decided to keep it and give some loving pay back !
During the Covid I began to give it some TLC, this has progressed to include fabricating some ST body additions that, in my opinion, enhances it's already good looks.
To me, a lot of modern cars look the same and have no individual personality.
The Mondeo has, in my opinion, plenty of personality and is becoming a rare sight to see on our roads. I agree with many other opinions that it will achieve classic status in the not so distant future.
It fulfills all my criteria, the engine is bulletproof with tremendous torque and as I said above, it has all the luxuries that many modern cars do not offer.
You might think that I sound like a salesperson which I am not, it's just something for you to think about.
The choice is yours.
Great answer. Pretty much how I feel about my Mk3 although it has almost 200k on the clock. She is purring along but does need a bit of TLC. A/C not working, headunit not working and although I cannot find anything obviously wrong with the suspension and various bushes, things do sound bit loose when going over bumps.

On a totally different topic, with the up-graded web site, I now get a 'Enable Push Notifications' message. I have no idea what a Push Notification is? Help!

·
Clever Clauggs
4,371 Posts
Push notification,notifies you when new content is posted even when you are not on its site,someone correct me if wrong.

Today i glued the splits in the rubber seals on the sills as i'm not paying £58 each side also cleaned up and sprayed rust spots on base of doors in blazing sunshine.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
That would be my guess on the push notification also. Message or alert sent no matter what your doing.

One of those things I disabled on my phone because sometimes it would not tell me where the notification
came from. Notification at 2AM and 4AM rather pointless if the stupid phone didnt tell me what app
sent the notification.

·
Hiding under a Rock
663 Posts
what the flippin heck happarened to the forum. is it any better or changes for the sake of it?

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
It was announced about a month ago, where have you been? :D

·
Hiding under a Rock
663 Posts
under a rock, by the looks of it. lol (typical, really)
it seems that i lost the existing threads that I was following.
i'll have to look into that.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Still finding my way around also, seem to have lost some bits but trying to track it down.

You appear to have a new custom title. :)

3081 - 3100 of 3192 Posts