Ford Automobiles Forum banner
3561 - 3580 of 3626 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,287 Posts
Hope you left appropriate feedback.. If they don't want to ship to your location they should block countries
they do not want to sell to. They need to setup GSP where ebay sets the postal charges or set their
own postage costs properly.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
I always thought the shipping cost is calculated from eBay formula of some sort, based on dimensions and weight you put in when setting up an item for sale. Which is why things are generally so expensive ex-UK, ex-US and also ex-Germany. Eastern Europe seem far cheaper for some reason and I had no problem with previous purchases from Latvia and Slovenia etc. So I didn't think much of it this time either.
I reported to eBay and hopefully they'll do something about it. I made the point that I want compensation for the cable I bought and eBay recover that cost from the vendor of the CD changer, so will see what comes out of that.

·
Super Moderator
31,287 Posts
Unlikely for ebay to do anything about the cable costs.

Several options for a seller on postage. They list the item and estimated postage costs, but often they
forget that it costs more to ship outside the UK. They may say £5 postage but thats UK only,

They have the option of adding different prices to different countries or they can use GSP which
adds on the postage costs and even sorts out any VAT or Duty that needs to be paid. The seller
ships to a local hub where ebay take over the rest of the shipment process. The postage and
additional costs will be added to the listing automatically.

I have posted stuff at a loss before due to under estimating the postage but not all sellers will.

Postage from the US is stupidly expensive. I wanted a small sub 200gram item which was often on
sale in US stores for $60. £115+ in UK stores. Most US sellers said no to shipping to the UK and the
rare ones that did wanted between $80 and $120. So I would have been lumbered with additional costs
when it hit the UK shores making it pointless ordering from the US.

Its mad when I can order something from China stupidly cheap which goes via the US on its way here.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
Yeah it's the 21st century - things are supposed to be cheaper, not more expensive.
The reason I had the cable shipped to the freight forwarder was their shipping cost was insanely expensive direct to new zealand. (GBP21.74)
I might buy some small stuff for the mondy and consolidate the shipment.
Is there any good Ford dealers in Southall, Middlesex?

·
Super Moderator
31,287 Posts
One of the Ford dealers on ebay are fairly close to me, they can be cheaper than aftermarket parts
sometimes. The washer jets I sent out to a member recently cost less than used ebay items.

EDIT: Just checked Royal Mail.
Parcel less than 2kg 2 - 12 weeks delivery £12.95 only insured for £20 extra to increase that (£30.13 upto £250)
Standard delivery 6 - 7 business days £28 again only insured for £20. (£32.90 for upto £250 insured)

Seems not cheap to post to NZ. You should move from under that rock. :D

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
Probably cheaper to fly over and max out on luggage allowance. 🤣

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
As above I bought some stuff in the UK which is now sitting at the freight forwarder in Southall.
I'm thinking of buying some small and light mondy parts to have consolidated and sent my way.
Any suggestions?

·
Mk3 4 LYFE
387 Posts
Door latches. Have a spare drivers one at least. Bonnet latch is nice to have too.

Drop links. Anything else suspension too, they don't share anything with other cars. Rear gearbox mount.

Any bits of rubber trim you can get your hands on. Some of this is getting tricky to find in good condition now. Around the headlights is the worst for it, but also down the side of the windscreen is commonly perished.

Handbrake cable probably not a bad idea either.

Fuel pump if you can get one cheap.

Coil packs, although they were used on a lot of other Ford models and are probably locally available.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
Ok that's probably getting a bit heavy lol.
I really need to pay a visit to the UK for cheap part. I think a set of shocks would be good too.
Speaking of suspension bits, are there aftermarket anti roll bars for Mk3?
Usually we get a lot of performance parts from Australia but Mk3 was the only Mondeo not sold in Aussie, which makes things rather difficult.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
Yes I used to get those nice stuff for my old citroens before global shipping gone bonkers.
I'd like some new springs (not convinced if I should get lowering springs as it's an estate - which would defeats the purpose) and thicker anti roll bars, Bilsteins (I'm assuming these are gas shocks vs non-Bilstein oil)

·
Clever Clauggs
4,610 Posts
Today I decide to rip the tyre that had a slow puncture which I patched up in summer, caught it on the step now £90 out of pocket

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
Thinking of buying a thermostat - obviously the problem is there are two types and from the feel I had this morning I'm pretty sure mine's the one with electrical connector (i.e. expensive one).
Is there a way to positively identify the part number given VIN number? Does anyone have the Ford ETIS thingy to find out the part number for the VIN?
I previously asked the local dealer and they quoted ~GBP200 and they asked me my registration plate number (from which they can figure out VIN number) - that's pretty expensive so I gave it a miss then I'm thinking about it as I getting a few bits from the UK sent over via a freight forwarder.

·
Super Moderator
31,287 Posts
You can insert your VIN into catcar or 7zap which is free and does not need a signup process.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
Ah that's the trick. I had mine set up so it goes straight to Mk 3 without VIN so I didn't see that.
Yep it's the expensive electrical one alright.

·
Super Moderator
31,287 Posts
NO JUST NO.... That's cheating.. :D

As engine bays got tighter and tighter the position of some drain plugs makes you wonder if it was an afterthought
or they had a pan with a drain plug not knowing its intended application and nobody cared when it ended
up hidden behind something or pours oil all over another part when draining.

3561 - 3580 of 3626 Posts