Ford Automobiles Forum banner
3581 - 3600 of 3626 Posts

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
Speaking of which, is it me or the radiator drain plug quite poorly designed for use?
Other cars I had have a spigot you can put a hose when the drain plug is loosened, so the coolant can be drained to a pan without splashing all over the adjacent subframe and brackets etc

·
Super Moderator
31,287 Posts
Not all of them have a drain plug. Even with radiators that have them I usually just remove the
bottom hose instead. drains faster and no risk of having a damaged drain plug.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
I see your point but I don't like to undo radiator hoses unless I have a replacement ready to go in case the old one's not up to scratch. Heat sealing can make it hard to take it apart and worst scenario is to damage the radiator outlet/inlet while removing the hoses.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
Does the mat clip on to the carpet then? My carpet doesn't have the plastic thingy for mat to clip on to so they must had different spec/part number carpets depending on trim level.

·
Super Moderator
31,287 Posts
No small plastic rings or tabs on the floor just in front of the seat? Cannot remember which cars had them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does the mat clip on to the carpet then? My carpet doesn't have the plastic thingy for mat to clip on to so they must had different spec/part number carpets depending on trim level.
There are two small holes in the carpet in front of my drivers seat. Unfortunately the owner before me decided to put aftermarket mats in and made his own holes. So I had to pull them clips out which have left two unsightly glue marks. Fortunately my mats cover the marks in question

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,202 Posts
The fixings come with the mats when the mats are new.
They simply have wide course threads so they can be screwed into the carpet.

The ‘eyes’ that are in the mats can also be removed. I have removed the eyes from old scabby mats and fitted them to aftermarket mats so they can use the same location fixings.

Edited to add.
The eyes can only be removed from carpet fabric mats, they are moulded into the rubber mats.

Reactions: ul9601

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
I gave the cream coloured leather head rests a clean. It looked clean when I bought them but comparing where the back of the head rests to the other surfaces, it was definitely not clean enough. Gave a bit scrub as well, and no more dirt was showing up on the cloth but there is still difference in colour...

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
Continuing from the above post, is the leather surface which is sat on/head rested etc have different texture? It looks like it has coarser texture compared to other panels which seem smoother. I wonder if it was designed that way to be functional.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
more boring stuff. used leather conditioner on the aforementioned head rest.
i'd better have a shower before put the clean ones on the car.

·
Super Moderator
31,287 Posts
Looked at a few cars with beige and cream interiors. It was always in the back of my mind that
there is a high probability that I will ruin the interior...

Small dink in my drivers door thats starting to bug me, but I know its not worth doing. If I did
fix it I would probably buy a new car soon after.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
I had two cars with cream leather interior for total period of 7 years, it can get easily filthy depending on how you look after it (or don't).
The first car was fine - obviously the previous owner looked after it and lets just say I didn't jump in the car straight after working on a car etc. The second car was another story - the previous owner never seemed to have washed his hands or clothes (I thought he worked at a coal mine). The driver's side seat has nice blackish tint to it and the seat belt might as well have been black. It took a lot of scrubbing to get them out...

Reactions: Macmondy3L

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,175 Posts
i insured mine today
i don't think it's moved for the last 2 months though 🤣

·
13,202 Posts
more boring stuff. used leather conditioner on the aforementioned head rest.
i'd better have a shower before put the clean ones on the car.
The headrests are made of vinyl, as are the seat fronts, sides and backs. Use cleaners for vinyl, and of course don’t use leather conditioner :)

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
The headrests are made of vinyl, as are the seat fronts, sides and backs. Use cleaners for vinyl, and of course don’t use leather conditioner :)
Surely Ghia trim level interior should have leather upholstery! This isn't '70s any more...

·
13,202 Posts
Surely Ghia trim level interior should have leather upholstery! This isn't '70s any more...
Nope :)
None of the trim levels have proper leather.
The faces of the seats are leather, but the sides, front and backs are vinyl. The headrests and armrests are vinyl too. Obviously the door cards are covered in vinyl.

The seat faces are leather, but it’s coated leather rather than dyed leather. This means the colour was sprayed on, and is effectively just like a paint. As the colour sits on top of the leather rather than inside the leather this means conditioner applied to the seat can’t actually get to the leather.

·
Hiding under a Rock
940 Posts
changed oil. castrol magnatec stop start 5w30 A5. normally shops do sale around easter but this time only 10L one was on sale, around 60 quid. my drain plug s a bit rounded off but still ok. maybe i should think about putting a valve instead...

3581 - 3600 of 3626 Posts