Ford Automobiles Forum banner
3221 - 3240 of 3267 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Ideally you would want to swap the motor with a stepper motor so you can always move it back the
exact same amount as it dipped.

Guess you could use a flywheel which is marked in some way to count the distance moved? No idea how
they did it on the old Rovers but it also had coming home lights and a few other nice features that we don't
get on supposedly high spec cars.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hi

With all these discussions on modifying mirrors I thought you may be interested in this post: Mirror + Indicator

Peter

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Reactions: ul9601

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,163 Posts
Ideally you would want to swap the motor with a stepper motor so you can always move it back the
exact same amount as it dipped.

Guess you could use a flywheel which is marked in some way to count the distance moved? No idea how
they did it on the old Rovers but it also had coming home lights and a few other nice features that we don't
get on supposedly high spec cars.
My Hyundai Ionic has dipping mirrors for reverse and I’ve grown to really like it.
For the last few weeks I’ve been driving a Kia Exceed and that doesn’t have the feature, despite the two cars sharing an awful lot of the same tech.
It’s surprising how much I miss the feature.

The kia also has a power operated tailgate, which is something I thought I would really like, but it’s just too slow for my liking, and I keep going to open it by hand which then causes it to go into meltdown and stop working :)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hi

Out of curiosity, on cars you have driven with auto dipping mirrors. Do both dip at the same time or do sensors tell car which side you are parking?

Considering my MK5 has the ability to park itself, cannot understand why it cannot dip the mirrors without being selected while I park the thing.

Peter

·
13,163 Posts
Hi

Out of curiosity, on cars you have driven with auto dipping mirrors. Do both dip at the same time or do sensors tell car which side you are parking?

Considering my MK5 has the ability to park itself, cannot understand why it cannot dip the mirrors without being selected while I park the thing.

Peter
You raise an interesting point, but, how would the car know which side to concentrate on?
Might sound silly, but there are far too many occasions where the car would ‘see’ things on both sides.
An easy example could be reverse parking on the left hand side of a narrow street.
Although you might be parking on the left, at the time you start to manoeuvre there might only be cars to your right.

I think it’s just easier for both mirrors to dip at the same time :).

Then there is the annoying thing that most door mirrors still aren't photo chromatic :(

·
Hiding under a Rock
709 Posts
Hi

Peter
my experience, limited to citroens and a bit of an old tech, it worked something like this:
it dips the mirror which the remote control has selected (its been a while but i dont think it has centre position, i.e. like mondeo has it, so you can't accidently move it at centre position).
e.g. if you leave remote control toggle to near side, it ll dip near side mirror and so on.
not sure about the UK, there aren't all that many one way street here so it mostly worked out for me.
i used to get annoyed when it could not find its original fwd memory position - used to go spaz and hunting for the memorised position for a while then it quit trying.

·
Hiding under a Rock
709 Posts
...The kia also has a power operated tailgate, which is something I thought I would really like, but it’s just too slow for my liking, and I keep going to open it by hand which then causes it to go into meltdown and stop working :)
I always wondered about power tailgate - unlike saloon or hatch, estate tailgate sticks out the profile of the car when opened. The cars you mentioned are SUV I'm guessing but they are essentially taller estates, how does it know if a car or a wall is right behind it so that it doesn't smack into it?

·
Hiding under a Rock
709 Posts
Hi

With all these discussions on modifying mirrors I thought you may be interested in this post: Mirror + Indicator

Peter

View attachment 258383
Is that your car?
That one looks more useful as a side marker/repeater - other cars I've seen have more lens area faces forward so act like a proper indicator...
In any case, I converted my fog lamp (well, the blank that covered the flog lamp location) into the second indicator, not sure I would need the third one. Actually I screwed up then - at first did the headlamp body colour mod, the mistake I made was leaving the original indicator lens as is. What I should have done was to swap out with some sort of clear one and make it LED DRL. Now I really can't take the thing apart again, 'cos I used a properly strong RTV to put it back together. Then door mirror indicator would have complimented the main indicator (at fog lamp location) well.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hi

Yes that was my car.

Peter
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Hiding under a Rock
709 Posts
I was wondering if clear lens with orange bulb is more effective / readily visible than orange lens with clear bulb (for indicator) because it is already orange and under a certain lighting condition, it may not be obvious that bulb behind the lens is flashing/lit.
Maybe I'll have to upgrade mirror indicator (with clear lens) after all...

·
13,163 Posts
I always wondered about power tailgate - unlike saloon or hatch, estate tailgate sticks out the profile of the car when opened. The cars you mentioned are SUV I'm guessing but they are essentially taller estates, how does it know if a car or a wall is right behind it so that it doesn't smack into it?
I suppose if the owner was stupid enough to open the tailgate into a wall they would have also been stupid enough to operate an auto opening tailgate too.

Its a bit like driving forwards into a wall……you can see the wall, and it’s a silly thing to do ;)

While the key can be used to operate the tailgate on the Exceed, the way I use it is to press the tailgate button on the outside to open it, and the button inside to close it. Both methods require enough room behind the car for me to be able to get to the button. In fairness I‘ve not had an issue with opening tailgates into walls, so its not something I’ve had to ever think about :)

·
13,163 Posts
Thread drift, but gadget related.

I also drove an Aygo earlier in the week.
I parked up on the drive, got out of the car………..Then realised I had left it running lol.
It took a bit of getting used to being in a new car, and needing to put the key into or out of the ignition again
:)

·
Hiding under a Rock
709 Posts
I suppose if the owner was stupid enough to open the tailgate into a wall they would have also been stupid enough to operate an auto opening tailgate too...
Well, I haven't had experience with power tailgate myself so I don't know but can you not open the tailgate from inside with a switch? Or for that matter, open it using a remote control away from the car?
If the car is fancy enough to have a power tailgate, it also should have some sort of sensors to detect impending collision with a wall or nearby parked car and stop it?

·
13,163 Posts
Well, I haven't had experience with power tailgate myself so I don't know but can you not open the tailgate from inside with a switch? Or for that matter, open it using a remote control away from the car?
If the car is fancy enough to have a power tailgate, it also should have some sort of sensors to detect impending collision with a wall or nearby parked car and stop it?
As per above, the tailgate can be opened using the key.
The amount of sensors needed to see if it was ‘safe’ to open the tailgate would probably add thousands of pounds to the price of a car, plus need body panel changes.
There would also be the issue that if say another six sensors were added in addition to the four in the rear bumper, the car would also need to be able to tell the difference between the owner or something they were carrying and fixed objects near the car.

When the tailgate opens, it opens just like an auto opening tailgate, and those have been around for decades without cars having extra sensors.
Normal gas strut tailgates have been around even longer, and those didn’t need any devices to ensure safe opening.
It goes back to driver stupidity, or taking care lol :)
A driver (for example) could be in a low garage or under pipe work in a multi storey car park. if they see the tailgate would hit something it’s up to them if they choose to damage their car lol.

With using the power tailgate with the button on the key it’s even safer than a gas strut tailgate on something like a mk3 mondy, as rather than just opening fully upwards the powered tailgate can be stopped at any height or amount of opening.

I can see where you are coming from, but look at it like the ability to drive and steer some cars from a tablet or the ignition key. The driver still has to use common sense, and not rely on the car to know best…………….Cars already tell the owners off for enough things*, we shouldn’t encourage them to do more ;)
I’ve come to ‘enjoy’ the Ionic telling me off for coasting or taking my hands off the steering wheel. :)

Edited to add:
The coasting things can be amusing.
If I’m driving up to a junction with the sat nav off and am coasting the car will tell me off.
If I have the sat nav on and am driving up to the same junction, if the car will get there with no accelerator it will tell me to coast to save fuel.

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,055 Posts
i spent an entire hour today attempting to get the off side rear wheel off the car
failed
i'm now back inside again eating cookies
looks like the mot tomorrow is not going to happen :(
on a plus note, i've left the car on the axle stand with some wd40 in the hole to see if it will shift it

·
Mosquito
Mondeo MK 3 2.2 TDCI Ghia X
376 Posts
i spent an entire hour today attempting to get the off side rear wheel off the car
failed
i'm now back inside again eating cookies
looks like the mot tomorrow is not going to happen :(
on a plus note, i've left the car on the axle stand with some wd40 in the hole to see if it will shift it
I hope you enjoyed your cookies.

The hardest nuts I’ve ever encountered, was when I removed my tow bar. The nuts were rusted on and probably over torqued.

I used plus gas and the bar of my trolley jack which fortunately slipped over the handle of the wrench, which gave more leverage.

My first attempt failed as the socket cracked (it was part of a cheapo set), so used a chrome vanadium one. I literally stood on the lengthened bar and hoped for the best, the nuts eventually turned and that was job done.

·
Hiding under a Rock
709 Posts
Just checked out crack ends on the splash shield I acquired the other day.
Quite a few cracks!
3 coming out of the slot where a chunk is missing and another long one.
Will stop drill and glue on a doubler made from the old useless splash shield came off my car.

Reactions: dojj

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,055 Posts
well, i'm a bit miffed that the tester has left the advisories on there after i got them fixed :(
the springs have surface rust on them only and the clamp is rusted away so it needed changing
can't be rs'ed to go back and get them removed though so they'll just have to stay there

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Stupid they put rusty springs as an advisory, its cosmetic only.

The springs I have seen break often still have the black coating intact, so its not a sign the
springs are weak and about to fail.

3221 - 3240 of 3267 Posts